Hollywood: Google Fiber Leads To More Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
That's right folks, the geniuses that run Hollywood actually said this. :eek:

Even though any decent broadband connection will suffice for illegally sharing copyrighted movies and TV shows, at least two movie studios believe that the faster speeds offered by Google Fiber will result in billions of additional lost dollars for the entertainment industry.

Or just go away. The world, contrary to popular belief, will GO ON WITHOUT BIG BUDGET HOLLYWOOD MOVIES.

Seriously. The older I get the less desire I have to see any of this crap. And I'm not that old.

One of the problems with modern life is that movies aren't special. We see motion video for just about everything we do in life. Movie entertainment is just one unique niche now in an avalanche of video material we can watch.

It just isn't as interesting a pastime as it used to be...

Remember when Sony was fined for illegally using music (in the interview), a film that so far netted them $15m

Me neither...

Movies promote piracy because it gives material for pirates to pirate, so they should stop making new movies and lose less money to piracy.

They seem to be more focused on money lost to piracy than to money earned making movies.

So what? Anyone could just ask Google since they know exactly what you're doing with their fiber connection at all times and keep records of it for all eternity.

Another fine example of big names with big coffers trying to drag us back to the bronze age.

Oh noes! If enough people get fast enough internet connections then we run the risk of Hollywood losing hundreds of trillions and ticket sales dropping by 9,280%!

In other news the sky is falling...

These people are really out of touch with this century. Maybe we should go back to dial-up to make it slower to pirate. Oh wait, won't they lose revenue from license fees generated by Netflix, Hulu, and the like?
Someone should tell them it's not nice to call people names. I have high speed internet (just 30) - because my kids & wife use bandwidth all the time. 2 iPads, 2 TVs, many computers - it adds up for bandwidth usage.

Remember when Sony was fined for illegally using music (in the interview), a film that so far netted them $15m

Me neither...

What are you talking about, you know when Hollywood does it for profit, it's called fair use. When normal people share files it's called piracy. :p

Hate to burst Hollywood's bubble,but there's a lot better things I could do with a fiber connection.
As far as losing money goes,they should stop spending millions on turkeys the average movie goer could have told them would bomb.

My lowly 25mbit connection gets its exercise from Steam games, which are growing in size faster than internet speeds here in Canada. Just over 3 hours for the ~44GB for Wolfenstein today.

Sure, the pirates will still be pirates, and they'll get their stuff a bit quicker if the servers can keep up. For the majority of people, it will mean having more than one media stream into the house while someone is gaming (and/or downloading legitimately). Families are requiring high bandwidth connections per person, which adds up.

Of course it does. I know this is going against the grain of the thread, but the Hollywood guys are right on this. That's not saying I think they're morally right, but the internet structure in this country is pathetic. It's only natural that when people can upgrade to decent internet speeds they'll be able to pirate faster, which also leads to pirating more. And think of all those poor fools on sub 768 kb connections who can't download a movie because it would take 15+ hours. That said, it's time for this country to catch up to the rest of the civilized world when it comes to the internet, and for Hollywood to catch a ride to the 21st century and adapt.

It hasn't led to more piracy in Kansas City. I mean we're right in the friggen middle of the country. There's nothing for pirates to do here. Where the heck are they gonna put their boats?

^can't edit...but obviously I didn't bother to read the article, just in case you were wondering.

Not sure what their point is, or (dare we ask) solutions to their perceived problem. It's like claiming conclusive proof exists that freeways are faster than surface streets when driving long distances.

What they fail to consider is the vast number of people who do not want to watch an extremely cropped shaky cam with shitty audio.
So actual dollars lost to piracy is likely very little, especially considering those who are willing to watch a cropped shaky cam wouldn't have paid to see the movie anyway.

Give them a 1gbit pipe and it won't make a difference.

so they use a "research group" to poll Google Fiber users... translation they ask 1 out of every 100 users and extrapolate that to everyone. Surprised they didn't just check the seeders of torrents and use that to count numbers.

10 to 1 they simply asked users if they download more movies now, and of course many say yes, not thinking about the method (netflix, amazon prime, etc)

I think Google Fiber or other very fast Internet services could cause a few million dollars more "lost" because pirates may be more inclined to pirate more movies if they can.

But nowhere close to billions. Hell, probably more like 10 grand lost if we're talking about actually lost money; people who would've bought the movie if there hadn't been P2P.

Solution is simple, stop making shit movies wrapped in eyecandy, and people will actually go to theaters to watch them. Otherwise, whatever made up lost sales figures they had, will keep on growing.

Hollywood and their entertaining bullshit. I hope they will go bankrupt from all that piracy.

I think Google Fiber or other very fast Internet services could cause a few million dollars more "lost" because pirates may be more inclined to pirate more movies if they can.

But nowhere close to billions. Hell, probably more like 10 grand lost if we're talking about actually lost money; people who would've bought the movie if there hadn't been P2P.
The irony is that most of the hardcore counterfeiting and piracy in the world takes place outside our country, e.g. if you believe 1.5 billion Chinese have some kind of regard for U.S. copyright law, you will first need to explan the concept of personal rights to them, including copyrights. They and many other countries look in astonishment as the world's major creators of entertainment and other content (US/UK/Europe/etc) unilaterally cut themselves off from it. In our country it's the attempted revival of SOPA, the continued shredding of both our First Amendment and internet functionality (everything from usenet to 10-15MB attachment size limitations on our email), simply to continue protecting an industry from last century that has already been sold off and simply awaits final burial.

Hollywood should consider (aka pull ones head out of ass) how this will open up be revenue streams to them and capitalise on it instead of trying to kill it.

The Ayatollahs of Iran actually reduced internet speeds a few years ago in order to protect the people from subversive and anti-islamic content. Great minds think alike and all that, it seems.

Wow, these guys are idiots. They're making a massive generalization that everyone that has broadband is actually just pirating movies or something. Do these guys not see that streaming movies and downloads of PC games (legally) requires a decently fast connection? I prefer not to wait for a few days to play a game while it downloads.

Awww, pour widdle movie industwie. We wiww swow down just for yew.

Movies promote piracy because it gives material for pirates to pirate, so they should stop making new movies and lose less money to piracy.

They seem to be more focused on money lost to piracy than to money earned making movies.
Movie actors should stop supporting Hollywood by refusing to work for any organization with a connection to Hollywood, or find a different career.

Hollywood should consider (aka pull ones head out of ass) how this will open up be revenue streams to them and capitalise on it instead of trying to kill it.

They could make millions more, but "Even though our business model is failing, we're going to buy stock in politicians and asinine regulations instead of figuring out how to make money in new ways."

It's as if Amazon, iTunes, and Steam don't exist.

Steam has DRM of some sort--it locks files to "any account that owns this game" (so if we both own UT3 my friend can use my install files). It never gets in the way that I've seen.

Hollywood, Y U NO contract with GabeN to make Steam Entertainment?

I have Google fiber and haven't downloaded an illegal movie in years (well, ok i got a letter once about some adult video -- which i ignored). There is just way too much stuff on Netflix and Redbox to even bother with illegal films and the risks are not worth it.

I do occasionally torrent some TV shows, but I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble over them yet.

I can hear Samuel L. Jackson from Pulp Fiction yelling, "Go ahead motherfucker! Say PIRACY again."

Sick of these idiots in Hollywood.

Wow, these guys are idiots. They're making a massive generalization that everyone that has broadband is actually just pirating movies or something. Do these guys not see that streaming movies and downloads of PC games (legally) requires a decently fast connection? I prefer not to wait for a few days to play a game while it downloads.

They don't know anything about gaming. Cocaine and hookers pretty much trumps gaming and the internet is just a tool to order more cocaine or hookers.

Pretty sure this is selection bias.

I'm guessing the percentage of hardforum users who pirate video is much higher than the general public, but that doesn't mean were converting people to pirates here.

They are trying to find causation where there is none.

After Sony doesn't allow LEGAL HD rentals off of YouTube of The Interview, fuck hollywood, fuck their shitty movies, and fuck their profits.

Pretty sure this is selection bias.

I'm guessing the percentage of hardforum users who pirate video is much higher than the general public, but that doesn't mean were converting people to pirates here.

They are trying to find causation where there is none.
This.

I make a piece of software. Or record a film. Either way with the intent of making money by selling copies.

Then someone who I've sold a copy to decides to copy it and release it to the internet for download for free and does this anonymously.

How am I supposed to feel?

By hollywood's logic, computers, TV's, and making movies promotes piracy

Back