HL2DM -- Glaring oversights

Twinkie

Gawd
Hey, gang.

Just wondering what people thing could've been done right with the release of HL2DM?

1. Difficult to setup servers/playerlimits
2. NO CROWBAR

I can deal with #1 -- but no crowbar? The ZPM is cool and all... but nothing was quite as satisfying as running up and whacking some fool with a crowbar.

Dude, chill out. For one, HL2DM is NOT "freaking great". Quake I DM was better than this crap. The thing has 2 maps! 2!!!

Twinkie said:
Hey, gang.

Just wondering what people thing could've been done right with the release of HL2DM?

1. Difficult to setup servers/playerlimits
2. NO CROWBAR

I can deal with #1 -- but no crowbar? The ZPM is cool and all... but nothing was quite as satisfying as running up and whacking some fool with a crowbar.

I have been playing with the sdk and YES you can put a crowbar in the map or have the player start out with one.

lookie lookie.....
dm_crossfire0001.jpg

dm_crossfire0000.jpg

i spy a certain map :D

7718 said:

Settle down child ... first of all I hope you get a warning or banned for name calling.

Secondly, CS and CS:S suck... ha ha ha. Lastly this guy was just expressing his concerns with the game, next time you decide to talk .. do the world a favor and don't, kthnx.

7718 said:

Thats 2 different posts with name calling...

/grabs his pitchfork

Someone needs to get banned :D Most of us here are civilized, I suggest you read the forum rules before responding yet again.

missing team games, then it will be fun :) until then ut2004 assault is my home

7718 said:
"Half-Life2 didn't change my pathetic meaningless life!! I was expecting at least that much! curse you valve!"

sigged.. not sure if it's originally yours.. but if so, I'll give credit where it's due..

7718 said:

Based on your join date, I'd say that you've been here long enough to have at least read the rules once. It boggles my mind that you can't even follow the first of them. You're not going to get anywhere by flamming everyone with a different opinion than you. If you are not capable of stating your case without resorting to name calling and personal attacks, then you should not be posting here.

valve likes to release stuff early for some reason with source stuff. yea there are only 2 maps, but you would have people complaining if they didn't release anything, but this is a good start. im certain they'll add the crowbar to at least the resistance's arsenal

i played it for about 10 min i think it was really fun even with all the lag on the server i was on it was fun but CS:S is more betterer whall.

It probably isn't finished...

This is the whole point of Steam, so that they can release stuff gradually over a period of time, and can update whenever they feel like it. I assume the next update for HL2DM would be in what, a week or 2?

LOL, you people kill me.

<14 year old intarweb mastar> OMG HL2 sux, no multiplay!!!1 :mad:
<Valve guy #1> Hmmm.. people seem to be upset about the no multiplay aspect ... should we release the free DM add-on early?
<Valve guy #2> Well, there's only 2 maps and some bugs to be worked out...
<Valve guy #1> I think the online community would really appreciate it though. Just as a show of good faith that we will have an exciting, free add-on for them, we can release a preview build. They'll love it! :)
<14 year old intarweb mastar> OMG HL2DM sux, only 2 maps, Valve has ruined my life and Gabe Newell is like Hitler, except more evil!

Jesus Christ, get off your cheeto-eating ass and do something else if HL2DM is destroying your will to live or something.

bipolar said:
LOL, you people kill me.

<Valve guy #1> Hmmm.. people seem to be upset about the no multiplay aspect ... should we release the free DM add-on early?
<Valve guy #1> I think the online community would really appreciate it though. Just as a show of good faith that we will have an exciting, free add-on for them, we can release a preview build. They'll love it! :)
<14 year old intarweb mastar> OMG HL2DM sux, only 2 maps, Valve has ruined my life and Gabe Newell is like Hitler, except more evil!

Jesus Christ, get off your cheeto-eating ass and do something else if HL2DM is destroying your will to live or something.

LMAO qft

Man, a lot of you guys have no patience.

Back a few years ago, before CS was even considered 'playable', we were glad for any mod that came out for HL1, they were all fun to play for a little while.

HL1 had about 6 years to get to where it and its mods are today. HL2 has been out a few weeks, and people are already saying "OMG this sux0rs". Give it time.

HL2DM is a start. Take it for what it is, and be patient while it becomes more polished.

Maybe alot of you are used to console games like HALO(2), where you get what you get right when you buy the package. The nice thing about the PC gaming scene, is that it constantly gets updated, and most updates are influenced by the desires of the player, and feedback from the community.

GABE NEWELLZ ATE HLDM LOLOLOLOL111!!!!1
:rolleyes:

Is it just me or is the 9mm pistol worthless and the Revolver is God :eek:

bipolar said:
LOL, you people kill me.

You, sir, are a giant amongst men..

Alex A. said:
GABE NEWELLZ ATE HLDM LOLOLOLOL111!!!!1
:rolleyes:

Is it just me or is the 9mm pistol worthless and the Revolver is God :eek:

Yeah it seems like some balancing issues need to be fixed

bipolar said:
LOL, you people kill me.

Wow, I like how when I say I don't like something, I am automatically a cheeto eating 14 year old. I saw in another thread Torgo posted how he thought HL2 was fun, but not "all that" like other people are saying, and people jumped on his for being "biased". It's really funny how people automatically discredit others for not thinking the same thing as them. Heaven forbid that people have different opinions. I mean, I used to be able to share what I think here without being berated. And I'm not just talking about this thread. I'm talking about all of them here, particularly in the Games forum. It's gotten so hard to actually hold a civil conversation about a game without people resorting to childish language and tactics.

Visable-assassin said:
I still prefer Quake 2 DM :)

I also enjoyed Quake II DM, but I still played more Quake I even when Arena was out. Especially with the Tenebrae and other 3D enhancements were available.

anyway.. the mapping contest was a good idea, we are going to have a lot of great maps when its over.

Maximus825 said:
Wow, I like how when I say I don't like something, I am automatically a cheeto eating 14 year old. I saw in another thread Torgo posted how he thought HL2 was fun, but not "all that" like other people are saying, and people jumped on his for being "biased". It's really funny how people automatically discredit others for not thinking the same thing as them. Heaven forbid that people have different opinions. I mean, I used to be able to share what I think here without being berated. And I'm not just talking about this thread. I'm talking about all of them here, particularly in the Games forum. It's gotten so hard to actually hold a civil conversation about a game without people resorting to childish language and tactics.

What I find rather interesting is how, though my post was addressed towards no one in particular and was a general statement on how HL2DM was received, you perceived it as applying particularly towards yourself. Why is that, I wonder. Perhaps my general statement actually was fairly on the mark in its description of a particular individual?

bipolar said:
What I find rather interesting is how, though my post was addressed towards no one in particular and was a general statement on how HL2DM was received, you perceived it as applying particularly towards yourself. Why is that, I wonder. Perhaps my general statement actually was fairly on the mark in its description of a particular individual?

Wow, all you can post are personal attacks? Do you not have anything actually meaningful to say?

Maximus825 said:
Wow, all you can post are personal attacks? Do you not have anything actually meaningful to say?
Again, my original statement was a general one, hence the word "people" as opposed to "person". You are, I presume, a single person, and as such a post addressing a group of persons (i.e., "people"), is not specifically addressed to you.

Therefore, there was clearly no personal attack, as there was nothing personal at all in my post; it was a series of general statements. It would be akin to my saying "Some people are dumb" and you saying "Hey, quit calling me dumb!" *You* are the one including yourself in that group, which says quite abit about your image of yourself, incidentally.

Hope that clears things up for you. Incidentally, if you search my post history you'll find another thread I posted in today regarding my feelings about HL2DM. Compare and contrast that to your first posting in this thread to garner some insight into the difference between a meaningful post and pointless flaming.

Happy to help :)

bipolar said:
Again, my original statement was a general one, hence the word "people" as opposed to "person". You are, I presume, a single person, and as such a post addressing a group of persons (i.e., "people"), is not specifically addressed to you.

The "group" of people you would be addressing could include all the people who had posted in the thread before you. If that is not true, then you would simply be spamming the thread. You're not a spammer are you?

Maximus825 said:
The "group" of people you would be addressing could include all the people who had posted in the thread before you. If that is not true, then you would simply be spamming the thread. You're not a spammer are you?
The topic of the thread is "HL2DM -- Glaring oversights". My comment was certainly pertinant to that topic, as it referred to those who leapt to conclusions about said "glaring oversights" based on what was obviously an early release. It does not necessarily follow that I was addressing anyone in the thread in particular. Not everything is about you -- true story.

I'm finished hijacking the starter's thread. I apologize for any inconvenience...

Maximus825 said:

Maximus from the 3rd person view, you are making yourself look bad. I am in disbelief that everyone can't get along and everyone has to have the last say because everyone is right and everyone is wrong.

As you all may know I blasted Valve in the CS:S is beta article and one of the things i blasted them about was not listening to the community.

Prior to the HL2 release they said over and over again that there would be no HL2 multiplayer and that CS:S was the multiplayer. The community has generally been in an uproar over this. So imagine my delight and amazement when out of the blue they release HL2DM. There was some confusion on how to set up the max players and yeah there's only two maps but the fact that its there at all is impressive.

GG Valve

Dude I have more fun flinging things at people with the Grav Gun than anything else.

Taking some guy out with a dumpster is awesome!

d34dly said:
Dude I have more fun flinging things at people with the Grav Gun than anything else.

Taking some guy out with a dumpster is awesome!

In the prison level, with the little carts in the huge shower room a guy tryed to shoot one of the carts with the Grav-Gun at my teamate i shot him in the back of the head with the Revolver and his body flung into the cart he droped.
:p

Alex A. said:
In the prison level, with the little carts in the huge shower room a guy tryed to shoot one of the carts with the Grav-Gun at my teamate i shot him in the back of the head with the Revolver and his body flung into the cart he droped.
:p

ROFL... Dude makes you wish you had taken a demo.

Some people are gods with the grav gun. the catch everything I throw... really annoying.

doh-nut said:
anyway.. the mapping contest was a good idea, we are going to have a lot of great maps when its over.
Oh, it's total genius on the part of Valve. Why should they make the maps when they can lure the community to do it for them? That $5000 prize is nothing compared to what it would cost them to do it internally.

Is Valve using the public? Sure. Would the mappers have done the maps anyway? You bet. Do the users mind? Nope. The contest is just incentive to get more maps done sooner.

Noodle Boy said:
Team? What team? There can be team deathmaeches in HL2DM? :confused:

Yes, I've seen Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch as 2 game types in the server browser

Back