hl3 2018 with vr rumour..........

RUMOR

None of it was confirmed, in fact, it sounds more fishy than true.

Stopped reading after the first sentence: "Until now, there have been no official announcements made for the "Half Life 3" game."

It's 1/2 Valve trolling (the DOTA folder) and 1/2 speculation. Yet I don't think it's out of the question. Broken clocks being wrong twice a day and all.
It's a very easy thing to speculate about thanks to powerful new tech finally coming to fruition and Valve's relationship with HTC. People on this forum have predicted it, and they have just as much proof as the article writer.

And since alot of us built new rigs just for hl2 and doom3.. yeah. here we go again.

LOL.

At this point, by the time HL3 comes out, we'll probably have the real life version of Star Trek Next Generation Holodecks.

So in reality not in our life time.

Figured it HL3 is going to be a VR show case even since they started working on VR. Makes sense. I mean, it's not very likely to be an all VR game but it it would have to be very invested in it no matter what. BELIEVE

Then again, I've been wrong many times over the years

Soon as I heard about Valve doing Source 2, Steambox and VR I figured that's what was holding up HL3. They have a history of using their own games to push technology.

At this point, I refuse to believe anything HL3 releated unless Gabe Newell himself says on recorded video that HL3 is back in development or he quotes a release date.

Same. Valve already has other IPs that are better suited for a VR game with the technology's current limitations in both Left 4 Dead and Portal anyway. But the basic premise of the article (a AAA Valve VR title by 2018) is happening for sure. Gabe has already gone on record as saying that over half the company are working on VR projects right now.

This has already been known for a while. Pretty sure Valve has already stated that hl3 will NOT be a vr game but this could be a vr spin off set in the hl universe.

Hope I'm still alive by the time this game comes out.....
not like in 2020

Would like to see a Left For Dead 3

Just release it and get it over with. There is absolutely no way Half Life 3 can live up to the hype at this point in time. If you want market penetration, you have to release on the consoles, and that itself will severely limit what you can do. At the very best, you'll have some fanboys and magazines claiming it's perfect, but a large amount of people, who never played the first two games, not understand the hype that it's getting. And I honestly don't know anymore if it's possible for a video game to blow people's minds anymore.

Just release it and get it over with. There is absolutely no way Half Life 3 can live up to the hype at this point in time. If you want market penetration, you have to release on the consoles, and that itself will severely limit what you can do. At the very best, you'll have some fanboys and magazines claiming it's perfect, but a large amount of people, who never played the first two games, not understand the hype that it's getting. And I honestly don't know anymore if it's possible for a video game to blow people's minds anymore.
I doubt they care too much to release it on consoles. Valve has a fuck ton of cash from their other games that are primarily PC only....everyone is going to buy half life 3 regardless because it's fucking half life.

There is absolutely no way Half Life 3 can live up to the hype at this point in time.

What hype? Why do people keep saying this? There is zero hype for this game because everyone has given up on it long ago.

The reason Duke Nukem Forever didn't "live up to the hype" is not because it took forever to come out. It's because it was a shit game.

Valve doesn't do shit games. All they need to do is put out a continuation of the HL2 story with the same polish as the previous episodes, and it's going to be praised.

VR is still just a gimmick, a small niche market, and still be in 2018. There is absolutely no logic in restricting your biggest IP to such a small market.

It's easy to tell when someone hasn't actually TRIED a Vive or Rift.
I'm not saying it's bad. But at $700 I'm not betting on widescale adoption any time soon. It has nothing to do with quality of the product. It's a gimmick as in, not essential, like owning an expensive racing wheel. But at least racing games can be in theory played without a wheel, but VR games can't be without a VR set.

To clarify I'm not saying it's great either. I have no opinion on the subject whatsoever, since as you said I haven't tried it. And at the current price I'm not interested in trying it. And I bet a lot of people are in the same situation.

What was the reason Valve stopped making HL2 episodes anyways? Was there ever a legitimate answer?

I'm not saying it's bad. But at $700 I'm not betting on widescale adoption any time soon. It has nothing to do with quality of the product. It's a gimmick as in, not essential, like owning an expensive racing wheel. But at least racing games can be in theory played without a wheel, but VR games can't be without a VR set.

To clarify I'm not saying it's great either. I have no opinion on the subject whatsoever, since as you said I haven't tried it. And at the current price I'm not interested in trying it. And I bet a lot of people are in the same situation.

It's going to stay in this boat though until it gets some AAA titles. Oculus is dumping a bunch of money into game devs, but no one is better positioned than Valve to make a VR game from the ground up that is good enough to move headsets on its own. Once we have some games that are moving hardware (rather than the other way around) the price will come down. I have no doubt that a Left 4 Dead VR could be good enough to move units on its own with the right marketing. After playing Arizona Sunshine, I'm convinced it is possible to make a better zombie game than has ever been made before using VR and I expect Valve to get there first.

Yeah, nothing concrete so nothing for me to raise my eyelids at.

Maybe Half Life 3 is completed and all these "leaks" over the years are clues to a grand puzzle we have to solve in order to be able to play the game....

I watched an interview where they gave a tour of Valve and Gabe went on record explaining that he's just waiting around for someone to come up with a good script and nothings moving until someone does. When you hear story rumors is when youll hear news about the game.It has nothing to do with technology they just havent come up with a worthwhile story to tell.

Maybe Half Life 3 is completed and all these "leaks" over the years are clues to a grand puzzle we have to solve in order to be able to play the game....

half-life-3-i-want-to-believe-x900.jpg

I'd rather Portal 3 than HL3.

I remember being bored to dead of all the talking in HL2:Ep2 and I will never forget turning off the sound near the end of Portal 2. They've lost it a long time a go.

Only interested in L4D3.

I remember being bored to dead of all the talking in HL2:Ep2 and I will never forget turning off the sound near the end of Portal 2. They've lost it a long time a go.

Only interested in L4D3.
The dialogue was one of the best part of the portal game(s). You may the the only person on earth that didn't like it.

Sounds like you may be a button smasher ;)

People said we'd never see Duke Nukem Forever, Star War Episode 7, and Chinese Democracy, too.
I feel we'll definitely see a HL3 at some point. It's just a matter of when. That might be in 12-24 months or it might be in 10 years.

The dialogue was one of the best part of the portal game(s). You may the the only person on earth that didn't like it.

Sounds like you may be a button smasher ;)

You're right. Valve should absorb Naughty Dog and put an end to this silly gamePLAY crap

You're right. Valve should absorb Naughty Dog and put an end to this silly gamePLAY crap
Werd. Who wants to think or listen to any kind of story in a video game. I just want to press X when prompted and win the game ;)

Werd. Who wants to think or listen to any kind of story in a video game. I just want to press X when prompted and win the game ;)

Press X when prompted is the exact opposite of being a button smasher, though. You need to do better, newbie :)

Press X when prompted is the exact opposite of being a button smasher, though. You need to do better, newbie :)
Sorry, im not used to playing games where I need to press the button more than once. Games are way to complicated with all their story and crap like that. Thats why nowadays I turn the sound off, the screen off, the pc/console off, and flip the house breaker. Then I just sit there and pretend I won.

But really, I didn't think it was possible for anyone to not like the dialogue in Portal(maybe in HL2 but I dont even remember the game now). It's not even like its cutscenes with a bunch of talking. Its quick and to the point and never even interrupts gameplay one bit. Everything spoken in that game was GOLD.

Back