Holy crap, Adobe buys Macromedia!

corrosive23

2[H]4U
Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq: ADBE) has announced a definitive agreement to acquire Macromedia (Nasdaq: MACR) in an all-stock transaction valued at approximately $3.4 billion. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been approved by both boards of directors, Macromedia stockholders will receive, at a fixed exchange ratio, 0.69 shares of Adobe common stock for every share of Macromedia common stock in a tax-free exchange. Based on Adobe’s and Macromedia’s closing prices on Friday April 15, 2005, this represents a price of $41.86 per share of Macromedia common stock.

The combination of Adobe and Macromedia strengthens our mission of helping people and organizations communicate better. Through the combination of our powerful development, authoring and collaboration tools – and the complementary functionality of PDF and Flash – we have the opportunity to drive an industry-defining technology platform that delivers compelling, rich content and applications across a wide range of devices and operating systems

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html
http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2005/adobe_macromedia.html

:eek:

That sucks, I like Dreamweaver and Flash, Now I have to use GoLive since adobe will probably scrap it...that really sucks!

I like Photoshop and Illustrator to much to have seen the deal go the other way. Fireworks and Freehand instead, no thanks.

I have no money invested in Marcomedia or its products, so I might be biased (or unbiased in yesterday's world), but I have tried to use Flash on many occasions. Endless fustration.

Maybe Adobe should buy Quark next and be done with it. I'll feel even better about that Creative Suite CS upgrade I just bought.

Wow. I have to say, I was kinda expecting it though.

Don't flame me yet, let me explain.

In the past few months they've been bundling Adobe and Macromedia products together, which I thought unusual. Also, Adobe is taking a beating in the web animation market, ie flash. It kinda makes sense. I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy.

This still could be a good thing. Maybe Adobe will incorprate flash into their other products.

On a side note, God I hate Go Live!

Its bad enough the extra crap adobe throws at me for their reader. Can't wait to see what they try to bundle with flash and shockwave. :rolleyes:

adobe in my mind, is the only company to surpass even the mighty microsoft as a company who can take very useful software and bloat it into a massive slow monstrosity.

i read pdf's daily, and the length of time it takes acrobat to load is incredulous.
I do image editing on a weekly basis, and I still use old paint shop pro because it does everything a non-professional needs, and yet loads instantly, and runs nice on old hardware.

i havenot used macromedias stuff much...but im curious to see what will happen.

Steel Chicken said:
adobe in my mind, is the only company to surpass even the mighty microsoft as a company who can take very useful software and bloat it into a massive slow monstrosity.

i read pdf's daily, and the length of time it takes acrobat to load is incredulous.
I do image editing on a weekly basis, and I still use old paint shop pro because it does everything a non-professional needs, and yet loads instantly, and runs nice on old hardware.

i havenot used macromedias stuff much...but im curious to see what will happen.

I have to agree. I have both Adobe and Macromedia software on my production PC and laptop. Adobe's stuff seems to be mostly bloat. PhotosShop is just so much for doing quick image editing, I've grown to like Fireworks for a quick open and edit. I'm so against bloat that I actually used Adobe's PhotoDeluxe for quick crop and resizes, but then they discontinued THAT.... Oh wait.. They didn't discontinue it.. They bloated it and changed the name to PhotoShop Elements. When I installed that and found that it took 2 minutes to fire up just so I could edit one JPEG, I immidiately took it and full blown PhotoShop off of my laptop. I don't even use Acrobat anymore. I use PDF995. ;)

I'm afraid to see what may happen. The end result of the aquisition, if they were to merge their catalogs, could be either very good or very, very bad. :(

Steel Chicken said:
what is this PDF995 you speak of? A bloat-free PDF viewer?

i shall google it.

PDF995.com! :)

Ok guys...you ppl better seriously get down on ur knees and praise Adobe for buying Macromedia...if they didn't do it then Microsoft would have...that's what Adobe was afraid of...Just think of how terrible things WOULD HAVE been if Microsoft beat Adobe to the buyout...:eek: :eek: :eek:

While I agree that Adobe can almost beat Microsoft when it comes to bloating good software into some horrid beast, is it really that bad? Pshop cold starts on my computer in about five seconds... Maybe it's just that I have no extra fonts and such that it needs to index?

I'm curious as to what will happen to the Flash player because of this. Macromedia have been demoing the next version with HUGE speed increases. They've even demoed it on a Mac with acceptable performance (in case you didn't know, the Flash plugin for Mac is a horrible piece of shit, about as optimized for moving graphics as MS Word), so that should tell you something. If they scrap it so we're stuck with the old plugin, I will be very annoyed.

Yeah that would really blow.

On the other hand, Adobe could take flash and integrate it into photoshop. How nice would that be? It would make things so much easier for web development. I think we are already seeing some of that in CS2 with the new animation stuff.

I'm hoping that Adobe will kill GoLive and keep Dreamweaver. Or at the very least kill GoLive and rename Dreamweaver to GoLive :rolleyes:

I actually like Adobe's programs a lot - Macromedia's interface layouts always seemed to me like adaptations of Adobe's ideas. The interface for InDesign (I don't have it but I used it once) is shear brilliance - I hope they'll migrate it to the other apps.

Yes, Acrobat 6 was brutal. Acrobat 7 is quite a bit faster though. Acrobat 7, with the 3rd party "Speedup" (someone else mentioned it) loads pretty much as fast as notepad for me. Maybe give that a try.

I would like to see Adobe keep PShop instead of Fireworks and Dreamweaver instead of GoLive.

Steel Chicken said:

You can easily tune Acrobat. There are programs to do it for you if you can't figure out how to do it yourself.

After upgrading from 6.03 to 7.0, I found that the load time was about twice as fast even without any tweaking.

mikeblas said:
You can easily tune Acrobat. There are programs to do it for you if you can't figure out how to do it yourself.

After upgrading from 6.03 to 7.0, I found that the load time was about twice as fast even without any tweaking.

Yeah,well I guess I dont feel I should have to tune software to run correctly.
I will have to try out 7, as im using v6 everywhere.

Steel Chicken said:
Yeah,well I guess I dont feel I should have to tune software to run correctly.

For an application like Reader, it is annoying. I hope you don't get involved with Oracle Server, though!

Did you just heard what they say? - "The combination of Adobe and Macromedia strengthens our mission of helping people and organizations communicate better."

They're helping us! Man, this really sucks! But, we could expect that, don't we? Giants always swallows little ones, don't they?

And I think, like someone already said here, Adobe will clean all of the old Macromedia's tools from the market and force us to use their "tools". And where's the anti-monopoly politics now?

Greets!

StORM48 said:
And where's the anti-monopoly politics now?

First, where's the monopoly? There's more than one web development tool in the world.

bhw752k said:
I'm hoping that Adobe will kill GoLive and keep Dreamweaver. Or at the very least kill GoLive and rename Dreamweaver to GoLive :rolleyes:

I'm with you there ... I thought Go Live! is gone ... I've forgotten about that POS ...

Acrobat Reader makes me glad I use OS X, so I won't have to deal with it. The Preview application that ships with it is much!(faster, better, less unoptimized, etc).

*shrug* I have made backups of my Macromedia Studio MX CDs, worst case situation I can always come back to the things I know and love.

Hopefully fireworks will live on.

@mikeblas

Yes, but none of them is much powerful to resist Adobe's arrogance.
Second, when you destroy direct competition, by buying it, that's what I call - the monopoly. Maybe it isn't that kind of monopoly which is(was) related to M$, but it is a Monopoly. Microsoft was convicted for monopoly, although we had the other OS developers (at that time, IBM with OS/2, and some smaller developers, whos names I cannot remember right now).

Don't get me wrong - you're definitely right, but I just don't look at that as something good for us.

Greetings

StORM48 said:
Microsoft was convicted for monopoly

Are you sure? Or was it just for anti-competitive and monopolistic business practices?

What you call a monopoly is very different from what the rest of the world (including all those lawyers, and the justice department) have considered a standard.

And so the takeover might have anti-competition problems. But I have a hard time seeing it as establishing any kind of monopoly.

Do you know what market share Dreamweaver and GoLive have?

Anyway, how can you know that this is bad? Just because it might eliminate a choice?

Yes, that's the point. I like to have a choice, and who doesn't?
Macromedia established standards in this developing area. Where was Go Live? Now we'll look at Macromedia's fall. The same macromedia who is most responsible for Flash, for Dreamweaver etc.

I'd say> win with better product if you can make it. This kind of bussines just reveals Adobe's incapability and arrogance. Of course, this IS only my opinion.

I woudn't complain considering this subject, but I'm almost certain that Adobe will just make Macromedia's worldwide known tools simply disappear of the market. That would be a shame.

Greetings! :)

Off-topic: I got to apologize if I made some spelling or grammar mistakes, cause my native language isn't english.

StORM48 said:
Greetings! :)

Off-topic: I got to apologize if I made some spelling or grammar mistakes, cause my native language isn't english.
"Greetings" is a comment opener, not something you want to be ending it with. "greetings" = "Hi" or "Hello"

@lithium726

Thanks for the tip! :) I can't expect you to learn me english, but it will help me to be better.
Thank you once again!

StORM48 said:
@lithium726

Thanks for the tip! :) I can't expect you to learn me english, but it will help me to be better.
Thank you once again!

You can't expect him to teach you english. We can't expect you to learn english. ;)

Back