Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

Heatgun worked! :) Hopefully this will last a while!

it was a HUGE issue with those units, i must have changed out hand full's of those boards in a 1 month period. I got good at tearing that laptop down, it was about 18 min fully torn down, then new board in and tested and new service tage & bios updated..

Just had success with this on a BFG GTX 285 which I had left for dead months ago.

961-aww-yeah.jpg

Didn't work for me on my 8800GT 512MB. Though it could have something to do with the fact that I damaged, or well kinda accidentally removed some of those little tiny metal bits that are around the GPU. Like not on the GPU but in between the GPU and the edges of the GPU. They sorta came off when I was using a Q-Tip to remove all the thermal paste around them because I was scared that maybe it could be conductive and could be causing issues.

The problem my card had was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP4txhrl1ek

That video is without the drivers installed but that was what it would do when playing games like Skyrim and stuff. Funny that it didn't do it at all when playing other things like Borderlands. A person in another forum said that it could be bad VRAM and that Borderlands and other games may not be using that VRAM but when it does get used that it shows physical display issues like in the video. He was probably right.

Either way I tried baking, but to no avail. Card at least booted up and had no problems in POST before or anything. Just when playing Skyrim and randomly when using my computer.

Here are some pics of the baking and videos too. Bummer it didn't work. Guess I'm just going to have to stick with my crappy GT 530 1GB and pay for a GTX 560Ti when I get a bit more money.

Video:
Please excuse the bad humour and dirty oven.
http://youtu.be/sgZzravO_uc

2kkeu9.jpg

^^^^^ Card suspended on the Al-foil balls and a piece of Al-foil on the bottom of the plate.

m7gxc.jpg

^^^^^ Card is in the oven baking now.

654uxc.jpg

^^^^^ Card has been baked and is about to be put back together. Note that it's completely clean, (but if you look carefully you might be able to see that some of the little metal pieces that I explained before have come off)

xaw9ip.jpg

^^^^^ Card is now enjoying its new home (in the trash).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pity it didn't work for me. This card would have been plenty powerful enough to play the things I wanted.. My 8800GT is now resting in the bin, where it probably should have gone a long time ago. It no longer boots up at all now, so it's gone from semi-working to just sitting in the computer with the CPU and GPU fans spinning on max refusing to even POST. Waste of time putting new Thermal paste on it twice and cleaning and all the maintenance I went through to try and get it to work.

Last edited:
Didn't work for me on my 8800GT 512MB. Though it could have something to do with the fact that I damaged, or well kinda accidentally removed some of those little tiny metal bits that are around the GPU. Like not on the GPU but in between the GPU and the edges of the GPU. They sorta came off when I was using a Q-Tip to remove all the thermal paste around them because I was scared that maybe it could be conductive and could be causing issues.

That video is without the drivers installed but that was what it would do when playing games like Skyrim and stuff. Funny that it didn't do it at all when playing other things like Borderlands. A person in another forum said that it could be bad VRAM and that Borderlands and other games may not be using that VRAM but when it does get used that it shows physical display issues like in the video. He was probably right.

Either way I tried baking, but to no avail. Card at least booted up and had no problems in POST before or anything. Just when playing Skyrim and randomly when using my computer.

Here are some pics of the baking and videos too. Bummer it didn't work. Guess I'm just going to have to stick with my crappy GT 530 1GB and pay for a GTX 560Ti when I get a bit more money.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pity it didn't work for me. This card would have been plenty powerful enough to play the things I wanted..

Probably would have worked if you laid the card the right way, I see this so many times, the propose of doing this is to reflow the solder with the gpu, if you have your gpu facing down its just heating it up and separating it more. Flip it over, try again.

RIGHT when you take it out of the ove, have a stick or a wooden spoon handy, and press down on the gpu a little, it might also help.

Probably would have worked if you laid the card the right way, I see this so many times, the propose of doing this is to reflow the solder with the gpu, if you have your gpu facing down its just heating it up and separating it more. Flip it over, try again.

RIGHT when you take it out of the ove, have a stick or a wooden spoon handy, and press down on the gpu a little, it might also help.

Eh? The OP had it the exact same way I had mine... so what you think a second round of baking will help it? It's still sitting in the trash now... I don't know if I want to bother pulling it out again, taking it apart again, setting it up to bake again, and then waiting and messing around for ages.. and putting it back into the PC again, just to have it most definitely hang at POST with all of my fans on max..

Not only that but I'm basically out of Metho for cleaning the thermal paste off and I am out of thermal paste.. I ordered some in but it'll take a week or so to get it.. I am not sure I want to go through baking it again. I don't know if I could be bothered.

Besides.. what difference does it make which side is up and which isn't... OP did it GPU (face) down.

EDIT: After reading various youtube comments, some people have their card face down and others have it face up. Some are leaving the card (to melt) in the oven for an hour to 'slowly cool down' (you guys know an oven stays hot, closed for like an hour right)?... so there are obviously various methods.. still. Do you think it's really worth the trouble of a second round even though I basically chipped off 75% of those little metal pieces between the inner and other edges of the GPU? Look carefully at the picture, half of those little tiny things don't look connected anymore. They look like this >-- ' ' instead of '' | because it looks like I've snapped them off so they aren't connected anymore.

Last edited:
Eh? The OP had it the exact same way I had mine... so what you think a second round of baking will help it? It's still sitting in the trash now... I don't know if I want to bother pulling it out again, taking it apart again, setting it up to bake again, and then waiting and messing around for ages.. and putting it back into the PC again, just to have it most definitely hang at POST with all of my fans on max..

Not only that but I'm basically out of Metho for cleaning the thermal paste off and I am out of thermal paste.. I ordered some in but it'll take a week or so to get it.. I am not sure I want to go through baking it again. I don't know if I could be bothered.

Besides.. what difference does it make which side is up and which isn't... OP did it GPU (face) down.

EDIT: After reading various youtube comments, some people have their card face down and others have it face up. Some are leaving the card (to melt) in the oven for an hour to 'slowly cool down' (you guys know an oven stays hot, closed for like an hour right)?... so there are obviously various methods.. still. Do you think it's really worth the trouble of a second round even though I basically chipped off 75% of those little metal pieces between the inner and other edges of the GPU? Look carefully at the picture, half of those little tiny things don't look connected anymore. They look like this >-- ' ' instead of '' | because it looks like I've snapped them off so they aren't connected anymore.

NOW why would you want to DE solder the gpu ? putting it upside down, actually makes it worse, putting it so the gpu faces top is what you want. The weight of the GPU sitting on the solder balls UNDER it's self when they are heated will bring the gpu closer to the board, witch is what we are after here.. The solder balls under the gpu melt under 350+

for all the cards that i have done, i do what im telling you PLUS push down on the ceramic center a little bit.

Dash.

Im not sure if mine has this issue or not. It looks fine on pages but in the game it has spots on in the center or on certin things. I tried flashing it with a few other bios files trying a bios from other manufactures of the same series of card but nothign changes.

I may try and bake it. Its only a 6600 but its just the fun of trying to get ot to work ya know?

looks fine outside teh game.
page.jpg

in the game it seems just where there are reflections (on the car) or something it has issues. Other parts in the game seems to look fine. See how the menu on the right, it looks fine.
game.jpg

anyone want to come over? i got a few left.

hey a little silicon smoke cant be any more toxic then second hand tobacco smoke can it?

momma always said life is like a eeeer dont waste electricity.:rolleyes:

Geforcebakeoff1.jpg

Geforcebakeoff2.jpg

Geforcebakeoff3.jpg

Well it didnt fix my card, but i think i found the problem with it. This time i noticed when i had it out a few caps look a little puffed up on the top near the memory so i bet thats it.

Caps are starting to get soft maybe causing voltage issues maybe?

No, if you left it in long enough to cook cookies you ruined the caps too. They're only good to 105c at best.

Also, I got corruption on the shadows in NFS Online too. Its a game bug, not a card problem. You probably just ruined your card for nothing.

NOW why would you want to DE solder the gpu ? putting it upside down, actually makes it worse, putting it so the gpu faces top is what you want. The weight of the GPU sitting on the solder balls UNDER it's self when they are heated will bring the gpu closer to the board, witch is what we are after here.. The solder balls under the gpu melt under 350+

for all the cards that i have done, i do what im telling you PLUS push down on the ceramic center a little bit.

Dash.

Regardless if what you say is true the dude in the first post as his card upside down. I also smashed a few of the connectors by accident with a Q-Tip between the inner and outer sides of the GPU which I am guessing is what has completely fucked it up now.

Because now it just hangs at post the entire time.

By now it'd be sitting on top of some trash pile at the dump somewhere so I can't try again even if I wanted to. But I know damn well it's not going to work lol because I smashed those few tiny connectors by accident.

No, if you left it in long enough to cook cookies you ruined the caps too. They're only good to 105c at best.

Also, I got corruption on the shadows in NFS Online too. Its a game bug, not a card problem. You probably just ruined your card for nothing.

Nothing changed, the card still works and looks the same as it did before i baked it. It may have puffed teh caps though i didnt notice them puffed before i baked it now they kinda look like they are. I may try and change them there is a just a couple.

Like i said though it was just an older card i wasnt really using any way. No loss really.

Regardless if what you say is true the dude in the first post as his card upside down. I also smashed a few of the connectors by accident with a Q-Tip between the inner and outer sides of the GPU which I am guessing is what has completely fucked it up now.

By now it'd be sitting on top of some trash pile at the dump somewhere so I can't try again even if I wanted to. But I know damn well it's not going to work lol because I smashed those few tiny connectors by accident.

You make no sense, Try again..

Nothing changed, the card still works and looks the same as it did before i baked it. It may have puffed teh caps though i didnt notice them puffed before i baked it now they kinda look like they are. I may try and change them there is a just a couple.

Like i said though it was just an older card i wasnt really using any way. No loss really.

It's always fun to make something that didn't work. Work again, buy trying peoples theory's.

Yeah i like to tinker with stuff it was fun to try.

I bought some "computer parts" from craigs list for $10. came with 2 older PCIe video cards one was a 8300GS and it had mad artifacts when i hooked it up.

Tried the oven trick and it DID fix that card. So im a believer now. Only problem is now i have to replace the 4 caps it puffed 3 of them 1 vented.

Least now i know this will work but if i try it again ill be removing the caps first so i dont ruin them. Im using the card now and ive even clocked it a little and its really stable.

I know it wont last long though that one cap tha tvented will eventually dry up.

success with nvidia 8800gt.
Did not use bake method, instead used foil and propane torch.

First time i tried this with a 7800 or 7600 in the oven... all the capacitors blew up, DOH!

Now I covered the entire card in foil and exposed just the chip. Used a regular propane torch (like what plumber's use) and heated the chip with a swaying motion back and forth. I didn't have a temperature gauge, so i just heated it for about a minute.

Before the card would artifact on post and wouldn't install drivers properly in windows (no 3d!)
Now the card doesn't artifact and installs properly. Tested with a little deus ex HR and counter strike. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

How hard were you rubbing with that Q-Tip? How did you manage to damage/snap off surface mount components with a cotton Q-Tip? And why would you ever put a piece of exposed and ungrounded electronic equipment into a fluffy carpet full of static and ESD potential?

How hard were you rubbing with that Q-Tip? How did you manage to damage/snap off surface mount components with a cotton Q-Tip? And why would you ever put a piece of exposed and ungrounded electronic equipment into a fluffy carpet full of static and ESD potential?

Plain and simple, put it in the oven for way to long, way to close to the burner and to hot.

I've done so many things in the oven and never killed anything.

Static on the carpet was the hint for me !

Asus A8n32 sli deluxe back from the dead!!

The board failed to post over a year ago and sporadically I've tried it out with no luck. Today was trash day and I was about to pitch it but decided to bake it at the last minute. So glad I did.

3800 x2
7950 quad sli back up and running!!

Asus A8n32 sli deluxe back from the dead!!

The board failed to post over a year ago and sporadically I've tried it out with no luck. Today was trash day and I was about to pitch it but decided to bake it at the last minute. So glad I did.

3800 x2
7950 quad sli back up and running!!

I have one that was doing the sporadically POSTing then it never again. Maybe I should bake mune, too. Did you take off any chip/mosfet heatsinks before baking it?

Figured I might as well chime in on this thread. Had heard of this trick for quite some time but hadn't had the need for it until tonight. Was throwing together some spare parts for an extra system, and came across a 8800 GTS that was giving the oh-so-pretty blue lines. A few minutes to pop off the shroud, 8 minutes in the oven, and back to a functional card. Chalk up another win for out of the box solutions.

I tried this method out today...maybe I should have used common sense, and not followed what you did exactly! I set mine up like you (GPU facedown), however, I didn't take gravity into account! Well, at least I know it really won't work now!

I don't know how to post a picture...but just know, everything fell off the board!

if everything fell off the pcb then you either left it in the oven waaaay too long or your oven is waaaay out of calibration. hate to break it to you...

Artifacting 9800GT

Placed in a baking dish with foil and foil balls face up at 200c in the fan oven.

Set timer for 10 mins. At 9 mins I switched off the oven but left the door closed. At 10 mins I opened the door and left for 5 mins. Took it out of oven and left for 10 mins to cool.

Reattached the HSF and card is now working just fine.

Shake and bake baby!

RLOD PS3 Slim resurrected! Note, this is not the yellow light of death unit, this is the red light of death. Irrelevant off course since the bake would have worked for both of these issues.

425 degrees in the oven for 10 minutes.

Don't believe that BS the so called "knowlegeable people" spread about how it isn't safe to just bake the PS3 mobo without additional measures such as heat resistant putty to protect the caps, and how it's soooo important to use the flux and even the copper shims... It's also BS about how the PS3 mobo must be baked for 8 HOURS at 170 degrees and then given several hours to cool.

10 minutes.. That all that's needed. Than another 20 min to let it cool. Works like a champ!

While it may indeed be nice to use flux and copper shims, after buying all this the PS3 would have cost me much more than it should.

Here's a pic of my PS3 mobo before I popped it in the oven ; )

RCMRUl.jpg

Sorry, I didn't bother with other images because the whole process was easy as pie. Everything needed is on you tube and through simple google searches.

PS: Some people spread lies, saying that after about 2 bakes, the video card and console boards become useless junk and may as well be thrown out. I baked my 8800 GTX FOUR times.... That's right FOUR times over about 2 years or so. Worked like a champ. and then I gave it to someone else and it continued working till he got another card.

Update: PS3 RLODed again 2 weeks after bake. : ( so lame. Never dealt with any device or a card that would die again after a bake so fast. Guess I was lucky. Damn work and college wouldn't let me rebake. On vacation now, so opening this sucker right now and baking again.

Update2: Fuck... As I was writing this I heard a loud bang in the oven. Oh horror! I forgot to take out the battery! Godddddd.... WHYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Last edited:
Shake and bake baby!

RLOD PS3 Slim resurrected! Note, this is not the yellow light of death unit, this is the red light of death. Irrelevant off course since the bake would have worked for both of these issues.

425 degrees in the oven for 10 minutes.

Don't believe that BS the so called "knowlegeable people" spread about how it isn't safe to just bake the PS3 mobo without additional measures such as heat resistant putty to protect the caps, and how it's soooo important to use the flux and even the copper shims... It's also BS about how the PS3 mobo must be baked for 8 HOURS at 170 degrees and then given several hours to cool.

10 minutes.. That all that's needed. Than another 20 min to let it cool. Works like a champ!

While it may indeed be nice to use flux and copper shims, after buying all this the PS3 would have cost me much more than it should.

Here's a pic of my PS3 mobo before I popped it in the oven ; )

Sorry, I didn't bother with other images because the whole process was easy as pie. Everything needed is on you tube and through simple google searches.

Good work,

8 hours WTF that would kill it, and parts would be way to hot, and would defiantly move around / fall off LOL!!

I love this thread. Baking is awesome. We are essentually preventing additional ewaste. :D

And causing thousands of dollars of lost revenue to the card makers for their shoddy ROHS build quality.

ROHS, reducing the lead, increasing the landfill!:rolleyes:

My recipe is 350° for 8 minutes.

Highest has been 400° for 15 minutes mostly for laptop mobos

My 8600GT had been giving me trouble for some time now. Every once it a while it wouldn't work. Last night I baked it and its fine now.

My recipe is 350° for 8 minutes.

Highest has been 400° for 15 minutes mostly for laptop mobos

My 8600GT had been giving me trouble for some time now. Every once it a while it wouldn't work. Last night I baked it and its fine now.

This usually fixes it :) however following the CLEAR provided instructions helps too. I see some people on this thread didn't follow the instructions very well at all and his "FAILED" :eek::eek:

artifacting 8800 gts 640
stripped and baked @ 385F for 7-8mins, removed and rested for 2hrs.
works great now

So...my daughter was using my old Nvidia 9800gtx+ till recently. The card failed and the pc would not even post. A quick check of the card on another sys confirmed it as bad. Daughters PC gets a new 460gtx and I was about to throw the 9800gtx+ out.

Then I remembered something about baking your bad video card to try and fix them.

I proceeded to strip the card of it heat sync ( reference one ), cleaned the thermal paste of the gpu and others...placed the card on an aluminum covered tray... wrapped the card in foil as well making sure the end caps were off the tray surface with a "ball" of foil. Components facing down.

Preheated the oven to 385 deg F. Placed the card in for 10 minutes. After which I let the card air cool still covered in foil.

A new dab of thermal compound on the GPU..reattached the heat sync...plugged it into my extra pc that still runs WinXP Pro and the thing went thru post. Got to the desktop nary an error or artifact to be seen.

It still works three days later and I've been playing old games on it....FarCry1..STALKER1 and some older titles that will not run all that well in my Win7 rig.

Don't know how long it will last but for now I resuscitated a card that I was ready to throw out....

:cool::D

I have a replacement 8800GTX from evga that died after two weeks, i may just try this.

Pre-heating the oven right now, about to bake a card. Hopefully it fixes the artifacting.

Back