HoleTech™ Redone! (lots of photos)

ToiIetDuck

Limp Gawd
Well I temporarily decommissioned Holetech last year after a year in service and replaced the main desktop with a Chieftec case to give it a bit more room, and for a bit more silence.
I recently got a WD 80gb SE hard drive though, and had a K6-2 500, motherboard and a copy of linux lying around so i thought it was time to get Holetech going again.
I had a spare 400w powersupply which sounded a little like a jet fighter, so the first mod was to hack it apart and 7v the fans, which reduced the noise a fair bit. When i fired up the system for the frst time to test i noticed that the 40mm fan on the cpu wasnt exactly quiet either, so with some spare metal parts from my swiftec hsf i was able to mount an 80mm, adjustable smartfan 2 on the cpu, meaning that the with a little AS5 the k6-2 has never been so cool :)
Using some spare backplates from a dual usb backplate and a digital audio one i was able to get a spot to put the cpu fan controller (complete with posh aluminium knob i had lying around) and the power/reset switches as well as LEDs.
When wiring the case i tried to be as neat as possible, so pretty much all wires are hidden, and the harddrive is mounted backwards. I chose ribbon ide cable as its foldable, and imo much neater as it can be kept out of the way. I also fitted some spare Akasa paxmate i had around the case.

I got a tripod for christmas, so it was a good time to test it out:

PICS:

DSCF0007.JPG

The smartfan 2 mounted onto the 40mm heatsink

DSCF0021.JPG

The pci slots - with a cheapo 10/100 NIC and a pci Radeon 7000 which I had to buy specially for the machine :mad:

DSCF0025.JPG

The rear of the machine, showing fan controller, switches and LEDs.

DSCF0026.JPG

Inside the machine with the lights off

DSCF0029.JPG

A 3/4 profile of Holetech in the dark

DSCF0030.JPG

Side profile in the dark

DSCF0037.JPG

Finally, Holetech in the daytime :)

Click here to see a full photo album (34 pics).

And to see how i made Holetech originally click here.

:eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to knock you over the head with something heavy and take your computer...

AWESOME job :D

as you said, mounting fans on it is dead easy, and if you look carefully you can see where i mounted fans before, but as i want the machine to be pretty quiet its gonna be stuck with the 2 psu fans and the cpu fan. The WD harddrive is loud enough anyway :mad:

Originally posted by Tt Ownage
looks aerodynamic....

did you get the idea from a G5 that u ran into at compusa?

lol
personally i feel the bloke who designed the G5 case was 'inspired' by a certain case that i made, considering I made the case nearly 8 months before G5 preview photos were being released :mad:
ah well, at least apple dont have a cathode in theirs :D

Back