Holy $[H]!+ Batman linux is Awesome

windows client is 32bit...
Linux Client is 64bit... it gets lower tpf because it pounds the system harder...
you have not been fully using your chip...
Linux hangs on unstable machines...

Check if stock is stable... if not then continue with trouble shooting linux specific... if it is... work on the oc...

Thanks patriot, after this WU drops I will drop it down. I didnt realize that the linux client was actually 64 bit! Thanks for the info, so now I will know that when linux hangs its unstable. I must not be too far from stable bacause it takes most of the day before anything happens.

I know this sounds noobish, but is the Windows client that inefficient or is it because of the overhead Windows brings? Can't wait for the 2500K so I can build a Linux box with spare parts.

From my understanding and what I can tell is that it is a combination of things. Linux is more efficient, uses less resources, less overhead, and also more fully utilizes the hardware. So all of those things make it much better. In my case 44%+ faster.

From my understanding and what I can tell is that it is a combination of things. Linux is more efficient, uses less resources, less overhead, and also more fully utilizes the hardware. So all of those things make it much better. In my case 44%+ faster.

IMHO 90% of it is the differences in FAH client - 64 bit client and different optimisations.

Wow, I would not have expected that it was just that. Does that mean the linux client can address more than 4gb of ram? Isnt that one of the problems with the epic rigs with high core/thread count is that they run out of memory?

64 bit applications in general enjoy at least a 10 percent boost in performance over their 32 bit counterparts on the right hardware (all of it these days). I remember when AMD first released the 64 bit goodness and all of the comparisons said the same thing you get more performance by making the switch. It may be more than 10% these days for all I know.

Wow, I would not have expected that it was just that. Does that mean the linux client can address more than 4gb of ram? Isnt that one of the problems with the epic rigs with high core/thread count is that they run out of memory?

Bigadv nearing 100% can run out of memory when using 60-64 cores and the 32 bit client according to sfield.

But is is not as simple as just 64bit vs 32 bit - there are a bunch of optimisations and gromacs tweaks going on, to a non-programmer like me it can sail right over my head. But from conversations with sfield who are involved, it is not simple.

In my personal experience with 3D rendering software, going from 32 bit to 64 bit was actually a % or two slower, but more than made up for by eliminating the 4GB barrier.

This makes comparisons of linux v windows pretty hard to do, but the gromacs/FAH client version is by far the most dramatic driver of frame times.

Problem solved, dropped muliplier by .5, and no freezes anymore.

Back