hmmm water + powersupply = ka boom?

ullyeus

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright,

So I replaced a powersupply recently on my main computer.

About a month later the computer went POP and doesnt turn on...led on motherboard still lights up though...

Only reason I replaced the powersupply was due to a noisy fan and didnt want to be bothered with opening it up.

Since then the old powersupply has been sitting on my balcony being rained on (though not in last couple of weeks)

do you think I should use the old powersupply to diagnose it? or do you think it only has the potential to cause more trouble?

Hahaha oh man. Tough call. You left it... Outside?

Um, I'd open it up and check to see if there's any water damage. I'd doubt it'd still be wet, but if traces/components start rusting... Forget it!

Yeah, water normally wouldn't be that big a deal (just put five fans on it and let it go for a couple days), but being rained on... forget it. All sorts of nasty stuff could get in there. I'd just get a new PSU.

Corrosion would be a big factor in this case, causing all sorts of havoc with normal operation, if you value your components I wouldnt ever use it again.

I'd do it tomorow. Free fireworks!!

Just say no.

well, I decided to do it :)

and it actually worked...or at least got me to the boot process so it did it's job (ie: narrowing down which component(s) was fried.

Course...now I went out and bought a shuttle powersupply I got to fit into my ideq...hahaha..today is not my day.

Back