Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

I have a dell inspirion 9300 with a 6800 ultra in it, its always produced crazy lines accross the screen, think it might work if i oven it? and should i just remove the graphics card from the mobo or do the whole mobo?

I think I might try this today on a Shuttle SN95G5 mobo cause one of my dimm slots stopped working and i might be a broken solder connection causing it :(

===EDIT===

Preheating oven now @_@ Hope I don't turn a partially working SN95G5 mobo with 1 dead dimm slot into a dead SN95G5 mobo @_@

===EDIT===

Baking the mobo now @_@

===EDIT===

Baking done, letting it cool down with the door still closed for the next 30mins to an hour.

Last edited:
@ Hyuukai: I think that should help, usually artifacts are bad memory, too high of an OC or bad solder points. I would just pull the GPU and put it in the oven rather than the entire board.

I worked for a company that actually did this everyday in order to fix mobos. You'd be surprised, it works quite well, don't knock it, its been proven time and time again to have a pretty good success rate.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try this on my old x1900xtx All in Wonder card. Darn thing all of a sudden stopped working two years ago.

I worked for a company that actually did this everyday in order to fix mobos. You'd be surprised, it works quite well, don't knock it, its been proven time and time again to have a pretty good success rate.

Yeah no doubt that it is working (got two 8800gt freshly baked) but for how long?

edit: both 8800gt work fine! 485f for 8 minutes.

Last edited:
I have a dell 6000 from my bro-in-law that doesnt work. Into the oven the mobo goes...I found a small resistor? laying in there during disassembly. Good thing they give you so many! I cant remove all gpu, etc chips, so in they go...oven preheating as I type this.

I think I might try this today on a Shuttle SN95G5 mobo cause one of my dimm slots stopped working and i might be a broken solder connection causing it :(

===EDIT===

Preheating oven now @_@ Hope I don't turn a partially working SN95G5 mobo with 1 dead dimm slot into a dead SN95G5 mobo @_@

===EDIT===

Baking the mobo now @_@

===EDIT===

Baking done, letting it cool down with the door still closed for the next 30mins to an hour.

Can't wait to see the results

This is pretty awesome , I love the nay saying about how the oven isn't doing anything because its not hot enough to make solder flow ..yet the card is working proof :p

Great story. Very [H]

Baking the mobo now @_@

===EDIT===

Who told you to leave it in the oven to "cool down"?
There is a reason why many have said between 5-9min. Because leaving it in the oven longer melts everything. You do know your oven will stay freaking hot for a long time after you turn it off right. Its not a microwave oven that shuts off when the timer goes.
I hope it goes well for you, but me thinks you haven't spent much time around an oven.

i have a nearly dead 6800gt card that i used on my old p4 system. it was getting blue and green artifacts all over the screen even before getting into windows. if i can get that thing up and running, i'll have a spare computer to use for lanning some old games.

i'll let you all know if it works :D

There is a reason why many have said between 5-9min. Because leaving it in the oven longer melts everything. You do know your oven will stay freaking hot for a long time after you turn it off right. Its not a microwave oven that shuts off when the timer goes.
I hope it goes well for you, but me thinks you haven't spent much time around an oven.

i agree, i dont think leaving it in the oven with the door closed after that long is a very good idea...

i hope your motherboard survived Hard and Confused...if it didnt, take pics!

Hey can someone give me some advice on a laptop motherboard.
My old compaq 14in laptop started just instantly shuting down. If you twist the laptop you can then turn it on. if you lay it on a solid table it will work I have torn it down and looked for anything obvious but cant see anything.

So I have written this laptop off as dead about six months ago didnt even put it back together after the last episode with it.

So should I due it at the same temp? same time? or what you guys think.

I will take some pics and post if you think its worth a try.

dudde, i had a Tecra M4 S435 that died like 3 years ago.... :( then i came across this method and i figure what the hell, thought i'd try this method out, took out the motherboard did everything on the guide and 1 hour later my tablet was resurrected! though one plastic part was melted, my tablet now works! This method also works on other stuff! not just the video card lol

At first, I though this was one of the "PUT YOUR MOTHERBOARD INTO THE DISHWASHER L-O-L" threads, but this is truly amazing. Thanks for sharing.

A few of the more decent hits on this subject using Google
search words: solder reflow fixes

Screen Print and Reflow SMT Boards at Home
board_in_oven_resize.jpg

GUIDE: Reflow GPU fix
heat_thumb.jpg

My Breakfast with Reflow
2424358506_90dbc24b64.jpg

Thinkpad Fix

3039791573_d77a2e2a06.jpg

Do not hotlink images - Vertigo Acid

@Vertigo Acid -
The images are not hot linked to anything.
Hot-Links to each article in Text are posted above each respective pic.
One of the four images is hosted by me from my own domain and therefore paid for by me.
I can easily host the other 3.
Please PM me to discuss.

Last edited:

I didn't leave it in the oven with all the heat in there. after 8 ish minutes I opened the door for a few secs and let most of the heat roll out then closed it, then a few mins later opened it again for a few more secs to help the cool down process.

I'm not a big fan of rapid cooling by removing items from a high heat environment and placing them straight in even a room temp environment, that is how things warp/crack.

So I bring up Hardforum and see 881 people viewing the Video Cards forum. I get excited thinking maybe ATI or nVidia has released the newest cards early. :mad: Oh well, kudos for finding an awesome ghetto repair trick.

Just gave my 8800GT the bake job and it is now happy.

Striped it down, ploped it in for 8 minutes at 385 degrees. Pulled it out, cooled it down, greased it up, and plugged it back in. Picture perfect.

Original condition: artifacts on screen.

Thanks for the easy fix!!!

K, my SN95G5 mobo is toast but I think it was already on its way downhill :-/ Now I gotta replace the shuttle with a much needed mAtx build :)

On the down side, baking didn't work for me but on the upside I get to upgrade a finicky satanic Shittle to a normal computer without the will of Satan* in it :)

Last edited:
would this work for a 8800gt? mine died a month ago and i did not register it either..

K, my SN95G5 mobo is toast but I think it was already on its way downhill :-/ Now I gotta replace the shuttle with a much needed mAtx build :)

On the down side, baking didn't work for me but on the upside I get to upgrade a finicky satanic Shittle to a normal computer without the will of Satin in it :)

I much prefer the will of chiffon in my computers. or to quote the late Madeline Kahn "Taffeta, darling!" Anything but polyester!

could i try this with a laptop with no display problem? Is it ok to put a laptop in the oven?

Holly friggin shiat! My GTX has blue vertical lines across the screen and i bought 4850 half gig as a temp replacement until i get something like 260 or 280. I might just do the same man! Why i didn't read your post 2 days ago. Thanks dude ! Now i'll try same method and see if it works i've got nothing to lose now :) Please tell me if your card still works..

Back