Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

I have to chime in here and say that with the help of the advivce here at Hard, I just baked my 4870 that just died (no video signal) and it came right back to life and working great today !

I'm not reading this whole topic, but I'm assuming that the contacts on the card have the same fate with cheap soider like the XBOX 360's and the RROD.

[H] fucking rules ! :D

awesome. i think you may be the first to bake an ati 4xxx series card!

Hi... I've got a dell inspiron 9400 laptop, which is displaying all strange characters on power up, the dell logo is huge, and can barely see it. I was just curious, do I need to bake with the GPU face up or down.

thanks

i just did this with a dell xps m1710's video card (geforce go 7950gtx). I baked it face down and it fixed the artifacts. Been gaming beautifully since then

I have a totally dead Sony laptop someone just gave me, I'm going to pop out the mother board and give it a go, nothing to lose! Power supply is good (tested with a meter) nothing at all happens when you thumb the power button.

Not good odds but its free..

got my dead 8800GTX resurrected few days ago after i tried to baked it... this is so true and i couldn't be happier with what i've done and right now been running 24/7 torturing, stressing the card by folding@home with no problems and hiccups. lolz.

got my dead 8800GTX resurrected few days ago after i tried to baked it... this is so true and i couldn't be happier with what i've done and right now been running 24/7 torturing, stressing the card by folding@home with no problems and hiccups. lolz.

good to know :)

HDTV still working fine here.

Taken advice from your post previously due to your success with baking your HD TV, I was at a friends who had a old LCD 21inch tv lying around when he told me he wanted to get a bigger screen, so what the heck, I chucked on the LCD tv to his comp and everything was working fine, but it starts to flicker on the top half, he said thats why he had to replace the tv because it kept flickering on the top. Given process of a 2 day job, I disassembled the tv (pretty hard job too) and I took out the main small PCB with all the connectors on it etc, chucked it into the oven for 9-10 mins at 200'C left it out to cool for about 20, ay presto....no more flickering and his happily using the lcd tv as a pc monitor replacing his ageing BenQ 15inch. :)

I am baking my XFX 4870 as we speak. Hope it works! My original card died, they sent me a replacement, that replacement was dead, they sent me this one and it artifacts and goes black within a few minutes and they are now ignoring any tech support tickets I sent them. I purchased a 5850 (not from XFX lol) so I don't really care about this card anymore (my way of acting tough about my lost child) but I would at least like it to work so I have a good backup or perhaps can sell it to get some of my shipping costs I lost back from getting these dead RMAs! ARGH

had to set up a forum acct just to say thanks, altho i'm gonna be lurkin a lot now i think. my 8800gtx has been dead for over a week. posting vertical lines, not going into 3d mode, not even recognizable as a device, and dropping to 10x7x16 res at what felt like 20hz. i was slowly coming to terms with the reality of dishing out $250+ for another card i won't even be able to run max speed.

with the pix, blow-by-blow account, and all the great responses w/more info, i baked it last nite. you all rock ;).

in the oven
17541_439315435360_746225360_106563.jpg

cooling, w/olive garnish
17541_439315685360_746225360_106563.jpg

furmark
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/score.php?id=31248b9a01f0b54fe35f2dc8d47eddcf

back in business
17541_439338010360_746225360_106565.jpg

Got a 8800ultra and 8600gt that wouldn't boot up display this morning, going to bake it and see the results.

Last edited:
i'm going to have to try this on my 4850, It fell off the top of my case and has the same problem as the OP, displays red vertical lines and then causes reboots. I'm excited to try this :D

EDIT: Booting with a floppy drive with nvflash on it, upon booting into, with nvflash --list to see if my 8600gt and 8800ultra gets detected, funny thing is, my 8800 no luck, but my 8600gt gets detected as a 8600gts and still no display on the screen. WTF? Also using onboard video booting into windows detects the plugged in 8600gt card as a 8600gts as well, but says theres a problem with it. Any ideas? I think I've come across a internet bug that erases your gfx card.

EDIT: Again, since nvflash detected it, I tried to see if I could save the "8600gts" bios, it goes to the warning, it could go blank on and off, then it goes detecting eeprom info, then next line comes up with a error, eeprom not supported, maybe there something wrong with the 5 month ago oc'ed bios I flashed, I might reflash it later on tonight or tmorrow to see if it fixes the problem. To be Continued....

Just signed up to say..

This worked for me too. My card suddenly died - all textures would become corrupted and games would crash out. I couldn't even get passed the Team Fortress 2 loading screen.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/136067/random/distortion.PNG

I was literally 5 seconds away from clicking 'confirm order' on a new card, when somebody suggested this. I'd heard of it a while back, and thought it was pretty damn cool. I figured I'd give it a go, as it was 2am and the card was effectively a paperweight.

Gainward 8800GTS 640MB (G90), 10 minutes precisely at 200C. Left it to cool for 15 minutes, then re-assembled. Booted, and w00t!

I've been playing Team Fortress all evening with it today :)

wowwwwwww this is unprecedented. there's no precedent baby! I just reflowed my 8800 gts 640 which won't even let me boot and had red lines all over the place. It is now good to go! Once I opened the oven door and smelled the solder, it was sooooooooo good.

Happy to report that a 'dead' geforce 8800 GT was given over into my care after being replaced. I stripped it, cleaned it, baked it and tossed it into my system. It's been about a month and a half and I am happy to report that it's been folding and gaming pretty much constantly.

Almost forgot to say that I ended up doing this on my 8800GTX that was artifacting at the Bios with fine temps (50*C idle)

385 / 9Minutes

It has been 2 weeks now and it is working great like new.

Thanks a ton everyone!

Happy to report that a 'dead' geforce 8800 GT was given over into my care after being replaced. I stripped it, cleaned it, baked it and tossed it into my system. It's been about a month and a half and I am happy to report that it's been folding and gaming pretty much constantly.

:) For yours
:( For mine.

Do people clean off the thermal grease?

The main thing I am concerned about is that I won't be able to put all the metal bits in the proper places when I bring it out of the oven.

Yes you have clean everything on the PCB and remove the heatsink and PCB bracket along with the screws securing them.

My 8800 ultra has had artifacts for the past 2 days, too bad I really wanted to play the avp demo. Well I gave the oven treatment to my graphics card, right now its cooling. Can't wait to try it out and post the results!

Holy sh*t it works! The same graphics card that wouldn't even run minsweeper because of artifacts now can run crysis at best visuals. Not a single artifact now, wow I love cooking GeForce cookies.

Lol mine didn't work. It actually killed it since the monitor can't even find the signal anymore.

Lol mine didn't work. It actually killed it since the monitor can't even find the signal anymore.

You probably left it in for too long or too hot. I removed all kinds of plastics and just left the bare board exactly like the picture in the first post.

my 8800gtx died a little over 3 months ago. went ahead and ordered a new video card because i figured the card is completely dead without having to pay to send it in and get it repaired because i didnt register it when i bought it initially(dumb, i know...). anyway, i am posting this message running off my 8800gtx!

Warranties for video cards don't take affect until you register it?

You probably left it in for too long or too hot. I removed all kinds of plastics and just left the bare board exactly like the picture in the first post.

I did it at 385 for 10 minutes just like the majority of people that used this technique.

Rather than placing it with the GPU facing down (as shown in the pic on the 1st posting), I would place it with the GPU facing up. Reasoning: If, by chance the surface tension of the reflowed solder does not hold, your GPU and TH connectors are all going to fall off or displace. If placed with the GPU on the topside, you will be orientating it how it was originally built, thus improving your chances of success.

Can't wait to tell others tomorrow that I had a broken graphics card, then I put it in the oven, took it out and now it runs Crysis at very high!

Can't wait to tell others tomorrow that I had a broken graphics card, then I put it in the oven, took it out and now it runs Crysis at very high!

congrats. another success to add to the list!

Baked two separate cards back in October. First one was a badly artifacting 7900gt at 380 for 10mins. Came back, no display. Second try was with a dead 6800gt, baked at 320 for 10mins; the thing beeps now, success.

I'd advise to take out the display ports and any plastics. Gonna try my luck again with a recently dead 8800gt.

I am absolutely dumbstruck. It worked! My 6800 Ultra was unusable due to severe artifacts, so with nothing to lose I gave the EZ-Bake solution a shot... and here I am, posting from it, after playing a quick round of Quake III to check 3D. Amazing!

I'm leery of putting it through anything too stressful, but I'm perfectly happy just to be able to use the card again. Thanks to the OP and others who confirmed the solution before me!

My 8800gts died a few months ago, I'm going to try this out when i get home!

I followed the instructions in the first post exactly and it resurrected my go 7900gs on a dell E1705. For a few months before going dead, the card failed to load its drivers properly and the laptop had to be started in safe mode. Also, there were dotted lines all over the screen making it barely readable. After resurrection, the card seemed to revert to that stage at first, but then after running it for a while the density of bad pixels gradually reduced. When I tried to install new drivers (170.xx and above) it still wouldn't work so I tried to install older drivers (15x.xx) which finally worked. The new drivers completely eliminated all bad pixels. Importantly, the bad pixels (some of which were initially flickering between colors) were also showing up in BIOS but after installing 15x.xx drivers they no longer show up in BIOS either. By all appearances, this laptop has been brought back to life at full speed. I don't know how long it will last though. I might update on its status in a few weeks.

Success with a GeForce 7500 LE !
Baked at 190C / 374F for 7mins.
Before it would not display anything. Stripped stickers and wiped-clean dust before baking to prevent undue burning.
Oven started to smell bad at the end anyway. Was fan-bake setting which should cook faster.
Been running for 10hrs now.
Signed up to post, awesome guys.

Success with a GeForce 7500 LE !
Baked at 190C / 374F for 7mins.
Before it would not display anything. Stripped stickers and wiped-clean dust before baking to prevent undue burning.
Oven started to smell bad at the end anyway. Was fan-bake setting which should cook faster.
Been running for 10hrs now.
Signed up to post, awesome guys.

sweet. thanks for taking the time to register and share your success!

A few days ago my viewsonic va1912wb LCD stopped working, when I try to turn it on I see grey lines momentarily then fades to black, the button menus don't show either.

Did anyone have success with lcd monitors in the oven?

Back