Hollywood Blames Rotten Tomatoes for "Summer from Hell"

Sorry, but I'm calling shenanigans. Rotten Tomatoes had nothing to do with it. The serious lack of anything worth watching did it.

There were several times this summer the g/f and I said to each other "wanna go see a movie?"

"Sure, what's playing?"

[furious googling followed by youtubing]

"Never mind."

"Anal?"

"K."

I think I took the family to 2-3 movies, or is it 1-2?

Alien Covenant, meh. (Only me)
Despicable Me 3, kids loved it.
Spider-Man Homecoming, great.

Everything else is either rental material or not worth watching.

But hey blame others, seems the right thing to do.

i said it before i will say it again watch some classic black and white movies, when actors had to actually act, when special fx was not the focus of the picture, when the plot and script were thoroughly and thoughtfully written.

I blame myself for the poor summer, I didn't have much times to go see movies and ruined their numbers haha. That said I wonder how many people fall into the same boat as me and part of it is times are changing and people don't have time to do see things in theaters so they see them once they are released for home viewing. For a number of years I made it a habit that I would go every weekend to see a movie, didn't care what the movie was I would find a movie every weekend to go see it. Then used to watch a lot of stuff at home. Over that past number of years, work and personal life stuff has cut into that so I might go now every few months to see a movie, many I plan on seeing but don't get to the theaters so just end up waiting for the movie to come out on disc / digital version and watch it there. Its a minor thing but if everyone changes how they watch movies and how they have time to watch movies to the point that they drop 2 movies a year from seeing them in theaters that adds up quick to their numbers.

Blame Trump. Everyone else does. Maybe the Eclipse? Severe Climate Change? Confederate Statues? Unemployment the lowest in 10 years? Oh wait, that would be something positive. Only movie I saw this year worth a damn was Dunkirk.

Hollywood no longer has talent. They only thing they can do lately is rehash old movies and demand they get paid millions for it.

I just saw "IT", you know times are bad when the best movie you've seen lately is a Stephen King remake.

My wife got an email from a local theater for a free movie ticket from their email club for her birthday. We looked over the upcoming movies to see if there's anything worth watching for us, and thus paying for my ticket - after all, who wants to go to the movies alone? We're strongly considering letting the "Sept Only" free ticket expiring because we just don't see anything we want to watch! All the summer movies are in the theater... and nothing we haven't seen seems to appeal to us.

I might be willing to see Dunkirk, but that's not something she wants to see. We've already seen Wonder Woman, Spider Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Nothing else seems to appeal to us.

Give us more decent films, and we'll watch them!

Ugh, it's just awful when the peoples' voices have a greater reach and, as a result, more people decide not to spend their money on something because they've heard that it might not be worth the cost.

Remember when people were stupid and sheltered and they would buy anything because they didn't know better? Those were the days. -Corporations

I won't even see sneak previews (for free) of many blockbusters because I'm so worn out. Transformers ummm 5(?) yeah nope. The Mummy, again? Nope. Watching movies for free is great and all, but I just don't have time to waste on subpar movies.

and holds a loose definition of who qualifies as a critic, making their scores illegitimate.
As if any real critics are any better?
I tend to ignore critics entirely. And on the other side, I often laugh at movies that release on home media with asinine Rotten Tomatoes approval branding or stickers.

I'm interested in something, I will outright ignore any opinions and reviews and decide for myself.

Idiots, Why bothering placing blame on anything. Just take the lesson, walk on and do better next time...
However, I wish there was a clear distinction about movies being of the proposed blockbuster type or if it's a more artistic type, so the good artistic works doesn't get crapped on by the people that only likes blockbuster type movies...

Wonder Woman was excellent and broke box office records. Unfortunately, it was only one of a handful of actually good movies to come out this summer.

Omg she is hawt.

If their is an island like that on earth hidden by clouds, please let me accidentally find it.

I thought Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 was good. Then again, I rented it because I have a wife and kids, and so don't make it out to the movies much unless its something we can all see.

Maybe thats part of it - over Summer, kids are out of school, and being so stuck up their own ass over their politics, Hollywood can't manage to put out good movies the whole family can enjoy?

Sad year when the best you got is the "Emoji" movie...

Usually just go to a friends house & watch the newest blu-ray releases there, if I liked it, then I'll snag a local steelbook edition, wait for a premium steelbook from overseas, grab that, and there Hollywood, I just paid more than the price of taking my family to 'said' movie. :)

btw, the movie "It" was fantastic, buddy from work bought me a ticket, I got the sodas & popcorn, didn't think I'd be the one paying that much more. :p

Some of the better movies I've seen as late were straight to Bluray release and not AAA blockbusters at the cinemas. The Blockbusters are just shallow CGI garbage.

Can you imagine if marvel movies never existed, hollywood would be claiming chapter 13 right now.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
i blame piss poor movie retreads and out of touch leftist so called movie stars with full blown TDS. screw hollywood, screw cnn. screw them all.

I place more value in consumer reviews than "professional critics".

There are tons of movies that didn't get critic's acclaim, but reviewed very well with fellow Joe and Jill Schmoe moviegoers.

Besides, my taste in movies are vastly different than any critic, so I'll formulate my own opinions, thank you.

I will not be told what is a good or bad movie by someone with their own biases that is on a power trip...

ka0eygK.jpg

Were there actually movies out on Labor Day weekend? I thought the theaters were closed.

Awhile back it was piracy, then it was 3d, now RT. Next they'll say that school plays or community theater are detracting people from going. Seriously, where's hypno-toad when you need 'em.

Last edited:
Look. Hollywood makes lots of crap movies.

They also have gotten very good at making increasingly OK movies with broad appeal.

But everyone wants a frikin cinematic universe to print cash like marvel, they suck at it, and even with marvel, they are releasing so many I'm getting fatigued.

The reality is that for a lot of people the theater is EXPENSIVE. Two tickets plus a sitter is minimum $65. And you have turned your summer tentpoles into a frikin soap opera I need to see the last one to know what's going on. So much like my backlog of steam games, I'll get around to them when I get around to them. If I do.

If I go out I'm more likely to see something like Dunkirk, not because it's extra awesome, but because it doesn't effectively start with a "previously on..." and end with a "to be continued".

All this will do is depress day-one sales: people will wait to buy the game until the reviews are available; this is exactly what already started happening years ago with the Internet and movies. It used to be a shit movie would get a good first weekend box office anyway, because it took a few days for word of mouth to spread. The Internet let people put up their opinions faster. It's too bad the studios haven't learned the proper lesson after all this time.

I think there's a shift going on that is not quite being captured by the MPAA type conglomerate. Lets be honest, most of us will eventually see virtually all of these summer movies at some point in the future at home. We're just not in a position to be exploited with the up front cost of going to see them in a theater any longer. The whole market should start to shift its priorities into a long term investment type business model, as netflix, hbo, and other outlets offer relatively fast viewing after theater launch. Shifting expectations and assuming the upfront lower turnout for openings may even open up better dialog between these 2 factions. Maybe this shift has already happened and Hollywood is failing to negotiate the appropriate outlet pricing for offering their movies to these services, as they might as well be the primary screening location for their target audience these days. . .

TVs are cheap. Blu Ray players are cheap. Redbox is cheap.

I think that may have something to do with it.

It wasn't that the movies sucked, it was that the audience watching them THOUGHT they sucked.

Debunking the Rotten Tomatoes myth

"I collected box office return data through Box Office Mojo for all the 150 titles released in 2017 that grossed more than $1 million, plugged in Rotten Tomatoes Scores and Audience Scores for all titles, and looked at correlation between scores and financial performance"
"The result? Nope. The math is pretty overwhelming in saying there was no (positive or negative) correlation in 2017 between Rotten Tomatoes Scores and box office returns."

Oops...

Back