Holy 8800GT heat reduction batman!

Blown 89

2[H]4U
My EVGA 8800GT at stock speeds (650/950).
Idle 86*C

Installed WC gear in sig:
34*C

Something tells me EVGA's sloppy application of the thermal pads was severely blocking airflow.

My EVGA 8800GT at stock speeds (650/950).
Idle 86*C

Installed WC gear in sig:
34*C

Something tells me EVGA's sloppy application of the thermal pads was severely blocking airflow.

Wow, idle at 80 C. On my eVGA 8800GT KO, my idle is 52 C and load under Crysis is 82 C. I'm putting a Koolance GPU waterblock tonight. It's good to see that it works well.

-Optimummind

That idle can't be right.. Mine's OC'd to 720/1782/2000 and it idles at 55C with the fan at 40%.

Its right, I don't use water by mine with a Accelero S1 is idling about 35

I was referring to the stock cooler idle at 86C. No way in hell that is right, unless the heatsink was seperated from the chips.

I was referring to the stock cooler idle at 86C. No way in hell that is right, unless the heatsink was seperated from the chips.
That's what nvidia's monitor was reading before I removed the stock cooler. It ran like that for about a week. The stock coolers on these things look to be absolutely terrible so combine that with an obvious problem and you get high temps.

If you say so. That's the first I've heard of those kind of idle temps.. unless your fan was off or the heatsink not making flush contact with the board. My card doesn't even come close to that under load. Either way, it's not normal and I'm glad your WC is working well for you.

What are your max clocks now?
I haven't had a chance to OC yet. To be honest I'm not much of an over clocker....I'm into water cooling partly because I was tired of hearing my computer three states away and mostly because I have a hard time leaving things alone. When I get my carpc finished here in the next few weeks I'll get a dual boot going with Vista and Crysis.....I'll start tweaking then. With the price of these cards I'm tempted to SLI but it's to much of a pain to reroute my system so hopefully a nice OC will get the new round of games running nice.

If you say so. That's the first I've heard of those kind of idle temps.. unless your fan was off or the heatsink not making flush contact with the board. My card doesn't even come close to that under load. Either way, it's not normal and I'm glad your WC is working well for you.
With the sloppy application of heat sink pads from the factory I wonder if some of it found its way inside the fan. There's no doubt something was wrong.

image.php

Watercooling helped a lot. I went from 52 C idle core to 34 C idle core after watercooling.

-Optimummind

With the sloppy application of heat sink pads from the factory I wonder if some of it found its way inside the fan. There's no doubt something was wrong.

image.php

oh my god. I was always a little weary of taking my cards apart like that, but when I get mine, I might have to, that looks terrible.

Oh...crap. It's that bad? You're going to make me pull it apart again. And I just finished fighting Vista x64 on bad ram w/ the onboard NV raid controller...just wanna play CRYSIS!!!

Watercooling helped a lot. I went from 52 C idle core to 34 C idle core after watercooling.

-Optimummind

Under load playing Crysis, the core reached 42 C with a waterblock. The 8800GT's core runs cooler than the 1900XT 512MB core which reached as high as 55 C under load with water.

-Optimummind

That looked exactly like my 8800GTS SLIs when I ripped apart the heatsinks. I was wondering what would we replace nvidia's heatpads with? Anything that we can buy off newegg? I really like the GT's single slot cooler, so I don't want to buy a 2 slot cooler.

I have though, for the GTS, ripped off all the pads, and used 2 sticks of Arctic Silver 5 to fill in the gaps + GPU + Shader GPU. That's 2 tubes for 1 card. Temps dropped 4c. I wonder if I should rip open my 2 8800GT KO's... I'm getting stuttering in TF2, and it may be this new Asus motherboard's chipset overheating or the KO's overheating in SLI.

image.php

Ok i have a suggestion NEVER USE As5 on a Video Cards Memory or on Pwm's, Its electricaly conductive and it will thin out once you heat up the card . To make things worse if any bridges get crossed YOUR toast .

WoW, 2tubes of As5( i hope it was the real small tubes) is way too much . If anything use half the amount and your temps would be even lower .Thermal paste wont dissapate the heat when you apply too much paste,It will become an insulator and build up more heat in the card! I know the HUGE Memory GAP needed to be filled. I only used 1/2 to maybe 3/4 of a tube of MX-2 ,Which is thinner than As5 ! Also when the card is installed upside down the factory spring screws will lose som tension over time from the heavy heatsink. Eventualy this will make your temps go up when it slowly starts to seperate. This made me put NYLON WASHERS under Each SPRING SCREW and ChecK the Gap with out any paste.Shure enuff the gap closed alot, Allowing use of themal paste instead of thermal pads .The Stock heatsink slowly seperated because of the springs weaking and i was starting to see higher temps ! So a few weeks ago i modded it with MX-2. couldnt be any happier:D

Use MX-2 which is not conductive and is 100% safe for the memory. This paste keeps its form and dosnt bleed when heated, this is crucial on Videocard componets!

Read the part on how to install Nylon washers under the Sping Screws and then use MX-2 on the MEMORY//GPU//Shader.. Your Pwm's arnt under the heatsink so you wont have to worry about that part..Unless you are going to add performance heatsinks to them

This Mod will make the clearance smaller BETWEEN the Board and HEATSINK so you can use paste instead of the dreaded thermal pads..It also allows better contact on the GPU/ ..This does work on the GT// WHICH is the same clearance as the GTS ...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1242603

PM if you need answers;)my 8800oc is in my Sig.

mine idles at 32C and loads at 45C. using a arctic cooling accelero s1 with 120mm fan installed in a antec nine hundred case, case temp is 22C

Card Overclocked too 780 Core, 1800 Shader, 1950 Mem

Awesome results guys. I so badly want to mod these up, but w/ the rumored G92TS looks to have a pretty decent cooling solution. And thank goodness they didn't slit the end like the G80TX/S series.

I installed MCW60 and I am clocking sky high with stock bios/volts.

I am hitting on water:

GPU 771
Shaders 1834
Ram 1900(Don't want to push the ram, 7900GT flashbacks)

There are definitly some heat issues with stock fan, becuase unless I put it to 100%, I was hitting upper 80's at 730GPU

I had a MSI 8800gtx still have it, but it used to idle at 70 something and under load you dont want to know i didnt even want to look, but anyway i added a zalman cooler and it under load with pure stress test only goes up to 45 now its amazing i think MSI is just retarded and doesnt know how to apply thermal past i prolly say they used like 10 pouches of the stuff on mine it was like a 2cm sheet of play dough on the proc of it and the ram thermal patches had holes in them no wander it somewhat screwed my second monitor support have to unplug every time i want to use and their idea of a warrenty is a joke yeah they will take it back right after saying to me it will take 6-11 weeks for use to maybe send it back to you it might be upwards of 2-3 months i was like omg i have to have it in order to do anything and it still worked anyway and after fixing the heat issue myself it workes fine so stay away from them spend the extra 60-80 on a XFX or something for gods sakes

Using RivaTuner, I was getting 65C idle and 90C under load on my eVGA 8800GT Superclocked (650/1625/950)

I removed the factory heatsink and installed my Zalman VF900-Cu and am now getting
40C idle and 60C under load.

I used the RAMSinks that came with the Zalman and also used some spare Heatsinks on the the other components that were covered with thermalpads on the stock cooler.

I am able to overclock stable to 750/1825/1020 at 60C under load.

It is my opinion that this card should be sold in to versions, those who need a single-slot solution but are willing to deal with the heat, and one for the rest of us, who need a 2 slot cooling solution cause we are not willing to burn our hands when we need to reset the bios jumper.

yergg

Your sig is cryptic and unhelpful for someone who wants to know what watercooling kit you're using. Perhaps a link would be more useful.

As for my GT, it runs at 52C idle in Windows with the fan at 35%, and in games it gets up to 69C with the fan at 50%. XFX Alpha Dog at stock clocks (600/900).

Wow, idle at 80 C. On my eVGA 8800GT KO, my idle is 52 C and load under Crysis is 82 C. I'm putting a Koolance GPU waterblock tonight. It's good to see that it works well.

-Optimummind

I have similar temps...48C idle and just under 80C max load in Crysis/3Dmark06...fan's running just over 50% though, but it blends into the noise level I have the Shuttle set to.

Any reason why I would be negatively effecting contact if i reseated the GPU/Memory heatsinks on the card with AS5...I've seen some cards where the "padding" from the stock solution was needed for proper contact.

EDIT: I wanna be picking up a Vantec Iceberq 6 right away to help dump the GPU's heat out of the Shuttle but in the mean time if I can re-seat the stock cooler with AS5 with minimal gains I'll still go for it.

wow i didn't know AS5 was conductive. For my 8800GT, I used MX-2 on my GPU and then small amounts of AS5 on the ram chips since it was more thick. Oops forgot the nylon washers. There are always RMAs haha.

Great idea on the nylon washers--it makes perfect sense. By the way, getting your GTS to 720/1060 or whatnot is insane haha. Props

Ok i have a suggestion NEVER USE As5 on a Video Cards Memory or on Pwm's, Its electricaly conductive and it will thin out once you heat up the card . To make things worse if any bridges get crossed YOUR toast .

WoW, 2tubes of As5( i hope it was the real small tubes) is way too much . If anything use half the amount and your temps would be even lower .Thermal paste wont dissapate the heat when you apply too much paste,It will become an insulator and build up more heat in the card! I know the HUGE Memory GAP needed to be filled. I only used 1/2 to maybe 3/4 of a tube of MX-2 ,Which is thinner than As5 ! Also when the card is installed upside down the factory spring screws will lose som tension over time from the heavy heatsink. Eventualy this will make your temps go up when it slowly starts to seperate. This made me put NYLON WASHERS under Each SPRING SCREW and ChecK the Gap with out any paste.Shure enuff the gap closed alot, Allowing use of themal paste instead of thermal pads .The Stock heatsink slowly seperated because of the springs weaking and i was starting to see higher temps ! So a few weeks ago i modded it with MX-2. couldnt be any happier:D

Use MX-2 which is not conductive and is 100% safe for the memory. This paste keeps its form and dosnt bleed when heated, this is crucial on Videocard componets!

Read the part on how to install Nylon washers under the Sping Screws and then use MX-2 on the MEMORY//GPU//Shader.. Your Pwm's arnt under the heatsink so you wont have to worry about that part..Unless you are going to add performance heatsinks to them

This Mod will make the clearance smaller BETWEEN the Board and HEATSINK so you can use paste instead of the dreaded thermal pads..It also allows better contact on the GPU/ ..This does work on the GT// WHICH is the same clearance as the GTS ...

Stock XFX 8800 GT
idles at 46 degrees
full duty in Crysys 68-71 degrees
Cooled by adjustments in the automatic settings in low level tweaks in RivaTuner, idle fan is 45% (opposed to 29% normally) and ramps up automatically.
Cant even hear it.

By the way, your Golden GPU/lapping is CRAZY lol

Got a bit of water cooling going on with my BFG 8800GT, OC and load temps are shown in the pics.....:eek:
The card is bios modded to EVGA SSC specs.............;)

ochw0.jpg

dsc00070gu7.jpg

dsc00068mx7.jpg

mine idles at 32C and loads at 45C. using a arctic cooling accelero s1 with 120mm fan installed in a antec nine hundred case, case temp is 22C

Card Overclocked too 780 Core, 1800 Shader, 1950 Mem

Good tempratures. So, you replace the stock heatsink/fan by an Accelero S1, did you buy and install the Turbo Module (with 2 80 mm fans)? Any fan on the S1 at all?

Did you installl any additional ram sinks (that come with the S1)?

Took the thing up a bit higher and I'm still at a nice cool 35c load.......:D

800 core, 1836 shader, 2000 memory

oc1vo5.jpg

Back