Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

So if I just remove all fans to create a perpetual oven in my computer case, I would have invented the first self-healing computer? ^-^

Too bad the heat being generated would only be spot heat and cause uneven heating. You'd have to work in full board heatsinks that spread that heat out over the entire surface of the PCB and then you'd also have to have fans/water cooling when you didnt want the self-healing feature to be active as i'd imagine this kind of method of self healing would also be life shortening. Oh and not to mention reaching 375 degrees would fry most computer parts if they ran themselves that hot.... 375F = 190.5C...also known as HOT HOT HOT!

My evga 280 gtx started crashing.Now it artifacts as soon as windows starts.I'm going to try to bake it tomorrow.Will let you know.I think its going to work because it happened slowly.If I could get it to boot and leave the computer running it wouldn't crash but if I rebooted it would.

I stumbled across this thread accidentally after buying a PNY 8800GT from ebay that was faulty. The guy stated it became faulty after a driver update so i assumed i'd install the proper drivers on my PC and i'd be off. Of course, that wasn't the case. Dots and stripes at startup and card would get stopped once Windows was up and running.

I did the bake today; 9 minutes and now the card works :eek: I played Black Ops/Zombies for a bit at full resolution and it worked flawlessly. I'm upgrading from a 8400GS (i'm not a big gamer) so the graphics improvement is very impressive :D The card stated it's RoHS as well whic his good (the end part of the PCI-e section with no metal stripes).

A question for those who baked their cards a long time ago; has anyone's card become faulty again?

A question for those who baked their cards a long time ago; has anyone's card become faulty again?

It seems to vary user to user. Some die 3 months down the road from baking, some last 6 months or more...

I've resurrected a laptop using the bake method and it lasted a little over 9 months. When it died the 2nd time around I used a heatgun instead and it's been going strong for over 6 months.

My evga 280 gtx started crashing.Now it artifacts as soon as windows starts.I'm going to try to bake it tomorrow.Will let you know.I think its going to work because it happened slowly.If I could get it to boot and leave the computer running it wouldn't crash but if I rebooted it would.

I just played BFBC 2 for an hour and the card works great.I'm so happy right now.Hopefully it will last.

Nice, should try that with my dead 9600 gso could use that as a backup to my 460

Add 6 gtx295 successfully working after this bake method and two Hynix 2GB DDR3 modules amazingly.

im about to bake my BFG GTX 295. Any recommendations?

I have baked a 800 GTX with success and a GTX 280 with love. It has been some time just wanna make sure Im doing this right

Guys my old xfx 9800gt artifacts and gives me weird ! and ? symbols and stuff when booting... I think the memory is giving out, u think this will fix it?

Much success... I had a EVGA 8800GTS 640mb (ACS) laying around and saw this post. I baked it at 385 for 8 minutes and now it works fine (Before it wouldn't even boot into normal mode windows). Thanks OP, my HD6950 croaked so this is the filler during the rma!

Wow...May have to try this on my 8800GT - Its been boxed for a year - maybe it'll come out smelling like chicken nuggets (what I had for dinner) haha, preheating now ^^

The thing with solder reflow jobs is they rarely hold out for another year if you continue to use them as you did before (on/off on/off on/off cycling).

If you leave your computer/device on 24/7 the solder points wont have a chance to cool and expand - which is why these components are failing in the first place. The constant off/on cycling causes solder joints to weaken due to the expansion and contraction of metal.

lol I can't believe this isn't a joke? how about microwave them?

400x.jpg

Can't tell if trolling.

Just got an 8800 GTS 640MB card working with this trick. It had some vertical lines on the display and would cause the computer to blue screen. Baked it for 10 minutes at about 375 F, let it cool for maybe 20 minutes, then put it all back together. I did not try anything demanding yet, but even getting into windows is a major improvement.

edit: I went with GPU up, just because I was a bit worried about things potentially falling off. There are obviously components on both sides of the card though, so I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

Last edited:
Just got an 8800 GTS 640MB card working with this trick. It had some vertical lines on the display and would cause the computer to blue screen. Baked it for 10 minutes at about 375 F, let it cool for maybe 20 minutes, then put it all back together. I did not try anything demanding yet, but even getting into windows is a major improvement.

edit: I went with GPU up, just because I was a bit worried about things potentially falling off. There are obviously components on both sides of the card though, so I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

Exact same problems I had with my EVGA 8800 GTS ACS3. I baked for 385 for 8 mins. I've been using it HARD for 3 days as my replacement card until my HD6950 comes back from rma, and have had no issues. Been playing Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft constantly with no problems so far.

GL with the bake!

It's time to bake my dead 9500GT! Good thing I haven't thrown it away. Good experiment gadget.

[H]i, first post.

I found this forum/thread while trying to diagnose what was wrong with my graphics card.

I Had a Nvidia 8800 GTX, develop a case of the blue vertical wavy lines, (it was like I was reading this thread though prison bars, ‘Blue’ prison bars at that).

Anyway, couldn’t really afford a new card, and I thought I would try OP’s idea of cooking it in the oven.

Worked like a charm! I still can’t believe it!

Thank you all, especially OP. –I’m off round a friends tonight to help him resurrect his PC that suffered a similar graphics card death.

Reminds me of the old adage……

“Genius and madness are only separated by degrees of success”

[H]i, first post.

I found this forum/thread while trying to diagnose what was wrong with my graphics card.

I Had a Nvidia 8800 GTX, develop a case of the blue vertical wavy lines, (it was like I was reading this thread though prison bars, ‘Blue’ prison bars at that).

Anyway, couldn’t really afford a new card, and I thought I would try OP’s idea of cooking it in the oven.

Worked like a charm! I still can’t believe it!

Thank you all, especially OP. –I’m off round a friends tonight to help him resurrect his PC that suffered a similar graphics card death.

Reminds me of the old adage……

“Genius and madness are only separated by degrees of success”

awesome and congrats! thanks for sharing your success story.

I think I'll pick up a heat gun and attempt to rez my 9800GTX, Old Dell 9300 Lappy and an 8800GTX. Anyone have reccomendations for a heat gun?

was looking at this one:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26960-LCD-Heat-Gun/dp/B003079A56/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t"]Amazon.com: DEWALT D26960 LCD Heat Gun: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410U01%2BjVmL.@@AMEPARAM@@410U01%2BjVmL[/ame]

Okay, seeing so much success makes me curious. Will this trick work on my dead HP ZX5000 laptop? Well it's not dead, it just boots up to the logo and gets stuck there.

Just got the balls to finally bake the dv6000 that was given to me by my mom in law. put it in for 8 minutes at 375. we will see how it goes in a few hours.

Pray for me [H]ard bakers.

dv2/6k's are notorious for chipset flow problems. there's a company in mass. that professionally reflows/balls the gpu, adds copper shimming and disables the thermometer (fan runs full blast) for $50 shipped with a 90 day warranty. pm me if you want the website for them. i'm not making commission or anything, these guys are just that good, i've sent them at least 10 dead nvidia igps and they've all come back working great.

I have baked another graphics card (an EVGA 8800 GTS) for a friend at work. It was suffering from the same 'blue vertical lines' syndrome, as my card.

He thought the idea was mental, and he doubted that my graphics card had been fixed with this method. However he had nothing to loose, and the card was just waiting to be binned.

Once again the bakeing method worked like a charm. He was truly gob-smacked with the results! (He claimed it worked better than before it broke)

So I’m currently 2 - 0 using the cooking technique.

Thanks once again to OP, and contributors to the thread.

I wonder how much (£,$)money we have collectively saved using this "GPU necromancy" (I feel I should be wearing some kind of black shroud while performing this dark magic)

(Another friend has requested my help with his card (A BFG 8800 OC2), will keep you posted on the progress with that one).

My MSI 8500GT is beginning to show lines of dots on the screen my PC sees it only as a 800x600 video card now no matter what driver version I install. I will cook it once I have some time to spare. Hope this fixes it.

Try 197 or earlier drivers. A lot of G8x/G9x cores seem to have a lot of issues with later drivers.

Try 197 or earlier drivers. A lot of G8x/G9x cores seem to have a lot of issues with later drivers.

I will try earlier versions, but regardless, the lines of dots appear on the screen when POSTing (before loading Windows), so I think the video card is really going bad.

dv2/6k's are notorious for chipset flow problems. there's a company in mass. that professionally reflows/balls the gpu, adds copper shimming and disables the thermometer (fan runs full blast) for $50 shipped with a 90 day warranty. pm me if you want the website for them. i'm not making commission or anything, these guys are just that good, i've sent them at least 10 dead nvidia igps and they've all come back working great.

I'll take that link, that could be a good business oppurtunity. also currently typing from the laptop now..... HOLY CHRIST THIS THING IS HOT ON THE LAP...AND Ive GOT IT SITTING WITH THE VENTS NOT COVERED........

Back