HL2 Problem, I Have No Internet

ubern00b15

Gawd
How am i supposed to play hl2 single player without the internet? i can hook it up at my friends house, but then how do i play it at my house? what about cs:s in lan without the internet?

Once you install it you can run Steam in offline mode. You need internet access for installation.

kick@ss said:
Once you install it you can run Steam in offline mode. You need internet access for installation.
You need internet access for installation? That's stupid...

I think you can borrow a dialup internet access for activating it or get one of the *cough* AOL CD *cough* and use his free internet time ;)

kick@ss said:
You need to make a Steam account.
Ah...is it absolutely necessary to do it on the machine on which HL2 is installed? Still working on getting wireless set up...

this really sux, i am on dialup and steam is taking forever to DL!! ARGH! y did they do this? they couldnt put everyone on 1 DVD!!

HardD99 said:
this really sux, i am on dialup and steam is taking forever to DL!! ARGH! y did they do this? they couldnt put everyone on 1 DVD!!

Anyone know if there's a STEAM installation option that comes with the HL2 CD's? I already have an account, but it sure would make it nice for those buying the CD version to install and set up their own account.

Ax

I think you can download it from a computer with a highspeed connection, do a backup on CD or DVD, carry it to your house to install it. Use the internet connection temporarily to activate it after installing it from the media then you can play it without having a net connection.

Xilikon said:
I think you can download it from a computer with a highspeed connection, do a backup on CD or DVD, carry it to your house to install it. Use the internet connection temporarily to activate it after installing it from the media then you can play it without having a net connection.
Or you can buy the retail version.

I'm at school. I can't look at the minimum specs. :p

I'll say it again: requiring an internet connection to install is stupid.

But let me get this straight...if I buy the retail version, must I have internet access on the computer on which I install HL2, or can I simply create an account on a different computer?

Well I agree kinda silly to require a internet connection but if by this age and time you dont have one with a computer then your stuck in the 80s. The other fact is if you were not so ... hmmm how can I say this.... ignorant you can download a crack off many of the sites on the internet to bypass it. Wake up

Shane said:
Well I agree kinda silly to require a internet connection but if by this age and time you dont have one with a computer then your stuck in the 80s. The other fact is if you were not so ... hmmm how can I say this.... ignorant you can download a crack off many of the sites on the internet to bypass it. Wake up

First off not everyones mommy and daddy buy them internet. I have gone several months with out internet access due to loss of funds/job. Second, not everywhere has high speed internet access, its just not available everywhere. Third if you dont have an internet access then how are going to get a crack ONLINE. If you could go online to download a crack, why not just activate the game. Hmmm how can I say this...WAKE UP

JEEVES

I have an internet connection, just not on my new rig yet. And how am I ignorant for not using an illegal crack?

you have to do it on the computer you will be using, because you have to set steam to remember your password and such so you can make it stay in offline mode.

Is there anything on the HL2 box that says you MUST HAVE INTERNET ACCESS? Like SWG or EQ2? If not, I would say that you could probably return it. If we all return our copies it might send a message to Valve to not be so stupid. After all, your game is already installed....

Yes, internet is right there in the minimum requirments on the box.

And also, you don't have to register it from the computer you're playing it on. Your hl2 ties directly into your steam account, so once you register it, with your steam account you can play it in offline mode on another pc.

[LG]BLaRG said:
Is there anything on the HL2 box that says you MUST HAVE INTERNET ACCESS? Like SWG or EQ2? If not, I would say that you could probably return it. If we all return our copies it might send a message to Valve to not be so stupid. After all, your game is already installed....

Did you not even read this thread? It's specifically stated on the box that it requires an internet connection.

OK......So if i install HL2 and steam on a internet connection, i can take it off the net and play it by myself in offline mode? how do i get into offline mode?

Dark_Eternal said:
Did you not even read this thread? It's specifically stated on the box that it requires an internet connection.
no shit! and you bitch after the fact? read what you buy consumer! ...how typical!!! no sympathy here!

Well I agree that you should read the requirements on the box. But REQUIRING something such as internet access for single player play is CRAP. I know it's a copy protection thing. But to go through the hassel of dealing with Steam and then you still have to type in the CDKey That's asstastic.

Personally I'd be fine with activating it online if I didn't have to enter the damn CD-Key.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Well I agree that you should read the requirements on the box. But REQUIRING something such as internet access for single player play is CRAP. I know it's a copy protection thing. But to go through the hassel of dealing with Steam and then you still have to type in the CDKey That's asstastic.

Personally I'd be fine with activating it online if I didn't have to enter the damn CD-Key.

What does it freaking matter? You have to enter a CD-key either way. What's the difference between entering it during installation, or entering it on Steam? Does it really piss you off that much?

Here's another problem... I'm on a college campus and all my web traffic runs through an HTTP proxy - so Steam can't connect. Is my only option for validation to dial out to a 56K ISP?

I think there is also an option to snail-mail a card in or something like that. By the reactions people are having, I'm starting to think it would be worth taking my computer into the office to get it installed...

My question is:
So if you have to register through steam, I wonder how long the servers will be available to register?
If steam closes up will this mean I won't be able to play it anymore?

Dark_Eternal said:
What does it freaking matter? You have to enter a CD-key either way. What's the difference between entering it during installation, or entering it on Steam? Does it really piss you off that much?

No I am upset about entering one at all. Either activate via Steam or Activate by CD Key. Just one or the other. I don't like going through the 40 minutes of bullshit just to play a single game.

Copy protection is way out of hand when the legit purchaser of a piece of software can't run the program without going through all this BS just to do it.

how do u play in offline mode? yea i can deffinetly see loads of people cmplaining abut this game, cuz there will b noobs dat wont bther reading the part that says "requires internet connectin" and they will b dissapointed, i realy do hope som1 comes out wid a crack for dis bull shit...

btw how do u play offline mode?

jonneymendoza said:
how do u play in offline mode? yea i can deffinetly see loads of people cmplaining abut this game, cuz there will b noobs dat wont bther reading the part that says "requires internet connectin" and they will b dissapointed, i realy do hope som1 comes out wid a crack for dis bull shit...

btw how do u play offline mode?

Is this someone's Half Life 2 CD key? Because it's not English.

You can't play in offline mode without logging in online.

I know it sounds ludicrous, but it's true.

WickedAngel said:

So in 2 years when steam is no more I can't play the game...wonderful.

WickedAngel said:

soo uhhh. even if you were to bring a system to someones house and verify your cd key and what not. every time in the future you would want to play you would HAVE to connect just to log in so you could go Offline?!

WTF!

How about my situation... Starting the 27th of theis month, I'll be on active duty for 18 months in Iraq where we will have tents allowing 30 minutes of surfing, emailing, posting, etc... from dummy terminals... I plan on buying a nice laptop after I get in Iraq and would like to take a retail copy of HL2 with me to play, but I'm pretty sure I will have a hard time getting internet connectivity just for the brief activation period, plus the fact that I would like to play CS:S with a few team members in our off time...

I'll probably wait to get a retail copy until after I get in Iraq, just to see exactly what my situation will be... I have a handful of phone numbers for Valve but if one person can post here and PM me with a phone number from the game box so I can contact them ahead of purchase... Thanks... ^_^

GoCanes said:
How about my situation... Starting the 27th of theis month, I'll be on active duty for 18 months in Iraq ... [EDIT]

Quick off topic, best of wishes to you bro.

GoCanes said:
How about my situation... Starting the 27th of theis month, I'll be on active duty for 18 months in Iraq where we will have tents allowing 30 minutes of surfing, emailing, posting, etc... from dummy terminals... I plan on buying a nice laptop after I get in Iraq and would like to take a retail copy of HL2 with me to play, but I'm pretty sure I will have a hard time getting internet connectivity just for the brief activation period, plus the fact that I would like to play CS:S with a few team members in our off time...

I'll probably wait to get a retail copy until after I get in Iraq, just to see exactly what my situation will be... I have a handful of phone numbers for Valve but if one person can post here and PM me with a phone number from the game box so I can contact them ahead of purchase... Thanks... ^_^

Wont you have enough real life CS? lol

Ideally they should have a method like microsoft, where it is recommended that you use the internet but you can also do it by phone.

You put in your cd key, the installer spits back a 25 digit key, you call microsoft and read the voice recognition computer that key, then it gives you back another 25 digit key. It's a pain in the ass, but it has saved my bacon more than once.

I'm at work and therefore can't get to any games related websites. Does anyone know if I can redeem my free coupon for a retail copy? We live in an area that can't get any form of broadband and dialup is only on one computer in the house (not mine). I will drag my box downstairs in order to activate, but there is no way in hell I am going to download the whole thing.

I did fill out the form already and sent them shipping/handling, waaaaaaaay back when I got my video card, so maybe they will send my a cd around March. Not too long after I sent it in they sent me the valve pack cd. But when it wanted to connect to the internet I "filed" it.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just wanted you to know you're not the only one.

Back