IDversusEGO said:mine did this until I disabled my secondary monitor. could have been a coincedence, but I tried 2 times and it froze. disabled and it worked.
yea the download finishes, like the bar goes all the way across, and the game is ready to play, but in reality its not fully downloaded. way to go steam!Milkman said:Well crap! I could have swore i saw it was done before i tryed to play it... I will have to go back and check on my lunch break.
Also sorry for the multi-post on this. I didn't see that topic.. and searching HL2 showed a million entries.
Ya know.. i really don't like steam...
Here's a possible fix. I found it took ages to load the menu, and the reason is because instead of just being a picture in te background like in CSS, it's a cinematic-type thing (Think similar to the looping movie on Far Cry's title screen). All it shows is a random city scene with people walking around, so I disabled it, and it now loads up the menu much faster.
To disable it:
1. Get into your Cfg folder in your HL2 folder in Steam.
2. There are two files in there: Config.cfg and Valve.RC
3. Open Valve.RC in notepad (Might want to back it up first)
4. The bottom option looks like this:
// Display the Startup level
5. Either delete "startupmenu" or put two slashes in front of it to disable the level. The game should now load. Works with HL:Source too, just do the same thing to the Valve.rc file in your source folder.
lithium726 said:if you are getting a memory error, have you tried checking hte memory? if the game is trying to access a faulty area of the dimm, its gonna BSOD ya, run memtest and see what it returns