Holographic drives in 2006?

Interesting, but at the bottom they predict speeds will be 20MB/s which is low/mid even for HDDs?

Hmm. So the capacities have dropped, and the transfer rates have dropped. So much for "we have a working prototype"...

perplex said:
Interesting, but at the bottom they predict speeds will be 20MB/s which is low/mid even for HDDs?

Yeah, reminds me of the first CD-ROM drives. What did they run at? Oh yeah, 1X.

You have to expect the first implimentation to be less than elegant. But at least it's release timeframe is soon considering magnetic's wall is coming into view.

wonkman said:
Yeah, reminds me of the first CD-ROM drives. What did they run at? Oh yeah, 1X.

You have to expect the first implimentation to be less than elegant. But at least it's release timeframe is soon considering magnetic's wall is coming into view.

Good point, but what was the alternative? Oh yeah, 0X.

perplex said:
Good point, but what was the alternative? Oh yeah, 0X.

Do you have any good links so that I may educate myself? A Google search of "0X drive storage" produced a plethora of unrelated results.

defakto said:
...0X refers to haveing no cd drive as the alternative...

:p I can't believe I thought 0X was a new technology. Please don't try to sell anything (like a bridge) to me tonight.

wonkman said:
:p I can't believe I thought 0X was a new technology. Please don't try to sell anything (like a bridge) to me tonight.
I have a brand new Porshh 912 TeeBone you can buy for just 10 dollars.

actually i do have a question about cd data rates?

is 1x just the data rate of the first cdrom because everything was a multiple of that, or does the original speed have any meaning (like the rate you have to transfer at to play an audio cd in realtime)

dualblade said:

is 1x just the data rate of the first cdrom because everything was a multiple of that, or does the original speed have any meaning (like the rate you have to transfer at to play an audio cd in realtime)
1x is the speed of audio, about 150 KB/s. Similarly, on DVDs 1x is the maximum allowable video+audio rate, about 1500 KB/s.

dualblade said:

44800 samples/ second * 16 bits/ sample * 2 channels ~= 150KB/s

drizzt81 said:
44100 samples/ second * 16 bits/ sample * 2 channels ~= 150KB/s
FTFY ;) I think you're mixing up 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz, which is used on DAT tapes and other digital recorders. Oh, and many iTunes songs are sampled at that rate, because they come from the original DAT rather than the CD where they were resampled.

Your source of useless knowledge, since 2004. :p

what was the movie... virtuosity? it has taken them waay too long to get a handle on this tech. i remember seeing it sampled on "beyond 2000" or "the next step" ...

perplex said:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/27/inphase_holographic_media/

Prices :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wouldn't it better for them to develop and research for another two or three years and release it? Then maybe we'd have *affordable* prices and competitive transfer rates.

Nope, early adopters drive down the prices and offset development costs.

Think about it, the first DVD drives were thousands, within a few years the drives should be down to a few hundred.

The question is will they ever be price competitive with mainstream storage.

Back