HL2: Questions & Problems (Not About Valve "Hack")

v0rtic3s

Limp Gawd
I've had HL2 since it's release, but only just recently reinstalled it, and have run across a couple of issues.

1) Online Play Problems (DM): severe "jerking"/"pausing" while playing; suggested that it could be ZoneAlarm (running latest version) - is this possible?

It's almost like having massive lag spikes, but I'm not. ZA is set to accept Steam and HL2, and I've never had it happen until I reinstalled HL2 which was after I started using ZA, I believe, but can't be sure, really.

Anyone else have/know of problems with online deathmatch and ZA causing this type of issue? Makes it virtually impossible to play at this point.

2) Off-line Mode & Installing on different HDDs: I continually change HDDs - is there a way to somehow copy/paste/replace all or certain files from HL2 folder and overwrite newly installed files w/o having to unlock via Steam again?

It's a major hassle having to reinstall Steam on a new HDD, unlock all the files etc. etc. every time I change HDDs, which is relatively often, just to be able to play off-line.

Since I'd like to be able to install and play off-line for who knows how many years to come on different HDDs, it would be convenient to be able to just overwrite all the files to play off-line, even if that means I cant play online (though I'd like to), w/o having to connect via Steam to unlock everything every time.

I build new systems all the time, so I'm just trying to find a way around the hassle.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Cheers.

1) try with zone alarm disabled, see if it works. It might be a messed up setting somewhere else.

2) Easy, copy your whole steam directory to your new hard drive, then just create a shortcut for steam on your desktop, it won't show up as a program, but it works. (found this out by farting around)

Thanks. I thought that was possible.

However, if I create just a HL2 shortcut on my desktop, with it just play off line since you don't use Steam to play off line anyway?

I've played off line before, as stated, and that's my biggest concern, really.

Cheers.

Zone Alarm is trash, especially the version where you pay for.... uninstall it and guranteed your game will run smooth. Happened to me.

Yep, I'll add my voice concerning zonealarm too. I ran the background application compatibility thing thay have for steam and everything checked out ok except for vsmon.exe in my processes tab. So I uninstalled ZA and switched to comodo firewall and my steam games library runs fine whereas before I had that lagging/stuttering issue too.

Ok, so just so I have this straight:

1) copy Valve folder onto new drive
2) create (copy/past) Steam shortcut onto desktop (or just put in HL2 CD)
3) I should be able to play off line on any HDD because the files are unlocked?

Just want to make sure that's going to work.

What if I name my PC something different on a new HDD?
I'm not seeing Steam being directed to file with my PC's name in .exe extension, but just want to be sure.

And thanks for the info about ZA. I figured that was th problem.

I'll have to get my hands on a good firewall that doesn't interfere so much with game apps.

Yep, I'll add my voice concerning zonealarm too. I ran the background application compatibility thing thay have for steam and everything checked out ok except for vsmon.exe in my processes tab. So I uninstalled ZA and switched to comodo firewall and my steam games library runs fine whereas before I had that lagging/stuttering issue too.

Comodo eh? I'll give that a try.

edit: link for others: http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

My experience with steam is if you get the installer from steampowered.com, install it...but do not run it, then just over write the steam directory with your previous installation from the other hard drive, it will work exactly the same and show up in add/remove as well as your start menu.

Ok, so just so I have this straight:

1) copy Valve folder onto new drive
2) create (copy/past) Steam shortcut onto desktop (or just put in HL2 CD)
3) I should be able to play off line on any HDD because the files are unlocked?

Just want to make sure that's going to work.

What if I name my PC something different on a new HDD?
I'm not seeing Steam being directed to file with my PC's name in .exe extension, but just want to be sure.

And thanks for the info about ZA. I figured that was th problem.

I'll have to get my hands on a good firewall that doesn't interfere so much with game apps.

This hard drive has been in 4 different PC's with 8 different OS installs, and it works fine. As far as a fire wall, screw it, get AVG anti-virus and anti-spyware and youll be ok.

I actually just need to know if I can:

-> copy entire Steam folder (after all files have been unlocked) -> put in Program Files folder of a new HDD -> put in HL2 disc and be able to play off line because the files are already unlocked ?

Can someone tell me if this is possible?

Thanks much.

I actually just need to know if I can:

-> copy entire Steam folder (after all files have been unlocked) -> put in Program Files folder of a new HDD -> put in HL2 disc and be able to play off line because the files are already unlocked ?

Can someone tell me if this is possible?

Thanks much.

Quit asking and try it already dude, it should work, but you might have to start HL2 up through steam.

Couldn't you just right-click the Half-Life 2 icon in the steam games menu and do the backup? Then you could burn it to a DVD and never have to worry about dealing with replacing files, registry, etc. That's what I would do. In that case, you also only have to download the newest patch instead of a) the entire game, and b) all the patches from v1 of the game to whatever the last one was.

Just my $.02

Back