Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

I'd be careful, I baked some chicken after doing this process..had a bit of a solder flavor to it. I can't imagine burnt pet flesh to be any better. Maybe if you shave it first.. possibly some BBQ sauce to mask the burnt carcass smell.

When your coils making a whining sound. Toroids can also buzz. Usually happens during intense use and quiet normally.

I had this problem but some cream from my doctor cleared it up.

I read somewhere that capacitor whine, (Same as coil whine?), is from high frequency vibration and is not ominous....no cause for alarm...I would think it would herald impending failure...but I read this is not true...??? (As stated above) Can anyone comment?

AHHHHH, cant stop myself from posting...

This worked on my cat...had been dead for over 6 weeks...dug up from backyard...damn thing jumped up out of the oven and I had to beat it with a shovel till it went down again and only then because I shattered its legs. At this point still moving a bit after 2 9mm clips in the head. I don't think the brain has anything to do with it...will post update after more tests. (Not really.)

OK, I swear..no more off topic posts...promise. This is really killing me though.

Last edited:
I came upon this video while searching for toaster oven recipes, of all things, and immediately thought you guys would enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5lksMvmqQc

This basically shows what happens to your cards when you bake them - in this case it actually shows how components can even right themselves after being soldered on haphazardly.

Just baked a friends XFX 9800GT and it fixed the bars in the screen. He didn't register the card so RMA was out of the question.

Hi guys,

I knew about this trick for about 2 years, but I want to put it in practice now :)

So, the card I'm going to bake is a MXM card (laptop). Used a air dryer yesterday and 'she' got better, but probably didn't produce enough heat to be a more permanent solution.

How do you know the right temp of your oven? Does it have a display or you just regulate the temp to the middle (more or less)? I'm thinking of putting a bit of tin inside the oven, and when it starts to melt then I should place the card in there... What do you think?

How tall are you aluminum foil balls? 3cm?

I've read a few posts where people had it face up. The OP had it down and I've seen a few tutorials in Youtube that had it face up. I'm leaning towards having it face up so things don't fall of just in case. All in all, I'm just not sure.

PS: I guess it doesn't really matter? There's success both ways I guess.

Last edited:
The components do fall off if the card is upside down in the oven for too long. If your baking with any card before the 8800GTS or 3850 bake it face up, not upside down. Learned it the hard way from experience :(

It's like Christmas!

I did a video card replacement for a client 9 or 10 months ago and ended up keeping the 8500GT that had bit the dust in their system. Seems the cooler had failed and the card overheated.

Anyways, long story short, the thing was totally dead. System just beeped when powered on with this card in. I had tried in the past with another cooler and different systems just hoping to see some response, but no. I probably should have tossed it out long ago.

Now I'm glad I didn't. I baked it and holy crap! This thing works fine with no artifacting whatsoever. It has non-solid caps and so I was worried about them popping/boiling, so I made a multi-layer hat for each one with foil and cut up cotton cloth sections..

Set the oven for 390F, and then put the card in when the display read 350. Took about 75 seconds to hit 390 from there, and I let it go another 7:15 after that then shut it off and opened the door about 1/3 of the way to let cool. Pulled out when cool and inserted (with another cooler mounted on it). Worked first try :eek:

Color me amazed

Add me to the list guys!

I believe my BFG Geforce GTX 280 OC started having problems several months ago. I can trace it back to the Nvidia 196.xx driver that broke the fan speed. It started artifacting ever since and gotten worst and worst where even in 2D mode on the desktop, it would artifact.

A few days ago, I baked it at 385F for 9.5 mins., GPU facing up. I placed 4 foil balls on each bottom corner and one in the bottom middle to support the center. At the 9.5 mark, I turned off the oven and opened the oven door and let it cool there for 45min. Then I reassembled it and replaced the thermal paste on the GPU with Cooler Master Thermal Compound but left the white thermal pads for the VRAM chips.

I used FurMark and the heat leveled around 87-90C during a heavy burn-in test. Before the baking process, it wouldn't reach 60C before it started to freeze with artifacts and sometimes during idle as well.

Happy! :D

Its not a sticky because 1) the supposed failure rate is through the roof. Lots of people said it works then a few days later it goes dead again. 2nd there is no documented proof whatsoever beyond people posting that it does. I could get on and say that I stuck four quarters in the oven and a dollar bill popped out.

Not to mention all the lasting health hazards linked to putting components in an oven and then possibly using the oven for food afterwards. The carcinogens coming out from your card can end up getting into your food for months after you do this. If you use your oven for this, you should never use it again for food. I assume most of you don't even use your ovens, but if you live in a rental, when you move out the next tenant likely will. To do this willingly while knowing what the consequences are... that's pretty messed up.

I can't believe this thread is still going!

It's a great thread, but holy cow are there a lot of posts and views on it! :eek:

Add 6 gtx295 successfully working after this bake method and two Hynix 2GB DDR3 modules amazingly.

You guys are awesome! Stripped my Evga gtx 280 and baked it. Had signs of purple screen and black screen after login, and now 3 weeks after the bake it still works like a charm!

THANKS! ^_______^

I baked my Dad's MSI K8N Neo3 motherboard last night. Symptom was flexing the board slightly caused the system to instantly freeze / not boot. This might have developed from a tiny fan on the mobo chipset that wasn't spinning for goodness knows how long before I discovered it.

Don't bake too long, 10m30s @ 385F, and I had stuff fall off when I set it down a bit harshly (it was 2AM). I soldered a jumper header and audio plug back on, and was lucky that a tiny surface-mount part (cap? r?) was still connected even though it shifted 30 degrees when hit by one of the falling off connectors. It was smoking when I pulled it out of the oven ... cough cough

I recommend using 6+ foil stands for a mobo -- I only used 4 and the board is now slightly warped.

Works like a champ though, lol!

why cant we go back to leaded solder or at least get some stuff that doesn't do this

ps3 360 pc components dead due to shitty RoHs solder.... older pre green devices dont have these issues hell i have 20 year old hardware that still works...

thats why i am building me a old pemtium 4 pc with a 7950gt :D i dotn care if its slow it will out last my new pc :(

and you can thank the people bitching about how harmful the non Rohs Solder is. and how the goverment blames it for being so bad.thats why we have this cheap p.o.s cheapo Rohs solder

Another bit of hardware saved from the bin!

Resurrected my Gateway P171X-FX with an 8 minute bake preheated to 350, slowly rising to 375.

Extra thanks to trick_m0nkey for the advice he gave me... to follow all the other advice in this thread, lol.

Edit: Laptop died again today. Not gonna rebake.

Last edited:
Fixed a laptop GPU add-in adaptor by baking it. Now on to a eVGA 8800 GT 512MB! :D

Hi, previously posted that it fixed my Geforce GTX 280 OC (BFG). Adding another, I also fixed my Lenovo IBM Thinkpad T61. Video artifacting (unreadable) even in the BIOS screen. Now typing this post on the laptop!

Hi, previously posted that it fixed my Geforce GTX 280 OC (BFG). Adding another, I also fixed my Lenovo IBM Thinkpad T61. Video artifacting (unreadable) even in the BIOS screen. Now typing this post on the laptop!

awesome. thanks for relaying your success!

After reading this, I baked an IBM T43 laptop card that had been sitting in my desk at work. Now I have my old laptop working again! Who would have ever thought baking a computer part would revive it?

So if I just remove all fans to create a perpetual oven in my computer case, I would have invented the first self-healing computer? ^-^

Well, a friend of mine just ressurected his laptop this way as well!
This is really an amazingly simple and effective fix.

ive got a Acer Aspire 5720-6661 and the gpu started to artifact, i'm gonna be pulling the 8400gs out of it to bake. my question is, if my oven cooks a little hotter and quicker than most what should i have the temps at and how long?

if a pizza is set at 350 and is supposed to be done in 14-15 minutes. its finished in 10 without a preheat process lol.

ive got a Acer Aspire 5720-6661 and the gpu started to artifact, i'm gonna be pulling the 8400gs out of it to bake. my question is, if my oven cooks a little hotter and quicker than most what should i have the temps at and how long?

if a pizza is set at 350 and is supposed to be done in 14-15 minutes. its finished in 10 without a preheat process lol.

Save yourself the guesswork and NEVER TRUST AN OVEN. Go to walmart or your local housewares store and pick up an oven thermometer for yourself. Your oven is probably 50 degrees over.

Edit:

I did my laptop at 385 for 8 minutes. that's 385 according to the thermometer. My oven's dial has no numbers on it, lol!

The other day my son, spilled pink milk (nestle quik) in my blu ray remote control and killed it. I came on the forum and saw this thread was necro'd I figured what the hell, so I went and took the remote apart, cleaned the pcb of all the milk and stuff. Tried the remote again and no dice.

So I went ahead and baked it. I got a working remote again. My wife thinks I'm crazy as hell now as she witnessed how I fixed it. LOL :cool:

Back