HL2.exe crash on exit (vista 64), anyone else?

koopaGG

2[H]4U
It's never really bugged me until I started playing a lot more source games, and now that I'm going between CSS, Insurgency, L4D, and TF2 the error is starting to bug me. The game runs fine but as soon as I exit the game crashes.

It's just getting pretty dang annoying. Anyone else with Vista 64 (or even 32) run into this issue? Have you fixed it, and if you have, how?

There's no fix that I'm aware of, it does it for me on pretty much every source game, you would have thought that valve would have fixed this problem especially considering that Vista x64 is such a popular gaming OS now. Typical Valve IMO.

I had the same problem while in Vista x64 ... I've since switched to XP 32bit.

Said error also used to occur in XP 32bit, but that was a while ago.

I used to have it, but It went away after a while.... I have no idea why.

I get this too on Vista x64 and it bugged me also. But I can't seem to recall if it still does it for me....maybe I got used to it or it went away by itself like xdivenx.

I had it for a while and then it went away. Im pretty sure I found the answer on google.

Edit: Im pretty sure I just reinstalled and it worked fine.

Yeah it comes and goes for just about everyone. Someone posted a thing awhile back telling how you can hide the error but I forgot how.

It's 64 bit specific from what I understand.

It's weird, I rarely play Valve games now, but last time I was playing L4D without error was a couple of weeks back, then quit, and then played it again a couple of days back and it errored when I quit. So it's quite a mystery.

There's a huge thread about it on the Valve forums. Seems Valve tend to leave big problems and not fix them for some weird reason.

I had these same issues on Vista 64 more than 6 months ago on the HL2 Series, it's amazing Valve hasn't fixed it yet.

I always get this with pretty much any Source game I play. It becomes routine for me to just close that popup, lol.

wow it still does this? I dont play anything on steam anymore thank god. Altho I wouldnt mind left for dead.

I get the same problem, but its not just with source games, its with all the games i bought from steam too, like stalker SoC and CS and bioshock. They really need to make a fix with so many people using Vista x64!

I used to get it all the time in Vista 32. Either it went away, or maybe I just got used to it. Not a very big deal.

I still have it happen sometimes but mostly only on TF2. L4D and CS:S don't seem to have that issue. Never happened to me in XP.

Also, it only happens when I exit the game so I guess I can live with it!

This used to happen to me. I don't get why people care or consider it an issue. Big deal, you have to hit ok on a box. I don't remember it not writing my settings to disk before it crashed.

The crashes actually happened to me more frequently on vixta x86 than on vista x64.
I think I have only had those crashes maybe 3-4 times since I instaleld x64 bit, and it seems like I have not had them since I moved my steam folder from one HDD to another.

Happens to me more often than not. What's more annoying is TF2 usually opens/closes the window repeatedly when the game first comes on, and the way of getting it to actually work always changes haha.

i used to get this after some steam updates, i then removed steam complete from my rig and all games and reinstalled everything, have never had it happen since, that was,..... mid last year sometime.

the Tf2 open and close, minmizing thing happens to me ALL the dam time now it seems! so annoying,

for me i just hit ctrl+alt+del and then click the game and it opens fine, i am sure it has to do with other programs being open as it doesnt do it on my HTPC system!

It's benign but can be annoying. Though it only happens to me playing TF2. HL2 and the episodes close out fine. L4D exits clean as well.

Back