Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

Would this work with a heat gun instead?

probably. if you look at the bottom of the first post in this thread it has a link to another thread on how to fix a dead gpu on a laptop motherboard using a heatgun. i can't imagine the method would be much different for a video card.

Add my EVGA 8800GT to the list of fixed cards :)
I used a preheated toaster oven at 375F for 8mins.

There are tons of videos on Youtube if you want to see it done, saw one German guy use rocks instead of foil balls. There's also a video of a guy using a heatgun. I was too lazy to open the door and search for rocks so I just used foil.

Last edited:
Lol don't add my 9600 mac agp card to that list 8 mins at 375 made all the caps fall off, Oh well.... Now i need a new agp card. lol.

You can add my son's EVGA 8800GT to the mix. 375 degrees for 7 minutes and it now works. I used 2 shot glasses on a tray, put it back together, re-installed it, VOILA !
Good thing I remembered this thread. So HOLY CRAP ! It worked.

yanqin1.jpg

yanqin2.jpg

yanqin3.jpg

This problem never popped up until the EPA decided to make manufactures use more tin and less lead in their soldering compounds. Too much tin is horrible for solder, its way too brittle.

Awesome! I'll have to remember this now that most companies have gone ROHS. POO on the EPA and the GREEN LIE !!!

Imagine how many more would've died because of asbestos poisoning if they were allowed to continue using asbestos-filled paint. They don't make regulations for spite or for fun, it's to protect the public from companies that could care less about the public, of which there are many, I'm sure.

Yes, but the asbestos-free paint works fine, doesn't it?

With lousy solder, we're generating more PCB trash now, 'cause crap quits working much too early. Also, people don't tend to come into contact with solder as nearly as much as wall paint.

You got to admit, with everything these days nothing is build with quality in mind. Just quantity. This chemical free alternatives we are getting is pure garbage that simply could never replace the real deal. I just thought about these water based paints all cars will be getting from now on because of some recent laws. http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/Waterbased/Waterbase Start.html

Speaking of paint I painted an old Opel Corsa using a foam roller and brushes with Enamel Paint. Quiet a difference between spending 1000$ and 100$ for a spray job eh?

I actually just did this on my 8800gt that I had in my Dell XPS 420. Ive had the computer for about 3 years and the video card died last week.

It works perfectly now :)

This just goes to show how important the added rigidity of a backplate is for a videocard. My 470's sag and I imagine they'd fail eventually. I just purchased 2 backplates to fix them.

Wow, Haste, lots of cards & laptops fixed because you decided to post this thread. Good work mate!

Just baked this morning my 8600M GT GPU @ ~190C for 9:30 Min. and turned from not working at all to working immaculately!
Hope it will stay this way! ;)

Just baked this morning my 8600M GT GPU @ ~190C for 9:30 Min. and turned from not working at all to working immaculately!
Hope it will stay this way! ;)

awesome. thanks for registering and posting!

OMG, It worked! I found this post and I tried to revive my gtx 260 that died a few months ago and it's alive! I followed the instructions, put it in the oven for 8 min at 380, let it cool for 30 min and it's been working for 2 hours so far. I'm gonna pass 3dmark and see if it handles it.

How long have been been successfully using their resurrected cards ... does this tend to be a temporary fix or a permanent one?

I used this trick about a year ago to bring back a 4850, I was running two in crossfire. I decided to just upgrade to a 5850 so it's basically been sitting ever since. However I'm setting up one of my old PCs for a friend using the revived card. It should at least run cooler not being in crossfire anymore, but I wonder if I'd be giving him something with a very short lifespan.

used a heatgun on my bro's hp pavilion dv6000 and it runs like a champ again (also cut the 4th wire used to change fan speed

How long have been been successfully using their resurrected cards ... does this tend to be a temporary fix or a permanent one?

I used this trick about a year ago to bring back a 4850, I was running two in crossfire. I decided to just upgrade to a 5850 so it's basically been sitting ever since. However I'm setting up one of my old PCs for a friend using the revived card. It should at least run cooler not being in crossfire anymore, but I wonder if I'd be giving him something with a very short lifespan.

It's never truly permanent. Typically you will find the first go gives you a fair while (sometimes a few weeks, sometimes several months), but you have to redo it more and more often until it eventually becomes ineffectual, and you finally have to bin the card. Baking cards like this does not repair them, but delays their required replacement in many cases.

well my pc started to repoert problems from my 2nd gpu so i pulled it and swaped it to be master.
when booting they was artifacts so rememberd ppl have baked there cards with good results.
i thoght what can i loose so give it a try.
baked it at 190c for 10mins taken out of overn bugger cap and speaker had fallen off never mind soldering iron bit of solder now back in action with my 8800gtx sli rig

Edit:

GTX 280 baked at 350F (my oven seems to run a little hotter) for 8 minutes. I let it cool down for an hour and a half and reapplied thermal paste and put it back together. So far it's been working well and no PSOD while loading things that require DirectX. I just hope it lasts long enough until I can get a new card. Thanks for this awesome idea and helpful thread.

Last edited:

Some folders have used cards afterwards for months which is about as punishing as it gets, others (including me) have had no luck at all, but i may try again after my holidays

got a 9600gt and a 8800gtx to resurrect

Ive been reading this post, and have nothing to lose. I am going to try it on my XFX 8800GT. My question is, does the plastic from the power connector on the card get damaged or warped by baking, also is there any other advice you can give me on what I should do? KKTHANKZ

Ive been reading this post, and have nothing to lose. I am going to try it on my XFX 8800GT. My question is, does the plastic from the power connector on the card get damaged or warped by baking, also is there any other advice you can give me on what I should do? KKTHANKZ

Only if you bake it too hot. It may discolor a bit, but it shouldn't melt

One of the best, techy repair threads on the entire web..... this is just crazy and the best DIY thing I've seen for PC repair

hope you have a soldering iron take pics incase parts fall off as mine did a cap and speaker come off but reasy to solder back on again

Why is the card placed gpu facing down, shouldnt it be faced upward, so itll place it back in place. Having it downwards just makes it seems that itll get looser? Baking happening in a few days.

yeah component side upwards is best. Also make sure you're working with a preheated oven, if you stick it in there and then turn the oven on the card will get WAY hotter than it should via absorbed radiant heat from the electric coils/burner.

eveything i read about doing it said do it face down seems a bit iffy to me will try it other way up next time

Linksys WMP300N

375*F for 7 minutes

Open air cooled for about 5 minutes

Placed and stored in freezer for about 7 minutes

Now working!!! :D

Awesome!

revived a dead 7900gt, 4870 1gb, but failed to revive a gt 250 that was corrupting video immediately upon bootup.

10 minutes at 385F

I just tried this on my 8800GT that was displaying artifacts and red lines. Sad to say it didn't work for me. Put the card back in and got nothing but a black screen. Oh well, didn't lose anything since the card was 4 years old and out of warranty. :(

Back