Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

ok i got a Pentium D 820 it wont run so i am going to bake it and see if it works like it did on my mobo :D i will update you

its already died what differnce will it make. if it works awesome if it dont. oo well

baked at 390 F for 8 minutes, artifacts haven't gone away (randomly stretching textures on models)
k... so i decided to give this thread one more try. Took the same 7900gs that i baked last time for 390F at 8 minutes with no results, and decided to bump it up to 400F for 10min. I also found a 9800pro that i had that shows random colorful little horizontal lines in windows xp randomly. Threw that in the same oven

Baked both cards for 10min @ 400 F

7900 is now artifacting beyond control. Post and bios screen is entertaining to say the least. Character artifacts everywhere (incorrect chars displayed during post, incorrect colors). Windows 7 has giant static noise filled bar going horizontally across screen. Didn't even bother trying to load css.

the 9800 pro suffered obvious capacitor damage. Forgot to check if all the capacitors were solid.... they weren't. Every liquid capacitor is bulging on the card with little burnt tips. The card seemed to boot fine. windows xp seemed ok. However, once i loaded up rthdribl the card went absolutely nuts. It started rendering random shapes, 3d and 2d. windows desktop started displaying horizontal lines everywhere.

after 2 attempts with 2 different cards i have given up. :(
good luck to anyone else. keep posting!
AND CHECK THAT YOUR CAPACITORS ARE SOLID!!!!!!!

Dude I have one of those old 9500 that you can soft mod that started to show artifacts after about 8 months in the bios screen, in windows, every ware. I also have a 7900gt pci-e that started artifacting about 8 months after I had it and it was a replacement for a BOA or borked on arrival. The box looked like Ace Ventura delivered it and as soon as I booted it I got the rainbow. I just put it back in the box and called evga. The second one went tits up in 8 months. I managed to keep it going for another month or so when I installed a water cooler because I decided that the problems might be heat related.

I think I am gonna strip these bad boys and cover the important parts with cloth and tinfoil and then some ducktape. I am not gonna take any chances with capacitors. By the way, if the caps have little X indentation on the top, they are electrolytic and should definitely be protected.

I will report my results. I could use both of those cards right now.

So its safe to assume that this would work on motherboards when prepared right? I keep getting dead XFX boards... Never had a problem with them fixing them, but im afraid my warranty is up now... next death im trying this out!

on cap issues. The point of the exercise is to soften/slighlty melt the solder, so anything that doesn't need to melt and you can protect (don't get too anal, cards broken anyway) I think is a good idea and worth the extra 5-6 mins preparation time.

When I baked my 8800gtx I tin foiled the caps and plastic ports to add a bid of protection / be on the safe side.

I just rebaked my 8800 ultra today, i had brought it back to life before but it died again so this time i put it on hotter and for longer.

Posting from it now, hopefully i dont have to keep rebaking it lol.

I just rebaked my 8800 ultra today, i had brought it back to life before but it died again so this time i put it on hotter and for longer.

Posting from it now, hopefully i dont have to keep rebaking it lol.

hehe, that sucks you had to do it again. but its awesome that baking it again brought it back to life... :)

sounds like you need to get a new card soon!

hehe, that sucks you had to do it again. but its awesome that baking it again brought it back to life... :)

sounds like you need to get a new card soon!

Yeah well i had just bought a 4890 but it died within 5 days :(, i'm having bad luck with video cards lately lol.

So has anyone done this on a motherboard? as my socket 939 did awhile ago but its got alot of plastic on it for example ram slots? also anyone had any success with laptop graphics cards?

I did it on a motherboard that wouldnt power on and no luck, nothing melted but there was a strong smell.

Remember to remove the jumpers and cmos battery.

So before when your son started playing with an easy bake over, you had to start worrying about him being a little to "Happy"? Now it turns out he might have just been a [H]ard Geek at heart!

-"Son are you playing with your sisters Easy-Bake Oven"

-"Ya dad"

-"WHY? you tryin to make brownies or something??" oh nooes, I just bought him a ball and glove.....

-"My 8800GTX just went tits up during a 5hr straight death match causing me to lose my Supreme Master title!!"

-"Oh, Ok!"

-"Oh, btw dad, I think Ben Affleck is HAWT!"

-"Ahhh....." shit, at least I kept the reciept.

Just tried another 7600Gt... we're just waiting for it to cool then reassemble... it would work in 2D mode but not 3D... I had success with a 9800Gt and 8800GTS so we'll see what happens :D

this has little to do this thread, but i want to post a success story after two failures god damn it.
8600gt started artifacting and just died abruptly.

I was thinking "yay, another test subject to bake". However, i remembered my last failed attempt with bulging capacitors and decided to check if the card had any liquid capacitors.

On inspection it did, on closure inspection i found two capacitors had actually completely ripped open. So no baking :( .

Decided to try desoldering some higher farad capacitors from older epox motherboard and solder those onto the video card.

Card is now booting and running through stress tests. Hopefully doesn't die :)

I was thinking about putting the main board of a 32' Vizio LCD TV in the oven. Anyone bother to try something that stupid? There's a short in there somewhere(video goes bright before screen goes blue).

I was thinking about putting the main board of a 32' Vizio LCD TV in the oven. Anyone bother to try something that stupid? There's a short in there somewhere(video goes bright before screen goes blue).

Man it up & try :)

What will it hurt. It's cheaper to get a replacement board than repair it anyhow. So if you screw it up worse, you really aren't doing it any harm.

An X1300 has been resurrected! 200 degrees C for 10 minutes. I was a bit scared about the capacitors as the plastic started bubbling after a while, but it came out fine.

Well 7900GT got worse (I was wrong, not a 7600GT) and now doesn't boot at all... and the 9800Gt worked for about a month and now died... :(

So we might try the 9800Gt again... but turns out the 8800GTS 320's fan was just stuck, I gave it a turn when it was plugged in one time and it spun up just fine. So that replaced the 7900Gt in my brothers system :)

I would like very much to see a google doc spreadsheet of all the revived cards from this thread with credited users, temps, baking times, initial symptoms etc :D

If I try this method to fix an old video card and thinking to conserve energy,
I simultaneously bake a tray of cookies ... will my cookies taste funny or
will my video card smell like cookies when its back in my computer...
or both?

Seriously though, I'd like to see a spreadsheet of the successes and failures too !

Well 7900GT got worse (I was wrong, not a 7600GT) and now doesn't boot at all... and the 9800Gt worked for about a month and now died... :(

So we might try the 9800Gt again... but turns out the 8800GTS 320's fan was just stuck, I gave it a turn when it was plugged in one time and it spun up just fine. So that replaced the 7900Gt in my brothers system :)

Be careful. If the fan got stuck once before, it may happen again. keep an eye on the temps.

Didn't work for me I attempted on a failed psu that came from my 42in plasma. The PCB didn't hold up to 300oF for only a few minutes (3-7) and became brittle. :confused:

A lot of the components actually fell off my old card. Glad I have another working card.

8800 GTX revived from a orange lines at post / no 3D in Windows state.

Followed everyone elses instructions: 10 minutes at 200 C. Absolutely amazed.

Well, I too had a farked 8800GTS - It started to artifact in games quicker and quicker and finally would cause windows to artifact and freeze after 1-2 minutes. The idle temps were starting out at 70C - something was not right.

Having already replaced the card I had nothing to lose, so i followed the method contained within this thread, and sure enough it's working fine after 10 minutes @ 400F(~200C). It's idle temperature is also back to "normal" 8800 temps (50 instead of 70).

So chalk up another success story - EVGA 8800GTS 320 back from the dead.

Cheers guys! Thanks for the half-baked fix :eek: :cool:

My card started having in game memory problems about 2 months ago (random triangles screwed up). Then about 2 weeks ago it artifacted during boot with lines down the screen, and would hang in windows. After an hour or so the laptop (Dell 9400/e1705) would not boot.

So I got my father-in-law to cook it for 9 minutes at 200 celcius in his oven at work - industrial one as he is a helicopter engineer (and my wife wouldnt let me use the house oven).

Reassembled, and it booted with some random little coloured dots. I booted into safe mode and some of the text was different colours. So I thought, what the hell, and left it running for 30 minutes. Came back, rebooted, and so far it has passed about 6 3dmark06s, a couple of hours of Warhammer Online and Day of Defeat.

SUCCESS!

I had some trouble with an out of warranty 8800gts so I figured I'd try this as a last ditch attempt to save it, but I was wondering what you guys use to replace the thermal pads on the core and ram. I have plenty of Arctic Silver; I know it should be fine on the core but is it ok to dab that on the ram as well when I put the heatsink back on? If not, do local places like Radio Shack carry replacement pads? Thanks.

I had some trouble with an out of warranty 8800gts so I figured I'd try this as a last ditch attempt to save it, but I was wondering what you guys use to replace the thermal pads on the core and ram. I have plenty of Arctic Silver; I know it should be fine on the core but is it ok to dab that on the ram as well when I put the heatsink back on? If not, do local places like Radio Shack carry replacement pads? Thanks.

gotta keep the pads as there will not be enough contact between the heatsink and memory chips without those pads. im not sure where to buy replacement pads, sorry!

If I try this method to fix an old video card and thinking to conserve energy,
I simultaneously bake a tray of cookies ... will my cookies taste funny or
will my video card smell like cookies when its back in my computer...
or both?

Seriously though, I'd like to see a spreadsheet of the successes and failures too !

This must be a joke, but if not you should be more worried about what you can't taste. Electronics are made out of deadly shit.

This is the single most fucking ridiculous thing i have ever seen in my entire life.

I'm going to cook my 8800GT with the sausages tonight. Perhaps it will work faster afterwards!

Back