HL2 Episode 3 not available till 2010

LOL, Valve really doesn't disappoint, when it comes to deliver a promise and not keeping it :)

I had called end of 2009, but they are truly pushing beyond the limits with 2010. Valve's definition of episodic content is really retarded...if the past episodes weren't proof enough that is.

Damn. If true that is a monster wait.

I don't think you can really call it episodic gaming anymore!

After releasing the Orange Box and seeing how much of a hit that was... shouldn't really be surprising that they're pushing back the date for the next episode. Hard to imagine how they're going to surpass the awesomeness of the orange box, but they'll figure something out.

but of course

its going to feature at the start the most epic scripted sequence ever made

Eli's Funeral, i hope they drag that out a good 20 mins, + helicopter nfi how they'll incorporate that

meh... not even that interested anymore, too damn serious and long between chunks.

Just hurry up with Portal2 dammit!

but of course

its going to feature at the start the most epic scripted sequence ever made

Eli's Funeral, i hope they drag that out a good 20 mins, + helicopter nfi how they'll incorporate that

thanks for the spoiler

By then HL2 is old news..

HL2 itself was Bleh and the episodes were even worse. They need to make a game that stands out again like Half Life 1 when it came out. HL2 should have been called "the adventures of gravity gun man"

By then HL2 is old news..

HL2 itself was Bleh and the episodes were even worse. They need to make a game that stands out again like Half Life 1 when it came out. HL2 should have been called "the adventures of gravity gun man"

LOL, more or less the same thing I think. HL1 was a masterpiece, but HL2 was just a glorified tech demo, especially physics, wrapped around the same character as HL1.

6 years to add 5-6 hours of gemeplay, to an already aging engine :)

Who cares about the engine? It's all about the art and craftsmanship, and as such TF2 and Episode 2 were two of the most visually striking and distinct games last year.

Half Life 2 took 6 years and was a long game, at least 12 hours gameplay.
If we assume that Episodes 1-3 make up Half Life 3, we already have about 12 hours worth from Episodes 1 & 2 (if you're not a pussy that plays on easy mode)

what craftsmanship? not distinct at all.

Half life 1 was distinct and had craftsmanship. HL2 has none of that. EP2 was a complete load of crap except for the ending battle vs the striders. ooo lets make them fight endless waves of antlions for the first 30 minutes of the game. oh JOY. Then lets make them go through an annoyingly long vehicle sequence just like we did in the core game (twice!)

yea... craftsmanship. TF2 and Portal = craftsmanship. HL2 = a name on box that sells.

and, this engine has seen better days. Unless they overhaul it, it won't hold up to 2010.

EDIT

Someone said it would take years to make HL3. I suspect, other than money reason, that they wanted episodes because they are too afraid to try and make anything else that doesn't say half life on the box.

Not that sequals are bad if they are done well.

off note.

Monolith needs to start making FPS games that are not FEAR again, because they were also inovative and made the most memorable and not to the norm FPS games. (shogo, NOLF, Tron 2.0, Blood)

and, this engine has seen better days. Unless they overhaul it, it won't hold up to 2010.

If Valve did that they would fall into the Duke Nukem Forever cycle. Their games take so long that they either release an incomplete game with a semi current engine. Or they keep overhauling engine indefinitely.

If Valve did that they would fall into the Duke Nukem Forever cycle. Their games take so long that they either release an incomplete game with a semi current engine. Or they keep overhauling engine indefinitely.

I think DNF is a different story because those idiots didn't make an engine. they just kept changing the engine and changing it to something they couldnt just port over to. Valve at least has an engine that I suspect is fairly robust enough that it can be overhauled pretty well without a 100% rewrite.

This game probably proves episodic gaming as dead except on behalf of MMO games i believe. HL series was already pushing the envelopes with how long episode 2 took. None the less I'm sure the game will be good, it just would have been epic if all the episodes were actually just one game.

um

Damn. That is so far away they might as well not do it. Just make another game.

If we assume that Episodes 1-3 make up Half Life 3, we already have about 12 hours worth from Episodes 1 & 2 (if you're not a pussy that plays on easy mode)

even if we assume that someone plays on "super duper ultra 133t hardc0rez" like i reckon you do :rolleyes: the game doesn´t THAT long, so freaking bad

They already have a game engine, and I believe they said EP3 wouldn't be DX10 which means they aren't doing anything to the engine, so how the fuck does it take 3 years to make 5 hours of game content? GSC made a new game in 18 months, updated the game engine, made some new maps and kept the bugs with a quarter of the people on staff. The aforementioned game isn't as polished as any HL2 game, but they have already worked the bugs out of the game engine, producing EP3 should be very streamlined at this point.

I'm quite sure that such a delay will allow a much longer game. You're just spreading BS since you're anti-Valve.

Anti-Valve or simply not a Valve fanboy ? There's a difference you know...

When something doesn't sound right, then I put it in question. Valve and promises, are things that really don't work together. Valve and Episodic Content = Retarded.

Who cares about the engine? It's all about the art and craftsmanship, and as such TF2 and Episode 2 were two of the most visually striking and distinct games last year.

Half Life 2 took 6 years and was a long game, at least 12 hours gameplay.

Hmmm...no. It took me 3-4 hours to finish Episode 1 (which is the only Episode I own). Episode 2 I played at a friend's, and it took me no longer than 5-6 hours total. And I do like to explore what is there to explore, though Half Life's world is very limited, since we are set in a specific path, with no way out...

And Episode 2 has nothing of "visually striking". Episode 1 was quite a bit different visually, than plain old HL2, but Episode 2 had almost nothing over Episode 1, in terms of visuals. TF2 only wins in character designs/models and that's it.

Well I've always enjoyed Half-Life 2 and Episodes 1 & 2. While I am dissappointed they'll wait that long to release something new I think that it will be great when released.

You have to remember to convert 2010 into Valve time. It will probably be 2011 before we see this game, or extremely late 2010. Which sucks. :(

Hopefully they're pushing back the release because they're working on Portal 2. Hopefully.

Valve's games have been uniformly excellent, but I'm going to be pissed if either of the following happens:

1. It gets delayed even past 2010, which, knowing Valve, is extremely probable.
2. It's shorter than 6 hours.

Valve has been working on content for TF2 & the whole entire Left 4 Dead game. I can understand that they'd hold back Episode 3 if they want the best quality assurance with what they are focusing on now. Once Left 4 Dead & any need patches for it are mostly out of the way, Episode 3 might come out sooner than we expect. Valve is only giving an estimate release since they have always gone by the mantra, "It's done when it's done". I'm ticked off that its taking forever but it won't change the situation & Valve is known for holding off with every game...

For the record, I'm not a Valve fanboy. I just enjoy their games (when they're completed).

Ehh either way when it comes out Ill play it. While it might not be the most groundbreaking graphics at that time or run DX10. Its still HL and the story is why I like playing it. Ive played both HL and HL2 plus both the episodes at least twice and enjoy it everytime. When its here im sure ill play it and enjoy it. Until then why worry or argue about it?

And Episode 2 has nothing of "visually striking". Episode 1 was quite a bit different visually, than plain old HL2, but Episode 2 had almost nothing over Episode 1, in terms of visuals. TF2 only wins in character designs/models and that's it.

I may have to replay it, but I was extremely dissapointed with the Ep1 visuals. I thought Ep 2 was better. :confused:

i expect ep3 will be packaged with some other stuff. portal2 or whatever. all for the low price of $45

I was under the impressions that the episodes did not equal 'Half-Life 3'. So, if they're still making Half-Life 3 to follow on from episode three, we'll either see it in a decade, or they're hoping nobody remembers them saying that and are just going to call this the end.

I hope so, for the sake of their dignity.

well lets see what they are working on...

portal2
left4dead
HL2:E3
Steam
team fortress2(updates)

im sure they are also working on source2 for newer games.

Valve probably spent more time on the Source engine than the did on Half Life 2.

Fortunately, the Source engine is still holding up against the other engines. HL2 Episode 2 wasn't the best looking game out there, but it wasn't bad either. IMO it's still the closest thing to photorealism. A lot of other engines look better, but they don't look like they're trying to mimic reality.

Episodic gaming also gives them some major gameplay advantages. They can try new things, and get more feedback from their audience to find out what works and what doesn't. The HL series is my all-time favourite, so I'll never run out of patience waiting for another title. I mean come on, we all waited for StarCraft II didn't we?

You guys can't wait 2 years for a game? That's quite sad.

Its not a new game, its an episode. And technically we're still waiting for the complete story on HL2 which was released what 3 years ago? So its more like we have been waiting 5 years for a completed game.;)

Back