Hololens Portal in AR/VR is Going to be the Bomb

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Nothing really to say beyond, just friggin' look at it.

I'm skeptical. Portal is first and foremost about physics, but how does hololens accurately understand the environment its operating in? How does it see that stairs are going down, and so the cube should bounce down it? Does it have built in kinnect cameras?

I'm skeptical. Portal is first and foremost about physics, but how does hololens accurately understand the environment its operating in? How does it see that stairs are going down, and so the cube should bounce down it? Does it have built in kinnect cameras?
Yes, it has a depth camera, 4 environmental tracking cameras, and an angular force sensor (IMU).

Not to mention that Portal kind of requires a lot of spatial awareness and the FOV of the actual AR part of the Hololens is pretty narrow from what I understand. I like it as a demo, in much the same way I liked their Minecraft demo but I can't see either as really "playable".

The Hololens is awesome tech and it's come a long way since they first showed it off though. I can't wait until it comes down to a buyable price point for the average tech enthusiast. I'd drop $800-1000 on it no problem. And I don't even see a use case for it... yet.

Not to mention that Portal kind of requires a lot of spatial awareness and the FOV of the actual AR part of the Hololens is pretty narrow from what I understand. I like it as a demo, in much the same way I liked their Minecraft demo but I can't see either as really "playable".

The Hololens is awesome tech and it's come a long way since they first showed it off though. I can't wait until it comes down to a buyable price point for the average tech enthusiast. I'd drop $800-1000 on it no problem. And I don't even see a use case for it... yet.
YU-GI-OH!

HoloLens looks like its coming along and the demo there looks neat, the refresh rate, AR overlay, or tracking sensors definitely need a bump though as I noticed a lot of jitter.

YU-GI-OH!

HoloLens looks like its coming along and the demo there looks neat, the refresh rate, AR overlay, or tracking sensors definitely need a bump though as I noticed a lot of jitter.

I'd like to see games do AR HUDs while I'm playing the game on the actual computer screen while wearing the Hololens. Of course I thought a lot more games would do that sort of thing on the second monitor when multiple screens became a prevalent thing and very few ever did. Is a detailed mini-map on my second monitor too much to ask for? Apparently it is.

Son of a biscuit! It is hard to not whip out a credit card and buy one. Must wait for second gen.

I would really like to see some productivity demonstrations. For me, the Hololens, and all AR, stands a chance of finding its way into the work environment, where pure VR might have a steeper climb.

I'd like to see games do AR HUDs while I'm playing the game on the actual computer screen while wearing the Hololens. Of course I thought a lot more games would do that sort of thing on the second monitor when multiple screens became a prevalent thing and very few ever did. Is a detailed mini-map on my second monitor too much to ask for? Apparently it is.

There was a post about exactly this yesterday...hololens and FFIX or whatever.

seems choppy.
Someone should buy me a holo dev kit, i'll make the x-ray glasses ap and you have have fun ogling at naked people all day.

Not to mention that Portal kind of requires a lot of spatial awareness and the FOV of the actual AR part of the Hololens is pretty narrow from what I understand.

The FOV has been described as a "mailslot" by those that have demoed it, which is probably why MS always avoids discussing it. I reckon it's the main reason developers are ignoring it, though the $3000 buy-in hasn't done it any favors.

Last edited:
Well i mean you need to be careful with the xray feature. It could easily lead to projectile vomiting if not used correctly.
.. or if an erection lasts more than four hours you certainly should call your physician.

Once they get stronger sensors / processors packed into this thing it could be amazing.

I really could have used a "portal" device when I was moving stuff out of the house into the U-haul truck.

Looking forward to when Hololens is readily available for consumers: better believe Seymour will be viewing the world with a classic DooM HUD overlay.

Back