HoloLens Research Mode Spotlights New Azure Sensor Tech Coming to HoloLens 2.0

cageymaru

Fully [H]
MIcrosoft HoloLens hasn't gotten off to the fastest start as the device has been relegated to researchers, developers and limited industrial uses. At the Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Microsoft gave a demo of the recently released Research Mode which allows developers access to the live sensor data feed. The difference shown between the new upcoming Project Kinect for Azure sensor and the current generation HoloLens sensor is tremendous. The old sensor could barely output an usable image while tracking a single pair of hands. The new Project Kinect for Azure sensor was able to track lanyards and an entire audience raising their hands without slowdowns or jerky video. I can't wait to see what becomes of HoloLens 2.0.

During the tutorial, the researchers showed the audience a preview of the depth sensor feed from the Project Kinect for Azure, which Microsoft unveiled earlier this year as the sensor for the next version of HoloLens. Video from that presentation has now been made public. The footage shows the level of detail that the Kinect sensor is capable of achieving in rendering a point cloud, with even lanyards and wrinkles in clothing visible in the data feed.

I think MS has a clear vision of where they want this hardware to be. I know many were underwhelmed by the actual experience of the first hololens, but the concepts are still killer. I would kill to be able to use a capable AR device on the shop floor at work - to be able to overlay part designs on actual parts that have been built or cut and then to display assembly instructions along with those would be a game-changer we'd be willing to pay through the nose for.

I'm really impressed on the new sensor, the lag has been greatly improved (it seems in the milliseconds now, compared before), good stuff

Back