HL2, "Referenced Memory at 0x######" , AND YOU!!!1

USA Inc.

Gawd
The Instruction at 0x####### referenced memory at 0x#######. The memory could not be 'read'

im collecting answers and solutions to this error in this thread for the sole reason that this is whats stopping me. im sure there are others like myself but i cant seem to get mine working. im about to go get the retail copy but i dont think thats going to work. anyway... lets get some of those collective juices flowing and get this shit kicked...

Simplest thing would be are you OC'd? I had a similar problem with a game that crashed and I swore it was the software. Updated all my drivers, etc. uninstall, re-install. Wouldn't work. Finally tweaked my OC down a hair and voila! works fine now.

im at stock right now...

specs:
amd64 3000+ @ 2.0ghz
radeon 9700pro
2x256 DDR
KV8 SE Deluxe

ill drop the clock speed a bit. ive redownloaded dx9.0b and im trying to get that installed as well as the new catylist drivers. just my fkn luck.. steam is down. i was afraid that this was going to happen something like this....

Same error here.
Still at work. I'll leave it up to you folks to come up with fix by the time I get home. ;)

I've had it pre-loaded for a while now. Had a voucher from like a year ago. Locks up at loading screen with error after choosing new game.

I've seen that error running AquaMark3 be4. Right at the very end in the massive overdraw section. But thats it. HL2, no errors. Running the DL'ed steam version.

wow and now that ive done these changes and rebooted... steam wont fucking connect. valve... you got some splannin to do!!

seriously though, i thought you didnt have to connect to steam after the initial authorization. i dont want to go get the retail because if steam isnt working, then thats another 55$ blown...

on a side note, anyone own both steam and retail? when i uninstall the retail *standard, is it going to mess with my steam *silver version? man this steam thing is shaping up to be one of the biggest disasters ever.

Try putting your vid card clock back to stock....I had a single crash like that last night...but it has not happened since. But I did clock back to "default" of 520/560 instead of the 540/580 I was running. I will test some more tonight with going up on clocks again.

HL2 may be pushing some of the gpu's capabilities more than even something like, D2 or FC.

The only thing overclocked in my system is the processor and I've brought that down 100mhz.

same error here.. I've turned off overclocks on both CPU and video card... reinstalled every driver ( video, sound, MB, bios ) .. Switched ram chips :p ... yet nothing, I get this error right after the opening intro.. I see the main screen flashed really quickly, then black screen, then error message and I have to close.

I just bought the retail version, and Im in the process of installing it on my other computer.. the fuckin slower one with pc2100 ram :( Oh well if it works on that computer than good... I will then uninstall the steam downloaded files of HL2 on this computer and reinstall using the retail to see if that does anything. If both computers and both copies don't work at all, then valve can suck a mean dick.

wish me luck...

i love it, steam is down. after i get THAT problem fixxed i still have to fix the mem error. how hilarious, i have to fix one error to even get to fixxing another.

the next patch better just be one that allows everyone to just fucking play.

same here.. since I have HL2 ati coupon registered to my steam account, and since I just bought the retail version, I tried to create a new steam account.. no dice, error after error... so I decided bah, Ill just log in my main steam account and see if the retail version works.. oh yah no dice, everything steam in down... so here I sit...

If you have noticed, I have not said or added anything to any HL2 thread. I kept my mouth shut on the predicitions, the "will it pwn" threads.. I even didn't reply supporting, defending, or attacking HL2.. I wanted to wait until I've played it to voice my opinion. Whats funny is the past how many months leading up to today I knew inside my frazzled brain that I would get errors right off the start, and steam would crash within 12 hours causing a massive amount of people to sit on forums and chat rooms waiting for things to work and patches to be released.

... then today finally gets here ... Were my assumptions and internal predictions correct ?? Hell yes...

now I wait... .... . .. . . . . ... . .

I've had this error with a couple of other games, but since I don't have internet I can't get HL2...well, ever. Damn useless coupon.

Most notably the game that I had it on was True Crime: Streets of LA

Look in the application event log and then put the error number your find into this website:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/eventserrors.mspx

it has something to do with drivers/permissions that really didn't help me fix the problem (I reinstalled and haven't tried again yet). But it is a place to start.

Ok here is my story...

I have the ATI coupon and had registered that CD-key months ago. I also had pre-loaded all HL2 files the day each preload was sent through steam. So, today it was released, and 4 hours after release ( around 5:00 am ) I started unlocking. I finished unlocking and tried to log into the game where I got as far as the opening intro and then this memory error can't be read... so since then I haven't been able to play HL2...

So today I went and purchased the retail copy of halflife 2. I bought another copy because I have 2 computers and I want to play at the same time as my girlfriend, who has finished Farcry, Doom 3 and many other games I don't need to mention. Point is she is a [H]ard gamer and owns SOF2 DM so getting her a copy of HL2 so she doesn't have to take turns with me was my point in getting an extra copy.

ANYWAYS, since she didn't have any halflife game or steam installed on her computer, I decided to create a new steam account for her. So I installed HL2 off the 5 cds and logged into steam. I then chose to create an account and since the servers were down while I was trying, I decided to try later. I then logged on MY steam account on her computer with the retail version installed. I clicked to play HL2 and it had to downloaded for about 5 mins, but then loaded the game. Viola!! I got past the intro and it was loading the main screen. So the games seems to work on this computer with no error like on mine.

I then went to my computer ( the one that has this mem error ), and tried to create her account. Success, and her account was created. I then clicked to register CD key I own and entered the retail CD key. It loaded and said it couldn't complete, but I can play anyways.

So, now Im logged into HER steam account and I clicked HL2. It downloaded for 15 seconds and started loading the game.

Wouldnt you know it, Im now sitting at the main menu screen with no, "memory cant be read" error in sight.

Now if I log out of her steam account and back into mine to play HL2 will it give me the same error or is it now fixed somehow.... All I can say is wtf...

:confused:

Anyways, I get to play HL2 in a few minutes :)
Sorry to all who still cant get it working... :(

Cheers!!

This fix worked for me even though I received a different error.
Only took about 20 minuts to download new file.

For people that are running into the bug on startup that looks like:

"Map Version is 0, expecting 19"

Try this to see if it works:

1. Go into your \Steam\SteamApps folder.
2. Rename the file called sourcemodels.gcf to something else.
3. Relaunch the game.

This is going to require a redownload of this file, but if you want to get playing tonight it's probably the best path. There are a couple of people now that were in this situation that were fixed this way.

As soon as we possible we'll release a fix for this that will not require this workaround.

Please let me know if this does or does not fix this specific problem for you. Just shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]. If this does fix it, it would be useful to get copies of a couple of the renamed (bad) cache files.

jaspur said:
This fix worked for me even though I received a different error.
Only took about 20 minuts to download new file.
I tried that to see if it would fix this Memory error, it didn't.

I only get this memory error when I use the steam account that has the steam bought tied to it... I also have a retail copy of HL2 that is tied to a different steam account and when I log into that account on this computer I don't get that memory error.... I just get a hl2.exe crash when loading the first level, so basically no matter what account or version of HL2 I use, it just isn't going to work on this computer... :(

anyone hear of any fixes or workarounds for this problem yet? I sure haven't, just being the "glass is half full " guy...

I've got this once, in one of the levels near the beginning. I just started it back up again and kept on playing. I was actually wondering if it was a RAM problem and was considering running memtest tomorrow, but since you guys are getting it too, maybe its not just me. Any of you AMD guys running that data execution prevention option in Service pack 2? I've got mine turned on and am wondering if that might be it. If it continues, try adding an exclusion. Start>settings>control panel>system>performance>DEP>Add. Or, you could just try turning it off.

gridiron123 said:
I've got this once, in one of the levels near the beginning. I just started it back up again and kept on playing. I was actually wondering if it was a RAM problem and was considering running memtest tomorrow, but since you guys are getting it too, maybe its not just me. Any of you AMD guys running that data execution prevention option in Service pack 2? I've got mine turned on and am wondering if that might be it. If it continues, try adding an exclusion. Start>settings>control panel>system>performance>DEP>Add. Or, you could just try turning it off.

Try that out and let us know please :)

I've heard that deleting the source models gcf, then having it re download it works. I can't confirm that yet, its still downloading.

Filler said:
Try that out and let us know please :)

I've heard that deleting the source models gcf, then having it re download it works. I can't confirm that yet, its still downloading.

Its not happening much for me, only once. I gotta go to bed, but I'd reccomend those of you that are having this problem give it a try and see if it fixes it or atleast decreases how much your getting it. Someone at HLfallout mentioned that it seesm to be a pattern with people having more then 512mb of ram. Does that seem to go along pretty well with you guys?

gridiron123 said:
Its not happening much for me, only once. I gotta go to bed, but I'd reccomend those of you that are having this problem give it a try and see if it fixes it or atleast decreases how much your getting it. Someone at HLfallout mentioned that it seesm to be a pattern with people having more then 512mb of ram. Does that seem to go along pretty well with you guys?

hmmm more than 512mb of ram and amd 64s

i have 1GB corsairXL pros(yes the one w/ the LEDs). and i have a 6800GT, a winchester 3200+ on an MSI K8N Neo2 Plat. board. and i get these errors, it's retarded. i wasn't getting it in CS:S(...) only in HL2. <sigh> i tried reinstalling it and still no go. i guess i don't get to play it after all...oh well i need to go study anyways..

i have 1024 mb of pc3200 (mid-range corsair) and ive gotten the message twice, both when i turned up the resolution up beyond acceptable levels.

Other than that, the game runs perfectly...

nihil2501 said:
can we make this a sticky or something?

i found something that just might be relevant...
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cg...3RleHQ9TWVtb3J5IGNvdWxkIG5vdCBiZSByZWFk&p_li=

yeah i read that but dont miss "NOTE: This information is for HL1 only, not HL2 CS:Source BETA" right at the top...

i went and found someone who was playing and got the save game closest to where i was and the game has worked flawlessly after that for about 4 hours now. hey i know that it doesnt really solve the problem, but it does get you playing hl2 again.

Happened to me when I was overclocked. Went back to stock speeds (processor) and all was well.

I found that I had to return my FSB back to normal to eliminate problems such as sound stuttering, and even the dreaded memory could not be read message. Once I did that, all was right with the world.

I get the error consistently when loading the level after "We Don't go to Ravenholm". Everything I have is stock except my CPU but it's kind of a special case considering I have a mobile. I think it's probably a problem with one of the downloaded files, I'll try deleting sourcemodels.gcf first and see if this works.

Cant even load the first level without this error-
A64 3200+, 1GB DDR400, QuatroFX700- nothing overclocking- collectors edition-

reinstalling from steam right now- if this doesnt get fixed very soon im going to get FUCKING PISSED.

I get the memory reference error only in HL2, but CS:S seems to be just fine.

Specs:

A64 3000+
1GB PC3200
Leadtek Geforce 6800 (unlocked to 16 pipes, 6 units with rivatuner)

nothing is overlocked :)

I don't think having more than 512mb of RAM has anything to do with it. I got the error with both my sticks of RAM and then the same error for each one by itself. I'm running memtest now to check the RAM out again..but last i checked @6 hours there were no errors...so maybe it's not memory..

So it's certainly not because we have defective RAM. I'm pretty sure everybody here can run other games just fine.

I'm able to run Doom3 with all the settings turned up, and never had a crash or the stuttering. So I'm pretty sure it isn't the fault of all our collective hardware setups.

still have this problem.. so I decided to remove all nvidia chipset and drivers from my board, then re-install them with the newest ones from nvidia. Everything worked fine except now my audio drivers won't install. I get the fuckin evil dreaded, retarded, piece of shit M$ error, " The data is invalid " .

If any of you know this error, it usually means format C: .. sometimes you can regedit and fix the permissions, or download a useless little program from windows support, but in my case neither works. Using the repair windows off the CD works too, but if Im going that far, I might as well just nuke everything... Sooo in about half an hour it looks like I will be nuking my computer completely and starting from scratch.

So in about... say... 3 hours from now ( if things go well .. ) I'll let you all know if formatting my harddrive fixed this error. :p

all this fuckin shit to even see the first level in Half-Life 2.... the shit I go through for my PC games...

Abit NF7-S 2.0, 2500+ @ 3200+ and 2x512MB Corsair XMS here, same problem.

I put everything back to stock to no avail. If it turns out that formatting is the only way to fix this, then so be it, but I'd like to hear that from Valve first.

again, it may suck, but if youre getting the same thing again and again at the same spot, just use someones save game that is right after the spot yours wont load. worked for me and i havent had a problem since....

btw, when it works, hl2 is fucking insanely cool...

I've had an interesting experience with the memory issue...

Here are my specs:

NF7-S rev 2
Mobile Barton 2200+ @ 2.16 GHz
2x512MB OCZ DDR433

At first, my computer would just hang at the Loading screen of HL2.
Then after a bunch of forum reading I put my FSB down to 166 from 216 and it worked!!!...
ONCE... I got a memory reference error when trying to load a saved game and now the same thing is happening again at the loading screen...

I think this could help people figure out what the problem is for everyone but I don't know anything about computers so it doesn't mean anything to me. Someone should figure it out and tell me :D

So previously, I was running 1280x1024, and it would crash whenever Alyx got into the teleporter.

I went down to 1024x768 and it works fine, with all settings on high.

Sigh... I know my system can handle better... It ran smoothly at 1280 until the crash, and Doom3 is fine at 1280 :(

Oh well, at least it runs now

Ok so I start installing the game at 6:30PM, yesterday. I'm a first time Half-Lifer and quite excited.
Really sad to pay that much for a game then can't play it. And you sit through 5 disc of install without nary a sneak peek. lol

After a long time of installing and connecting to steam, it said it would let me play, but because it didn't finish the process with steam which it said it would retry later, but it took like 40 minutes to get to that point of validation.

SO YAY I CAN PLAY NOW!!

Then I start getting this video mode error upon launch.

The instruction at "0x241f8977" referenced memory at "0x010ef5c0". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

I have an always on 1.5MB connection. It was 2AM before I got a steam window saying I was registered/validated or whatever (I was tired and didn't write down the message) at which time it actually may have really unlocked my files! But I didn’t feel like trying to play then! 6:30 PM to 2AM. Nice! For a first time customer steam is pathetic!
I updated my sound & video, drivers, etc...
No worky. I load 640 x 480 in windowed mode to the main menu as if this was Quake 2 software mode video on a 200MHz, and when I go to change it I get the above error.

:mad:

I guess that's where the 2% went in the PC Gamer review.

I don't know what's more frustrating. Trying to figure out what's causing the error, or reading people saying the played it, loved it, even BEAT IT!!

F-THIS!

ASUS A7N8X
AMD 2500+
BFG NVIDIA 6800GT 61.77's and 66.93's.
Audigy 2zs old and new drivers
1GB of memory
All stock.

My system can handle it. I run a clan so I play games all the time. I play both Call of Duty's, Quake III, Quake II,
IL-2, PainKiller, Doom 3, etc...
I play Doom 3 at 1024 x 768 at Ultra Quality and I also do video editing, I've run memtest, etc etc, so I know my memory is fine.

I'm going to try the new Nvidia Beta's which someone said worked for him and should be good for Half Life 2. He has the same video card as me. If that doesn't work I'm going to reinstall once.
If that doesn't work, then I'm going to return it tomorrow and buy a different game. I don't have time for this troubleshooting shit.

Back