HL3 Clue in Dota 2?

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a file named "hl3.txt" in the new Dota update? You know what that means....Half-Life 3 CONFIRMED!

SteamDB notes the inclusion of a file called hl3.txt in the latest Dota 2 update (thanks VG247). This contains snippets of code, while the name of the file naturally inspires speculation that Valve is either hinting at something, or they've just taken to trolling us about their shooter series.

HL3 could stand for a lot of things....oh who am I kidding HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!!!!!

Well now you've done it, it's probably been delayed another year because of this post.

I feel sorry for Valve in a way. At this stage, whatever they do with Half Life 3 will never live up to the hype.

HL3 VR only, with custom hardware peripheral revolutionizing both VR and gaming

Half Life is like the Lost of video games, endless suspense and mystery can only sustain a story for so long. After Episode 2 I really didn't have much interest in another.

HL3 VR only, with custom hardware peripheral revolutionizing both VR and gaming

VR and Vulkan. It would make sense that they would release updates for all their games with native Vulkan backends for their new platform. We've already seen DOTA2 on Vulkan. Especially with the SBoxes a month away. VR and headcrabs seem to be made for each other.

I feel sorry for Valve in a way. At this stage, whatever they do with Half Life 3 will never live up to the hype.

Uh huh. The FPS adventure genre is still very crowded. We all know it will be high quality but...will it be memorable?

Valve has the advantage of nothing actually being known of HL3 outside of potential rendering tech. The hype is more "IT'S HAPPENING SOMEDAY!", and less "IT'S GOING TO DO XYZ!"

See Duke Nukem Forever as a long-delayed hyped game whose failure was exacerbated with videos/screenshots of missing content, or not in-tune with the final product.

One day, HL 3 *will* be confirmed, and then you'll all be sorry. You'll all be *very* sorry! And I'll be laughing! Laughing! Ha ha ha haaa! Ha ha ha haaa! Ha ha... ahem.

Have you ever wondered if this has becomes Gabe's own version of a Pavlovian experiment ... either that or Gabroengers cat ... Half Life 3 is in a box and is both completed and vaporware until you open the box :p

The only way this game will be made is if Valve needs a quick cash grab.

IMO, edit that to valve feels a compelling business reason to deliver it.

At this point, I think the only hope of that is that they feel HL3 can make or break their steamOS/steam hardware goals. I don't think the only way to get there is for them to get greedy suddenly or have their current cash flow dry up.

FPS's have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Valve would have to come up with something pretty innovative to make an impact.

Have you ever wondered if this has becomes Gabe's own version of a Pavlovian experiment ... either that or Gabroengers cat ... Half Life 3 is in a box and is both completed and vaporware until you open the box :p

I personally view it was more of proof of the insanity of people on the internet.

im kinda fed up by now with all the teases they are doing this way.. dont see the points its intentional but i dont see why they would do this since they never say anything about the damn game anyways...

FPS's have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Valve would have to come up with something pretty innovative to make an impact.

What :confused: ... the story based ones and MP ones both make millions ... unless grave means something else in your land :D ... I am sure that the new Doom will make no money whatsoever :p

im kinda fed up by now with all the teases they are doing this way.. dont see the points its intentional but i dont see why they would do this since they never say anything about the damn game anyways...

It has become like pretending to throw the ball to your dog and then hiding it ... sure it is fun for a couple of tries but then you just become and ass :D

Yeah, it won't live up to the hype, but I don't feel sorry for Valve. They could have made the game a long time ago and chose not too. I'm at the point I really don't care if it does or doesn't get made.

As for the file, it's just Valve trolling as usual.

eh might as well just save it for VR at this point. the move to VR is the only way to really reset people's expectations of hl3 which have gotten out of control. it also would give valve the opportunity to have hl3 be VR's super mario 64. not even sure theyd call it "half life 3", but itd be hl3 nonetheless.

either way, im pretty much over half life at this point anyway.

a bit like sony's infamous ps3 e3 presentation made every launch game come under 10x the scrutiny (those e3 pre-rendered videos were amazing - sony acted like they were real time - but made the actual ps3 games look like nice ps2 games), hl2's disastrous development history put a sour tinge on the series. i still dont think hl2 is a spectacular game (my opinion) and i feel the series has been poorly managed as a whole. seems like valve has backed themselves into a corner.

i just dont think the series will go back to what i loved so much about hl1. youre not a super solider/savior shooting 20 RPGs at a 10-story walking tank, youre a scientist... a scientist! caught up in this surly situation you cant make sense of, of which you survive often by luck, circumstance, caution, and playing your cards right. you felt vulnerable in hl1. in hl2, i felt like the rambo formerly known as freeman. :(

IMO, edit that to valve feels a compelling business reason to deliver it.

At this point, I think the only hope of that is that they feel HL3 can make or break their steamOS/steam hardware goals. I don't think the only way to get there is for them to get greedy suddenly or have their current cash flow dry up.

It is fun to think that if they released HL3 as a SteamOS exclusive, the SteamOS consoles would fly off the shelves. However it has been so long that while it would boost sales it wouldn't be as amazing as it would have been - oh 5-7 years ago!

What was in the .txt file?

Itis a reference in the code:

string m_Id = "Attribute.item_generic.pickup_prevents_respawning"
string m_FriendlyName = "Pickup prevents respawning (HL3 only)"

string m_Id = "Attribute.item_generic.associated_player_counter"
string m_FriendlyName = "Associated PlayerCounter Name (HL3 only)"

I feel like if they are going to release it that they will at least wait till the HTC Vive is in retail stores. So until that happens i have zero hope for HL3 anymore. Im more excited about source 2 then HL3 at this point.

Valve is on record saying there will be no VR Half Life. Their CEO has also said that a game that does not follow along the same path as DOTA2 and CS:GO does not make sense for them.

You people who think HL3 is coming soon, and it will be a revolutionary VR experience for Steam Machine, are living in a dream world. Valve makes heavily monetized F2P multi-player games and runs a storefront, it's not 2004 anymore.

Why are people so gullible in thinking in HL3 will come out any time soon. It isn't. Gabe and Valve don't give a shit any more about a dead franchise and they don't give a shit about the fans. All they care is about milking moar money which they are doing just fine with CS GO skins and in game keys and music kits. I'd wouldn't be surprised if HL3 or Lost Episodes 3 will not come out after the next decade or when Gabe is buried 6 feet under.

Back