Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

so I finally got everything going just fine now. even installed win7 64 bit. turns out the HDD that I put in for temp usage is running damn hot. the heatsink and fans seem to be just fine heat wise. Ill prolly end up adding copper shims to the heat sink. does anyone have a youtube link for making those?

Unfortunately for me, my MSI 8500GT works fine during POST but screen is all messed up in Windows. All the caps bulged out a little, that's the problem, I think. Gonna use it as a POSTing test card, otherwise, it's as good as trash now.

Just another success report, I've managed to cook a GeForce 8400M GS MXM card back to life in an oven. 8 minutes @ 200°C did the job.

I have tried this too and can confirm that it works.
Here is a video demonstration of me doing it: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbgwMqHDV9I&hd=1"]YouTube - ‪Making breakfast with MightyMe [Robot edition]‬‏[/ame]

Someone told me that this only works on cards that are artifacting, is that true or false? I have a dead 8800GTS that just comes up with a black screen, is there any hope for cards like that?

Someone told me that this only works on cards that are artifacting, is that true or false? I have a dead 8800GTS that just comes up with a black screen, is there any hope for cards like that?

If it's dead, and there is no warranty, it won't hurt to try. :D

This worked for me on a Gatweway M465-E just in case anyone else has the same problem as me! The screen was black/blank randomly when turning on the laptop/notebook again. I thought it was the inverter or back-light, but occasionally I would go to turn it on and it would work. This made me think that it was a GPU issue after reading many forum threads on google. I did 390-400 for 8-9 mins and used these instructions for dis assembly.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-gateway-nx570x-laptop-disassembly-guide/

I'm going to try this tomorrow with a D630... dead display (Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M)

I just cooked a 2 years dead 7800gtx Mobile from a dell M170 and it works again!

edit: 7800gtx

Last edited:
I have cooked too somenthing in oven thx for this thread.

One Fujitsu Siemens laptop´s motherboard.

Cooling down

AND

Biostar Tpower I45 which didnt boot anymore with new PSU Seasonic X750 ( old one did broke ).

-

I did just forgot those onboard buttons there. They did melt a little bit

So far, so good. Biostar did suprise me. Its now going 450FBS @ 1,144V and keeps going

Edit: One Acer laptop rescued now too.

Last edited:
Many thanks to the OP as I managed to bring my 8800 gtx back to life!! :D:D:D

IMG_20110718_184838.jpg

IMG_20110718_184845.jpg

IMG_20110718_191521.jpg

gpuz.gif

I just got done bring my 640MB 8800 GTS back to life. AS5 on the GPU, and Ceramique on the RAM. Now to see how long she'll hold. I tell ya though, the temps have decreased A LOT with the new thermal paste.

I baked a 4850 x2 I got second hand for cheap without success (yet).

First at 385 for 8 min and then at 425 for 8 min. The second time around some parts got a little brown, but it seems to have the same issue. Maybe bad ram?

I'm using a ToughPower Cable Management 750w, I think that should be enough to power it.

One thing to note, I left one heat sink on as you can see in the photos.. That probably was a bad idea, but i was not sure how to reattach it.

Any suggestions? Heat gun? Try again with the GPU down instead of up?

Some photos below:

Before baking (the second time)

A little brown

Same issue..:(

Last edited:
Yeah, that looks like bad ram.

It could be.. However I just noticed something, some of the LED's are on (I don't know what any of them mean) and only one DVI port will display anything, the rest just say no signal.

I wonder if it has something to do with the PLX bridge.

Removed black heatsink to see LED's.

Hi everybody, I see that most of you are very satisfied for the graphic card baking results So this would be my problem - I baked my PX9500 GT old graphic card, which only collected dust in my drawer. I did it on 200 C and baked it for about 7 minutes. Unfortunately, the graphic card tablet went a bit bandy after baking, and lost it's original shape. So I'm afraid that it might cause problems to my PC if I try it, and I have reasons to be afraid because I have a very good PC, and it would be a shame for any part of my PC to become malfuncion, that would cost me a lot..

Therefore, I beg for your advice - should I try it anyway, is there any chance that my PX9500 GT causes damage to any of my PC components? Is it really safe to try it in my motherboard PCI slot? I'm not really an expert in computers and electronics, but I believe that most of you are :)

I've just done this with a 9800GTX which was getting severe corruption before crashing. This was when doing anything with 3D (even Windows Aero) or video playback (like youtube)

It no longer has those problems, but it is however running games at half speed. Frame rate is literally half what it used to be, and in some cases the game actually runs at half the speed too.

Not getting any power warnings and Rivatuner shows that it's running at the correct clocks. Temps are fine. Any ideas?

I'm going to give this a try with my wounded 8800GTS. It will boot but crashes in Windows. Safe mode works.

I've got a success report.

I had a Dell M90 with a Quadro FX1500 which artifacted and had striped in bios.
After installing the driver windows would not boot.

A quick 12 minute baking at 385 and it's working fine now.
For caution I underclocked it to the min that RivaTuner allows.

This problem never popped up until the EPA decided to make manufactures use more tin and less lead in their soldering compounds. Too much tin is horrible for solder, its way too brittle.

I've just done this with a 9800GTX which was getting severe corruption before crashing. This was when doing anything with 3D (even Windows Aero) or video playback (like youtube)

It no longer has those problems, but it is however running games at half speed. Frame rate is literally half what it used to be, and in some cases the game actually runs at half the speed too.

Not getting any power warnings and Rivatuner shows that it's running at the correct clocks. Temps are fine. Any ideas?

Just tried the card in another PC and it works normally as far as I can tell. Strange. My PC works okay with the card I swapped from the other PC. So I dunno. :/

Well, add one to the list of successes...!

I have a BFG 8800GTX OC video card start artifacting on me in Windows as well as BIOS/bootup screens. I was resigned to buying a new card, but after finding this thread I decided to give it a try:

385 degrees for 9 minutes. Like the OP I stripped the heatsink, fan, blower cover off. Put it on a baking sheet GPU side down supported on tinfoil.

After assembling the card it has been working for 19 hours now - including 5 hours of gaming without any issues or visual artifacts!

Next up - 2 XFX 8600GTS video cards that both died within weeks of each others (both were bought at the same time) - artifacting and eventually wouldn't boot.

Also - I have a Gateway XHD3000 monitor that started artifacting and got so bad I could no longer use it. I'll be pulling the logic boards out and baking them too!

The best news is that I told a friend last night about this that has 2 BFG 8800GTX OC cards that were having the artifacting and then not booting issue. Times are tight and I've lost a gaming friend for a while. Hopefully this will work for him, or one of my 8600GTS cards will work. Hopefully back to multiplayer gaming soon!

cya.

I have a BFG 8800GTX OC video card start artifacting on me in Windows as well as BIOS/bootup screens. I was resigned to buying a new card, but after finding this thread I decided to give it a try:

385 degrees for 9 minutes. Like the OP I stripped the heatsink, fan, blower cover off. Put it on a baking sheet GPU side down supported on tinfoil.

After assembling the card it has been working for 19 hours now - including 5 hours of gaming without any issues or visual artifacts!

Next up - 2 XFX 8600GTS video cards that both died within weeks of each others (both were bought at the same time) - artifacting and eventually wouldn't boot.

Also - I have a Gateway XHD3000 monitor that started artifacting and got so bad I could no longer use it. I'll be pulling the logic boards out and baking them too!

The best news is that I told a friend last night about this that has 2 BFG 8800GTX OC cards that were having the artifacting and then not booting issue. Times are tight and I've lost a gaming friend for a while. Hopefully this will work for him, or one of my 8600GTS cards will work. Hopefully back to multiplayer gaming soon!

cya.

nice!

I just baked my motherboard, 400° for 8 minutes. Let it cool, all to no avail. Still won't post properly. Just cycles itself on and off.

Well, my monitor didn't fare so well. To be honest I didn't think it would work, but I did have the fun of taking the monitor apart (a first for me) and learned a lot, so a "win" in my book!

My friend's BFG 8800GTX OC card was baked last night - success! He's been testing it out with several different games, but for now his card (which wouldn't post) is working!

I'll do the 8600GTS cards this weekend.

Thanks!

-DC

cya.

Another satisfied customer here for the oven baking recovery. The old family dell I8200 shot craps a while back with screen corruption and stability issues. So i thought "what the hell, i'll give the oven a shot." Tore the laptop down to the mobo and gpu, got out the tin foil, baked at ~385 for 8min, reassembled the laptop, and it's working now. It's been powered up for several hours error free since then. Got the opportunity to clean out dust and put on better thermal paste while i was at it. We'll see how long it holds out with my nephew playing games on it.

I'm about to put in the oven Asus A6000 laptop just going to have something to eat after all this time I spend stripping and cleaning. What it does is start up for 2 seconds and shuts down immediately. PSU, RAM, Hard Disk didn't do anything so this is last chance to resurrect it. My plan is 200c for 10min but I will keep an eye in case it's too much.

It worked. I left it to cool down for 30min before started putting it all back together, programs works, games work too, it passed Intelburntest and Furmark without problem. There is 1 thing that doesn't work any more and that is the mouse pointing device. When I was about to insert the flat cable, no pressure what so ever, the solder was brittle and the connector end up in my hand. Luckily the same did't happened for the Keyboard. I can't solder the mouse as it's microscopic compared to the keyboard which can be done. It doesn't matter, my friend hate it anyway and use USB mice on laptops. This was helpful! I've read about it years ago but this actually is my first time I had to try the method to restore something that was so broken.

It worked. I left it to cool down for 30min before started putting it all back together, programs works, games work too, it passed Intelburntest and Furmark without problem. There is 1 thing that doesn't work any more and that is the mouse pointing device. When I was about to insert the flat cable, no pressure what so ever, the solder was brittle and the connector end up in my hand. Luckily the same did't happened for the Keyboard. I can't solder the mouse as it's microscopic compared to the keyboard which can be done. It doesn't matter, my friend hate it anyway and use USB mice on laptops. This was helpful! I've read about it years ago but this actually is my first time I had to try the method to restore something that was so broken.

awesome. and as always, thanks for posting!

Back