Hmm What to buy? X3 450 or X2 555

Snappshoota

[H]ard|Gawd
Well im kinda in a little predicament. Im planning on build a new rig with my upcoming check, and need to keep it under $400ish.

So what im looking at is a combo deal with Asus M4A785TD-M Evo, and either the X3 450 for $148 or the X2 555 for $152.

What would be a better deal?
Gonna be doing alot of gaming, GTA series, BFBC2, MOH, So I was kinda thinking about the X3 450, since im guaranteed 3 cores. But at the same time I could take the chance and get the X2 and hope to unlock all four cores.

I know the motherboard is pretty decent at unlocking as I had its older brother M4A785TD-V Evo, and it unlocked my X3 435.

What would you guys do?

Rest of system will probably be:
4gb Gskill ram DDR3 1333,
and a
HD5830

both have pretty high unlock rate, i am 3/4 for the x3 and 2/2 for the 555, i'd go with 555 personally.

If your going to be gaming I would go for the X2 555. So few games seem to utilize tri and quad core processors. When the X2 555 came out I remember seeing reviews showing that with details maxed it was within 6-10 frames of processors costing hundreds of dollars more. I got to ask, where are you seeing these prices ? I can get a X2 555 for $102 here in Canada.

Gonna be doing alot of gaming, GTA series, BFBC2, MOH, So I was kinda thinking about the X3 450, since im guaranteed 3 cores. But at the same time I could take the chance and get the X2 and hope to unlock all four cores.

GTA IV and BFBC2 scales rather well with multiple cores. So the X3 450 would definitely outperform the X2 555 there. The key question is this: Are you a gamblin' man? If so, go for the Phenom. If not, the X3.

If it was me, I'd go X3. Not much of a gamblin' man.

@ Simmonz
Those prices are from Newegg.com's combo deals. I.e he's getting the Phenom II 555 with the Asus motherboard for $152. That's not just the price for the CPU. Some of those combo deals (probably with slightly higher prices thought) are actually available at Newegg.ca, Newegg's Canadian webstore.

i would go with the x2 555 not because of what simmonz said but because L3 cache has a much better effect when gaming.. but on the other hand 2 of those 3 games are core hogs.. so its a catch 22.. go with the x2 and hope it unlocks since it has L3 cache.. or go without the L3 cache knowing you will have 3 cores to use.. id still go with the x2 555 but its up to you..

Definitely go with the X2. Overclocks very well, probably 50% chance it will unlock to quad. Even if it doesn't, with a mild overclock the X2 555 BE will surpass the X3 450 in games because of the L3 cache and brute core speed.

I'd go with the x3 450. If the x2 doesn't unlock. then you're stuck with a dual core.

i just built a Rig around the x3 445 & I couldnt get my 4th core to unlock hopefully you get a better chance. I didnt buy the CPU in hopes to unlock it but I figured id atleast try.

one thing I will tell you tho with my 445. the Stock heatsink fan is garbage. Loud & does not cool worth a damn. CPU runs about 45-48c with arctic silver applied.

x3 definitely. The L3 cache isn't as big of a factor as an additional core... plus if you can't unlock successfully it'd be better to be stuck with an x3 than an x2.

Plus an x3 overclocked to 3.5-4.0 has monster performance. An x2 at the same speeds, not so much.

Lots of games are coming out that utilize 2+ cores. So 3 cores is logically a good choice.

The 555. The cache is noticeable, at least to me. The unlock rate is very high. Last one I got unlocked and ran at 3.8 Ghz on stock volts.

Roll the dice.

A triple core in hand is better than a two core,with the possiblility of a unlock

They're both great CPU's for the money, however the 555 BE will undoubtedly have superior performance to the X3 in games unless the X3 is clocked a fair amount higher. Here's a perfect example of the performance difference clock for clock:

fc2_4870_16.jpg

Clearly you can see Athlon II @ 3.9Ghz still can't even match Phenom II @ 3.1Ghz.

ahah still tossing the 2 around, been reading alot of benchies, and reviews, But I may just stick with the X3. Who know I may just end up selling the X3 a few weeks after I get it and just get a legit X4.

Got untill tuesday.

Now im re thinking my GFX card.. Might be grabbing a 6850 if they are instock when I buy tuesday.

X3 740 black edition Heka 3.0ghz for 89 bucks and the chance to unlock.

Just wait a little longer, save another $50 up and get a 955 x4. They clock like crazy now, and you won't have to worry about whether the extra core(s) unlock.

Better piece of mind.

@ Simmonz
Those prices are from Newegg.com's combo deals. I.e he's getting the Phenom II 555 with the Asus motherboard for $152. That's not just the price for the CPU. Some of those combo deals (probably with slightly higher prices thought) are actually available at Newegg.ca, Newegg's Canadian webstore.

Damn, in that case it's a pretty good deal. I still like the motherboard I have my eye on, the Asus M4A88T-M/USB3, but it's because I want the USB 3 and SATA 3 support for later on.

Screw it I splurged, Love when extra money comes in. :)

Bought:
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO
with
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

So im pretty much content, now..

Thanks for eveyones opinions!.

Now just have to wait till thursday :(

Back