HMD for word processing

Hi. I travel to work on a train and have trouble with the sun in my eyes and people looking over my shoulder when working on a laptop. I simply want some smart glasses that display my Ms word file - I would continue to type on my laptop. Is there any product that can do that?

Vuzix Blade? Basically anything that's not a full fledged VR headset (e.g. Oculus Quest) is prohibitively expensive. I think those Vuzix Blade's are $799-999.

The fact that you need it to be portable is the real problem here. That pretty much limits you to the inside-out tracking systems like WMR and the newer Oculus ones.

Resolution will also likely be a problem. You can use apps like Bigscreen to do desktop stuff in VR, and WMR actually had surprisingly good desktop-tasks-in-VR features when last I tried it, but the resolution of the HMD makes text pretty hard to read if it's not really big. There are 4K per eye headsets that I assume make this better, but I think most laptops would struggle to drive them, and even then, it may not be enough.

I think your best bet right now is the Samsung Odyssey Plus, which has the advantages of being pretty inexpensive and compatible with WMR, which seems to be a lot more flexible, hardware wise.

I think this is slightly overkill. You could simply use a polarizer on your laptop screen so that off axis viewing is black. It's a low tech solution for sure, but it is certainly a lot more cost effective. I suppose it won't help with the sun in your eyes.
I realize this might fit into the "just answer the question I asked" category, so if alternative solutions aren't welcome, I apologize in advance.

Back