Hollywood Fights Billionaire's Plan to Let You Rent Movies Still in Theaters for $50

I would pay it.

For a single person watching, might not be worth it, but date, or family? Thats a steal. I went to see Wonder Woman with someone the other day and it reminded me how much I would love something like this. First, someone brought a baby, it starts crying etc etc, rather than being considerate, and leaving to calm the child, they start hushing the kid louder than the kid is crying, got to the point I went and asked them to leave (two rows above me), they didn't even answer, just looked at me, so I went and reported them, staff came in and removed them. 10mins later the group of 6 women right above us decided they wanted to tell jokes to each other rather than watch the movie, I could hear talking, and lots of it, and then laughing, almost non stopped from them, wtf? You want to have a girls chat, don't come to the movies, my GF just looked at me with a "I am going to fucking kill them if you don't" look. Turned around and in not so many words, told them to shut the fuck up, guy next to me when I turn back around looked at me and gave me a "thank you" nod. I was getting very pissed off, as this location has almost always been good, with very little stuff like this, but this trip was totally ruined. $30 for two tickets and another $30 for drinks and some snacks, I have a nice audio setup and a more than big enough TV, and my couch is far more comfy, and I can cook or make whatever food or snacks I want, for a fraction of the cost as well.

This statement was true 20 years ago
Going to the movies is generally considered an "experience" and has been since TV became common. I can often understand waiting for an average comedy to come out on home video, but seeing a really good effects movie on a large screen is so much more engrossing than watching on a 65 or even 88 inch screen. Few home setups can match the encompassing sound. There is the publicly social aspect of simply being in the theater with so many other people. I also happen to really enjoy freshly popper theater popcorn and an Icee branded slush/slurpee drink.
This statement was true 20 years ago. However it is long no longer true. A properly setup 60"+ TV and surround system isn't that expensive and can deliver as good of an experience as anything excepting perhaps imax. The key is properly setup. As for the rest, buy a used popcorn machine off eBay for $30 and get the slurpee for 69 cents if that's so important. Personally the only "experience" offered in theaters are inconsiderate assholes on their damn phones, badly equalized sound, 5 Michelin star food prices on shit food and ripoff prices on tickets.

Yea, it's an "experience" alright.

This statement was true 20 years ago

This statement was true 20 years ago. However it is long no longer true. A properly setup 60"+ TV and surround system isn't that expensive and can deliver as good of an experience as anything excepting perhaps imax. The key is properly setup. As for the rest, buy a used popcorn machine off eBay for $30 and get the slurpee for 69 cents if that's so important. Personally the only "experience" offered in theaters are inconsiderate assholes on their damn phones, badly equalized sound, 5 Michelin star food prices on shit food and ripoff prices on tickets.

Yea, it's an "experience" alright.

Agreed. Many locations have badly setup sound, and my home setup sounds better. The screen size at home is fine, unless I want IMAX. My popcorn machine makes just as good if not better popcorn, if I really want a slurpee (no thanks), I would stop at the store and get one for 1/100th the price as the movies before I put the movie on.

Back when people were more respectful at the movies it was something else and I enjoyed it, now it's hit or miss or drive across town and pay even more for one of the locations that are very strict on whats allowed.

I can actually agree with Hollywood here. Once this is crack people be able to pirate HQ versions of the movie same day as release and wont have to go to the theaters. $50 is also pretty cheap compared to theater. If you have to take 4 or more people to watch it at the theater Hollywood loses money.

This is making Hollywood money because they instantly get $50 while those 3-4 people would have never watched the movie at the theater because it was too expensive.

Two weeks ago, my family went to the movies for the first time in a while. It cost $120 for 4 people once we were done with 4 tickets, 2 shared large sodas, 1 large bag of popcorn, and one box of candy. $50 is a steal compared against current movie theater prices. Compared against my superior home theater setup, a Netflix Blu Ray, and a couple of bucks for microwave popcorn and a 2 liter of soda - $50 is still a lot of money.

for fifty bucks that better include popcorn pop snacks and a handi-j.

People like you don't understand that stuff like UFC are like $100 to buy. $50 for a movie that's in the theater you can have people over just like the other events.

My last experience was watching the new fast and furious movie on premier day. Everybody was very loud, and a guy 2 rows in front of the reeked so bad I wanted to puke the entire time. I dont think ill be going again soon.
Id gladly pay 100$ to rent a movie for a night instead.

People like you don't understand that stuff like UFC are like $100 to buy. $50 for a movie that's in the theater you can have people over just like the other events.
The reason people want to watch movies at home is to get away from other people.

Some people don't understand that and never will. If you don't want to pay the $50 then wait a few more months and get it at normal rates. Otherwise you are going to pay the special event prices. Personally I will still go to the theaters as I don't ever get popcorn or drinks or anything (unless at an Alamo Draft house) so normally I come out having only spent about $10 for seeing a movie, and around me I don't have the same level of trouble most others here seem to. So I am content with going to a movie. But if I wanted to avoid that then $50 would be reasonable.

Do you have a cabinet under the TV? If so, look into getting a ZVOX pedestal soundbar.

Ultra thin but highly articulated wall mount (it's bolted through the drywall and into the cinder block external wall) with no cabinets, boxes, stands, or tables underneath. Right now there are a pair of exposed wires, the HDMI cables from the cable box and 4K blu ray sitting in the corner on top of my CRT screen

I would pay it.

For a single person watching, might not be worth it, but date, or family? Thats a steal. I went to see Wonder Woman with someone the other day and it reminded me how much I would love something like this. First, someone brought a baby, it starts crying etc etc, rather than being considerate, and leaving to calm the child, they start hushing the kid louder than the kid is crying, got to the point I went and asked them to leave (two rows above me), they didn't even answer, just looked at me, so I went and reported them, staff came in and removed them. 10mins later the group of 6 women right above us decided they wanted to tell jokes to each other rather than watch the movie, I could hear talking, and lots of it, and then laughing, almost non stopped from them, wtf? You want to have a girls chat, don't come to the movies, my GF just looked at me with a "I am going to fucking kill them if you don't" look. Turned around and in not so many words, told them to shut the fuck up, guy next to me when I turn back around looked at me and gave me a "thank you" nod. I was getting very pissed off, as this location has almost always been good, with very little stuff like this, but this trip was totally ruined. $30 for two tickets and another $30 for drinks and some snacks, I have a nice audio setup and a more than big enough TV, and my couch is far more comfy, and I can cook or make whatever food or snacks I want, for a fraction of the cost as well.

I wouldn't do it for a date early in the relationship. The big draw is family and friends viewing (which is why Disney is apparently not interested).

People also seem to be a lot more respectful of being in the theater when the screen is an IMAX. For the last few action movies I went to, while the kids in the theater were talking a bit during previews, everybody got quiet and the cellphone lights disappeared when the actual movie started.

I think Theaters would see a serious uptick in sales if you didn't have to take out a freaking loan to pay for a soda & popcorn... not only that, but they don't serve any actual food anymore. I'm thinking of opening a Theater with an in-house deli.. sammiches, soups, salads, hamburgers & hot dogs, chili & cheese fries.. better variety if drinks, teas, coffees, even beer. I think it would do well (shit.. made myself hungry)! Can you imagine how awesome it would be to sit down fora movie with a big ol bread-bowl of clam chowder & a giant iced tea?

We have had a theater like that for about 8 years now. They have a balcony above the regular seating that can only be accessed from a staircase leading up to the restaurant. They charge an extra $2 to sit in the balcony and lounge on real leather seating. They serve beer, wine, and some mixed drinks and have pretty-much all of the stuff you mention, but I personally stick to the chicken fingers, tortillas, and cheese fries. That isn't cheap though. It was close to $50 just for myself including $14 for the movie ticket. The only drawback was that the sound wasn't really that good considering the confined area. They had some speakers in the room but no extra subs just for the room and there didn't appear to be any speakers up front -- relied on the speakers set up for the lower level.

And those who DO go to the movies... At least buy a drink or something. We all know it is expensive but that is the only way the movie theater can make enough money to stay in business. The studio takes 90% of the box office receipts during the first two weeks a movie plays. Weeks 3 and 4 are still 70% to 80%. The movie has to play for 8 weeks before an exhibitor can start to make decent money on the screenings. The sodas and pop corn is what pays the employees and covers the maintenance of the picture and sound equipment. In most cases, an exhibitor must contract the length of exhibition before they know whether a movie will be a hit or not. They get burned most of the time on those contracts.

Last edited:
I think Theaters would see a serious uptick in sales if you didn't have to take out a freaking loan to pay for a soda & popcorn... not only that, but they don't serve any actual food anymore. I'm thinking of opening a Theater with an in-house deli.. sammiches, soups, salads, hamburgers & hot dogs, chili & cheese fries.. better variety if drinks, teas, coffees, even beer. I think it would do well (shit.. made myself hungry)! Can you imagine how awesome it would be to sit down fora movie with a big ol bread-bowl of clam chowder & a giant iced tea?

See if you have a Movie Tavern in your area. It's this + a full bar. It's wonderful.

In our guesthouse, I have a dedicated home theater room with a 110" projection screen and a decent 7.2 sound system, so I have absolutely NO desire to see movies in the theater anymore. With that said, I still wouldn't pay $50 to watch a new release on my system. I'd rather wait for the movie to come out on BR or rent it via Red Box. Honestly, I'm in no hurry to see the newest movies and therefore, when they come out, they're new to me. The only "theater" I'd even consider going to is McMenamins here in the NW. They are a brewpub/theater where you can purchase reserved seating online and order a full meal while watching your movie. They're a brewpub first and a theater second, so the prices are reasonable.

Last edited:

Theaters charge so much (at least stateside) for food and beverages, like popcorn and soda, because depending on the movie they get only a very small percentage (or sometimes zero percent) of ticket sales during the first week or two of a movie's run. The longer it's in the theater the higher the percentage of ticket sales, but the less people who are seeing the movies. The theaters pretty much run on concession sales.

There is a theater near me which is part of the iPic chain that has recliners and reclining lounges as well as offering full food service in the theater. But the screens are standard-ish size and they charge $28 per ticket though.

See if you have a Movie Tavern in your area. It's this + a full bar. It's wonderful.

We don't... ;(

Theaters charge so much (at least stateside) for food and beverages, like popcorn and soda, because depending on the movie they get only a very small percentage (or sometimes zero percent) of ticket sales during the first week or two of a movie's run. The longer it's in the theater the higher the percentage of ticket sales, but the less people who are seeing the movies. The theaters pretty much run on concession sales.

There is a theater near me which is part of the iPic chain that has recliners and reclining lounges as well as offering full food service in the theater. But the screens are standard-ish size and they charge $28 per ticket though.

If we had something near me I would absolutely go.. I have no problem spending more IF the opportunity actually provides me with the kinds of services I enjoy. Also.. the opportunity for greater service @ a cost would help eliminate people showing up being smelly, obnoxious, ass-holes.. BONUS!

If we had something near me I would absolutely go.. I have no problem spending more IF the opportunity actually provides me with the kinds of services I enjoy. Also.. the opportunity for greater service @ a cost would help eliminate people showing up being smelly, obnoxious, ass-holes.. BONUS!

At that price point, I guess you'd be surprised at just how many overly-entitled jerks flood the theater.

I can actually agree with Hollywood here. Once this is crack people be able to pirate HQ versions of the movie same day as release and wont have to go to the theaters. $50 is also pretty cheap compared to theater. If you have to take 4 or more people to watch it at the theater Hollywood loses money.

OMG the boats leaking!

What do we do?

Punch a hole at the opposite end to let the water out!

i honestly dont care about such a service. dont feel compelled to HAVE to see anything on opening day

And those who DO go to the movies... At least buy a drink or something. We all know it is expensive but that is the only way the movie theater can make enough money to stay in business. The studio takes 90% of the box office receipts during the first two weeks a movie plays. Weeks 3 and 4 are still 70% to 80%. The movie has to play for 8 weeks before an exhibitor can start to make decent money on the screenings. The sodas and pop corn is what pays the employees and covers the maintenance of the picture and sound equipment. In most cases, an exhibitor must contract the length of exhibition before they know whether a movie will be a hit or not. They get burned most of the time on those contracts.

Can't agree with you here. Although when I see a movie, I do usually wind up buying water cause it's normally after a hard night's drink so hydration is key. That said, couldn't care less if we had less theaters. I think they'll need to really evolve. Maybe more open 'park' type almost like going to a ballgame where you could walk around a bit, hit up open style restaurants or concession stands while the movie plays. I'm doing a piss poor job of explaining what I can visualize in my head, but who cares if theaters of now either fail or we simply have less locations. Maybe it would send a badly needed wake up call back to Hollywood.

you sit less than 3 feet from your tv? why not buy a bigger tv or a projector then.

as for a policy ruining everything. Sounds more like they are keeping people from getting shit faced and ruining the movie for everyone else by getting loud and annoying.

I have a 40" on my desk and a 55" that sits above that. Yes, I would have gone 65"+ but I have no room to mount it as the set would have hit the ceiling or protruded into the doorway.

Projectors are not my jam so that doesn't make sense for me.

The policy might be for, like you said, people not getting sh*t faced, but what stops them from drinking at the bar next door and coming in, or even sitting at the bar inside the theater having 10 drinks before the movie? I just dislike the small amount per pour (less than a small 8oz can). If it was 12-16oz I wouldn't complain. It seems more likely they are just price gouging on the alcohol. They get two drinks from one glass bottle of beer and charge $5+/ea. Craziness imo.

Bring on the home delivery of day one content! K, thx.

We have had a theater like that for about 8 years now. They have a balcony above the regular seating that can only be accessed from a staircase leading up to the restaurant. They charge an extra $2 to sit in the balcony and lounge on real leather seating. They serve beer, wine, and some mixed drinks and have pretty-much all of the stuff you mention, but I personally stick to the chicken fingers, tortillas, and cheese fries. That isn't cheap though. It was close to $50 just for myself including $14 for the movie ticket. The only drawback was that the sound wasn't really that good considering the confined area. They had some speakers in the room but no extra subs just for the room and there didn't appear to be any speakers up front -- relied on the speakers set up for the lower level.

If that last part is true then all the more reason to not go and if you do, not buy concessions. Why on earth would you encourage people to support a broken business model? If theaters start dropping out of business because people quit propping up a bad business model, then Hollywood will eventually have no choice but to change.

Can't agree with you here. Although when I see a movie, I do usually wind up buying water cause it's normally after a hard night's drink so hydration is key. That said, couldn't care less if we had less theaters. I think they'll need to really evolve. Maybe more open 'park' type almost like going to a ballgame where you could walk around a bit, hit up open style restaurants or concession stands while the movie plays. I'm doing a piss poor job of explaining what I can visualize in my head, but who cares if theaters of now either fail or we simply have less locations. Maybe it would send a badly needed wake up call back to Hollywood.

If that last part is true then all the more reason to not go and if you do, not buy concessions. Why on earth would you encourage people to support a broken business model? If theaters start dropping out of business because people quit propping up a bad business model, then Hollywood will eventually have no choice but to change.

There is that point but, knowing Hollywood, they'll just charge more for the media if they can't distribute to enough theaters. They haven't changed their business model ( at least for the better ) in over 100 years, so they aren't likely to change ( for the better ) if theaters go out of business. I haven't gone to a theater in about 8 years but that is for different reasons -- rude people that have access to technology and not being able to conceal carry.

$50 and wait 30 days? nope......but maybe $29.99 same release night
i'd just ask friends and fam to chip in and bring drinks/snacks and that should cover

hate the ppl at the theaters. none more, none less.....just aggravating period

LOL i'm calm now.

At $50 they had better deliver the UHD Blu-ray package to my door the day that's released. I've got plenty of other things to watch.

I am pretty sure there is already a service like this and has been for a while; mostly present in the homes of very famous people who can't just go to their local theater if they wanted or I suppose if you are super rich and want to watch a new movie in the privacy of your own movie theater.

While I wouldn't use it often as I'm OK with waiting for a BR release, some movies the whole family would like to see soon after it comes out so I'd buy it for 2-3x per year.

Going to see WW soon and it would be nice to just stream that at home. Having said that I'm going to see it in 4k Dolby Cinema which is higher quality than my home theater (1080p, 7.1) hoping the Atmos will be good.

Im on the fence for WW... Ive got a nice Sony 4k with 24b 4.4.4 and an Onkyo 3030 running 7.2.4.. and MAY end up waiting for the blu just because I'm not a fan of the casting... :(

Back