Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

Got an 8800GT working! Failed on a motherboard :(

Love this thread!

Attempt 1
375 for 9mins = working 8800GT

Attempt 1
375 for 9mins = Fail motherboard

Attempt 2
375 for 11mins = Fail motherboard

Attempt 3
375 for 15mins = Fail motherboard / gave up

A few days ago my viewsonic va1912wb LCD stopped working, when I try to turn it on I see grey lines momentarily then fades to black, the button menus don't show either.

Did anyone have success with lcd monitors in the oven?

Yep, as long as you dismantle it properly and take out that little unit that has all the connections on it, then oven bake that = successfuly lcd working.

Is there a different process for 48x0/ATI cards? Seems like it should be the same but I thought I read something stating otherwise. Can someone confirm?

Is there a different process for 48x0/ATI cards? Seems like it should be the same but I thought I read something stating otherwise. Can someone confirm?

i used the same process for a laptop motherboard except for the cpu socket/chips facing up so i can't imagine the process being different for ati cards. just make sure to remove as many bits as possible before baking.

Last edited:
Well, I had a feeling it was too good to be true, and in my case it was. The artifacts and lockups have returned. Still, I remain amazed that this solution works at all. Evidently my card was well-toasted before I baked it, but others have had better long-term results so I would still encourage anyone to give this solution a shot if they've got nothing to lose.

At any rate I enjoyed a few days of gaming while it lasted. :)

A few days ago my viewsonic va1912wb LCD stopped working, when I try to turn it on I see grey lines momentarily then fades to black, the button menus don't show either.

Did anyone have success with lcd monitors in the oven?

I did the mainboard for a LG 32" HDTV, still working fine.

Before I say this worked for me I should note that I did not try reseating the heatsink prior to cooking the card. The compound I cleaned off the GPU was pretty thick and clay-like in texture, so it may have just been that.

That being said, 8800GT was suffering from severe artifacting from post, swapped it to secondary and windows just threw an error code. In the oven @ 385F for 9 min and no issues.

Either way, probably worth it in the end as I'm subscribed to an awesome forum now!

Baking components would release toxic stuff in your place....

Your health might be more important than saving a $100 video card. Good luck.

Saved my 8800gt last night with this approach after revisiting this thread while researching a suitable replacement. Thanks :)

Baking components would release toxic stuff in your place....

Your health might be more important than saving a $100 video card. Good luck.

Yeah its called opening the windows and sliding doors once you start baking it? So you dont get yourself entrapped with the horrible toxic smell.

btw all try covering the cards with liquid flux this should allow the solder to settle better

im selling my gtx 285 so i had a chance to throw my old 8800gtx back in. its been sitting on a shelf since i baked it in may of '09. it still works...posting from it right now. :D

hopefully it will last until i decide what to buy in the next couple months...

Would anyone know the problem to this.

8800GT, fan spins up, all connections made properly
No Boot Display
The card doesn't even heat up
Card was working after folding sessions and then stopped
Is 2x 18a 12v rail enough compared to the rails on the Corsair HX1000
Oven Baked it twice, at 9-10 mins 185'C and still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Just wanted to pop in and say that I revived an 8800 GTS doing this. Amazing find!

Haven't been on here in years and years, but found the thread when my GeForce Go 7800 GTX died. Sure enough, worked like a charm!

Resurrected a Dead DV6000 notebook that was powering up but not posting. These notebooks had such problems with the IGP becoming desoldered that HP issued a 1year extended warranty for this issue. Now these notebooks are more then 2 years old and out of that warranty. Well thru it in the oven for 10mins at 385f and now it works fine.

Sweet!!! $129 labor for my store to repair a notebook that would have cost 400-500 to fix thru HP!!

I tried to resurrect an old 6800 AGP that went out on me. Unfortunately the advice to hang it upsidedown was very dumb because the capacitors fell off. I soldered them back on and it powered up fine and all but the artifacting I had was still there. :(

I tried to resurrect an old 6800 AGP that went out on me. Unfortunately the advice to hang it upsidedown was very dumb because the capacitors fell off. I soldered them back on and it powered up fine and all but the artifacting I had was still there. :(

lol that made me laugh

About to attempt this, but have a few questions:

1. So what is the concensus - GPU side up or down?
2. Should I clean off all the thermal stuff left by the thermal tape? This 8800GTX has stringy material+goop on the RAM and mosfets(?). Should I take some Artic citrus cleaner and take all this off or leave it on before it goes into the oven?

I did the same thing to a Sapphire x1950xt a couple months ago and now it works!

About to attempt this, but have a few questions:

1. So what is the concensus - GPU side up or down?
2. Should I clean off all the thermal stuff left by the thermal tape? This 8800GTX has stringy material+goop on the RAM and mosfets(?). Should I take some Artic citrus cleaner and take all this off or leave it on before it goes into the oven?

Answers:
1. If the graphics card has alot of capacitors doing it gpu side up, because I've experienced some gfx cards I've oven baked upside down, the capacitors fell off. But really its the same thing gpu side up and down because the heat is balance all around and should get around the card etc if you have the aluminium foil balls rolled up properly.
2. Clean off everything, carefully and gently too.

do it again but with gpu up that way gravity pulls it down when the solder melts

Yeah, I don't know where the idea to do it upside down came around. There is no reason to do it that way. Gravity is your friend.

only time to do that is to remove parts you wont of a circuit board.
done it a few times using crock clips to weigh parts down befor changing the board.

Yeah, I don't know where the idea to do it upside down came around. There is no reason to do it that way. Gravity is your friend.

i guess it would depend on the nature/location of the solder fractures. trying it facing up would be the way to do it the first time, but if it still doesnt work then try with it facing down.

Revived my 8800GT last week, 200C @ 10mins. Components facing up, btw, since I'm afraid of gravity.

Thanks!

been running my Gateway M520 still going strong and working wonder's so it does work. I will update in a few more months

Just thought I'd post saying I tried this trick again on the same card (8800GTX). And it worked! I tried it the first time last August and a few days ago I began getting artifacts so I figured I'd give it a shot... beautiful!

Just thought I'd post saying I tried this trick again on the same card (8800GTX). And it worked! I tried it the first time last August and a few days ago I began getting artifacts so I figured I'd give it a shot... beautiful!

nice. did you cook it for any longer this time to try and get longer life out of it?

i attempted it a while back with my 6800gt. i think i left it in the oven a little long and probably shouldn't have put it in upside down. a couple capacitors fell right off and melted to the tin foil. i think my oven is a little strong, haha.

My brother has an HP DV2225nr laptop which is Nvidia based. It started to have problems displaying on an external monitor, the wireless quit working, and it was now at the point where it wouldn't turn on unless you tried 5-10 times. With nothing to lose, I took it all apart and put the motherboard in for 10 minutes at 350. Put it all back together and it works great!

Sorry for the pic quality, my cell phone is getting old.

**UPDATE**

The laptop stopped working about 3 months after I cooked the board. This was after I had updated the BIOS to run the fan sooner and longer as well. I tried to bake it again, but shes dead. :(

I can get a board on ebay so I may just do that next.

Back