Hollywood to back off: AACS more "lenient"

lesman

2[H]4U
Story HERE

It looks like they've realized how stupid their whole "idea" was. Shunning 3,000,000 HDTV owners out...sheesh.

yeah, thats probably a good idea on their part.
there will probably be more people willing to adopt it since they wont have to buy ANOTHER hdtv set just for that crap

Yeah, I'm very happy about this. The future looks a little more...shall we say, realistic? ;)

Hate to tell you but this is a TEMPORARY thing by Sony. They stated that since the price was so high and the market so small they would do this. BUT as soon as they win the battle or get enough people with their units it " WILL " be turned on.

IF they did it now NO studios would sign with their format. 0 sales won't win the war.
and the few people who purchased one of these $1800 door stops would be screaming and
whining and no one else would buy one.

SONY sucks big time

don't kiss their ass in praise and don't turn your back on these assholes

sparks

Sony, Universal and a few other studios made this announcement a couple of weeks ago. It just means that they will not use the down-res copyright protections on Blu-ray and HD-DVD until most/many/more people have digital/HDCP connections (or whenever they feel like it).

Maybe. Studios may release movies simultaneously on traditional DVD and HD media. If you have a more recent TV/monitor you can choose the HD version and take advantage of the increased resolution. If you have an older TV, you will need to get the traditional DVD.

We had an overlap with VHS and DVD formats until virtually everyone had a DVD player. It may work the same for DVD formats.

At least for now, they have decided not to down-res, but for how long? Hopefully a couple of years.

sparks said:
Hate to tell you but this is a TEMPORARY thing by Sony. They stated that since the price was so high and the market so small they would do this. BUT as soon as they win the battle or get enough people with their units it " WILL " be turned on.

Uh, no. I hope you're not saying that if you buy one of the first players out which supports 1080i over component that it will somehow *magically* know when to turn off that feature. Sorry, the devices are not required to hookup to the internet so there will be no switch thrown a few years from now that breaks your player.

the ability to scale down the res based on hdcp presence is built into the player, but it's a flag from the dvd that activates it. movies that are bought with the flag turned off will always be full res, but the studios could decide to start releasing dvd's with the flag turned on at any time

XMonkey-v2.0 said:
Uh, no. I hope you're not saying that if you buy one of the first players out which supports 1080i over component that it will somehow *magically* know when to turn off that feature. Sorry, the devices are not required to hookup to the internet so there will be no switch thrown a few years from now that breaks your player.

The disc tells the player how restrictive to be, not the other way around.

I think this tactic is called 'bait and switch'. People are right not to trust companies like Sony. All they want is acceptance of the format/methods, and they will sweeten the deal to get it. Once they own you, then they will really feed you what they wanted to all along.

Sony has indeed learned from its BetaMax fiasco...

yea sony has made it known that hd movies will be as cheap as $30.
And once they get their format as standard (I HOPE NOT) then they will cost your
ass and then we will see OH the new players are the only ones to have and you WILL NEED an internet connection to play it....especially if you want to watch OUR movies more than once.

WAIT AND SEE

you think the music industry is screwing everyone these guys are going to teach you how to grab your ankles...

sparks

Back