HL2 ending (spoilers obviously)

donahue

Gawd
I think the ending was one of the best endings I have ever seen in a video game. I expected to have to run and escape the Citadel like most other games, but nope. It exploded. When it did, I thought I'd be blown up and magically survive (like other video game heroes). Nope. I was whisked away through the concept of time (coincidence that I am reading Slaughterhouse 5 for school right now). Great ending.

donahue said:
I think the ending was one of the best endings I have ever seen in a video game. I expected to have to run and escape the Citadel like most other games, but nope. It exploded. When it did, I thought I'd be blown up and magically survive (like other video game heroes). Nope. I was whisked away through the concept of time (coincidence that I am reading Slaughterhouse 5 for school right now). Great ending.
I thought the ending sucked. No resolution, lots of things left open from the story.

meh, i'm not a big fan of it, everything up to the ending was a blast, but it just was too fast and no challenge at all (the ending)

I don't quite know what happened, or what the plot was because I played it in small segments, and never played the original HL. What I take from the plot is that this old guy in blue sends Gordon all over, in time and in location, and Gordon must lead these rebellions. I think it's great because the developers aren't bogged down by a plot, they are completely open to use new concepts and ideas. That's what I see, but I have no background in the HL series.

donahue said:
I don't quite know what happened, or what the plot was because I played it in small segments, and never played the original HL. What I take from the plot is that this old guy in blue sends Gordon all over, in time and in location, and Gordon must lead these rebellions. I think it's great because the developers aren't bogged down by a plot, they are completely open to use new concepts and ideas. That's what I see, but I have no background in the HL series.
If they developed a solid plot they could build on that and have numerous games with great plots as opposed to numerous games with crappy plots.

We really don't know the specifics of what Gordon does, other than he seems to be going to work for the highest bidder.

There was a lot of potential for the story that they never developed.

the mods that come out of this will be spectacular though! i'm sure Valve will make their money back by marketing the Source Engine as much as possible :D

I still give kudos to them for such an awesome/beautiful game! It took a lot of work for them to make it and it definetly is great!

Might be the best game I have ever played. The only thing it needed was more weapons, not to say the ones they had were some of the most unique and innovative weapons ever tho. Needed a normal assault rifle/sniper rifle I think. I also kinda feel bad for playing it on easy... :D

hahaha, i hear you there, but it was fun! my most used guns (in order) were:

1. Shotgun
2. Grav Gun (omg the end level with this rockssssssssssssssssssssss)
3. Random other stuff (but i loved the .357 magnum!!!)

I liked using the .357 as well; I hope they increase the reserve ammo capacity for it. Right now there just isn't enough.
I didn't really care for the ending. For me there wasn't a feeling of completion. The time you spend with the main characters, makes you want to know what happens to them at the end. In the first HL there wasn't really any supporting character development so being whisked away was fine.
Did anyone else feel like the G-Man’s dialog didn’t make a whole lot of sense, especially at the beginning? The first time through it, I was more interested in visual effects than what was being said. But after listening to him the second, third, … time, I sit there thinking what.

HL2 was definately the gayest ending ever. The mega gravity gun was the worst ever. The faggot white guy was stupid too. Id rather watch my sister learn how to ride a bike than play the ending of HL2. Gabe and his fat ass brother are so fucking stupid, they made HL1 and 2 even gayer than Gabe's grandma which is FUCKING GAY.

HighwayAssassins said:
Id rather watch my sister learn how to ride a bike

aw how sweet, i imagine most people would want to watch a new family member learn their first skills than play a small part of a video game, you are not experiencing anything abnormal dont worry.

kick@ss said:
I thought the ending sucked. No resolution, lots of things left open from the story.

Oh gee I WONDER WHY THEY DID THAT??

I dunno maybe it's because they said many times that there would be a HL3.

TekSomniaK said:

who me links that they said many times there would be a HL3.

but the way they ended the game there could only be a hl3.

I think I've got a good idea what the concept of the next game is going to be...whereas you could manipulate gravity in this one, I figure they're going to figure out some way to manipulate time in the next one. It makes sense, because of the way it took you and Alyx a week to get to Dr. Kleiner's lab...the slow-motion explosion...and how the G-man said, "It will all make sense in due...well, I'm not at liberty to discuss that just yet."

HighwayAssassins said:
HL2 was definately the gayest ending ever. The mega gravity gun was the worst ever. The faggot white guy was stupid too. Id rather watch my sister learn how to ride a bike than play the ending of HL2. Gabe and his fat ass brother are so fucking stupid, they made HL1 and 2 even gayer than Gabe's grandma which is FUCKING GAY.

Can't you find your way back to your bridge?

i didnt really like the ending, but i guess it puts it in place for hl3. but we all know its gonna be more than 2 years for hl3 so why leave us hangin at the ending? there should have been more.

I thought the ending was good, just pissed it came so quickly, but now I get to go back and have fun with the super-gravity gun :D . But I don't understand how Gman keeps popping up out of no where, he's obviously something special. I like the way the story is left open, that way they can pretty much do whatever they want. The story could end up being very involved and have a lot of twists, which would rock, IF they do it right, unlike the matrix, though the first matrix was amazing.

IceWeasel said:
the mods that come out of this will be spectacular though! i'm sure Valve will make their money back by marketing the Source Engine as much as possible :D

I still give kudos to them for such an awesome/beautiful game! It took a lot of work for them to make it and it definetly is great!
'

Doom3 engine is exponentially better than the source engine. Leave the engine making to the pro's at ID and not the amateurs at valve. You can knock doom3 all day long, but it was quite obvious the doom3 engine was WAY above the source engine in gfx. Comparing the source engine to the doom3 engine is like comparing the quake 3 engine to the source engine. They are a generation apart. Maybe they will revise the source engine to actually have dynamic lighting and shadows and such because w/o it, it won't get far.

Now I think the source engine will get some licenses but I don't see it taking much business away from ID.

TekSomniaK said:

You can leave movies open to sequels and still provide at least some answers at the end. The real reason they did it? Not because they wanted to leave it open for a sequel, but because they just didn't put effort into producing a quality story.

CyberCRAP said:
'

Doom3 engine is exponentially better than the source engine. Leave the engine making to the pro's at ID and not the amateurs at valve. You can knock doom3 all day long, but it was quite obvious the doom3 engine was WAY above the source engine in gfx. Comparing the source engine to the doom3 engine is like comparing the quake 3 engine to the source engine. They are a generation apart. Maybe they will revise the source engine to actually have dynamic lighting and shadows and such because w/o it, it won't get far.

Now I think the source engine will get some licenses but I don't see it taking much business away from ID.
Yeah, I don't see very many people licensing the Source engine over the Doom III engine. The Doom III engine lacks quality physics while Source lacks dynamic lighting. The aforementioned sounds A LOT easier to add (thus less development time which leads to lower cost) to an engine. making the Doom III engine more attractive. Also, I'm sure developers who have previously worked with id engines would prefer to work with the Doom III over something completely new, Source.

what the hell happened to the hl2 demos with the HDR effects and shit, I watched one last night, and played it again just now, the first level when you get up on the roof, there's no effects like in the demo, what gives?

The thing Valve did is sacrifice shadow effects for being allowed to render big outdoors with extreme detail. Look at Doom 3 how low polygon the environment is? That is because the shadows put such demands on the system.

It was an intended design choice by Valve and a correct one in my eyes. City 17 is much more beautiful than Doom 3:s environments. Both have it´s places definiatly. Now on my 6800 ULTRA I didn´t see any effects missing from demos at all. Only thing I missed from the demo was that water thingy that speared a soldier?

I was kind of disappointed with Doom 3 graphics and ironically the arguable best part the shadows. Those where better done in Thief 3 in my eyes. In Doom 3 they where always pitch black which made them look a bit unrealistic. So in the end they disturbed me to some extent while helping with the atmosphere too.

There hardly exist any shadows in Half Life 2 because of it´s bright nature but I never missed them at all. And the textures is so much better in HL 2 than in Doom 3.

I have a 6800GT, default settings, I don't get any of the HDR, I don't think.

I did get it definiatly om my 6800 ULTRA. May just be you didn´t notice it?

if the half-life series becomes like the matrix series im going to kill myself.

there should've been some kind of big fight before the end though, instead of just having to blast at some guy trying to escape to another dimension

all in all i think the game was worth the money spent. i just hope half-life 3 ties it all together properly

there were shadows in HL2....unfortunately, I could see them through walls and ceilings at times...I hope they fix this with a patch.

NecessaryEvil said:
there were shadoews in HL2....unfortunately, I could see them through walls and ceilings at times...I hope they fix this with a patch.
yea i noticed that with the striders shadows going through the tunnels too

CyberCRAP said:
'

The source engine kicks the hell out if the D3 engine in how the AI plays. Not to mention the physics enigine in source. Stuff behaves more like real life that D3 can ever hope to get to. Technology wise, Source engine is much, much better that the D3 engine. Graphics arent everything thats important in a game.

Uhhm, the Source and D3 engines have very little to do with the AI.

here is what the Source Engine Spec lists as it's AI capabilities

- I/O system allowing level designers to control AI
- Sophisticated navigation: characters that run, fly, jump, crouch, climb stairs and ladders, and burrow underground
- AI senses things using sight, sound, smell
- AI relationships determine friend/foe status of other entities
- Battle AI allows squads of AI characters to operate together, know when to advance, retreat, lay cover fire, etc.

So lets see, we've got;

1. Code to allow the coders to feed instructions to the characters
2. Code to allow the characters to do the same things that players can do
3. Code to allow the characters to sense things
4. Code to allow the characters to tell if another character is friend or foe
5. Code to allow the characters to basically swarm a player

From what I could tell in D3, the Id AI does exactly the same things.

I feel I got my moneys worth. The puzzles were great, had me stumped a couple times. I went through about 36 cans of Mt. Dew....Usually my average is a 12 pack ;).

But whent he G-Man was talking..I was like..Im amped about beating the game, but WTF are you talking about. Plus it made me feel like an acid trip or something..

All in all worth my money.

doesn't specify how they sense, or what they do when they swarm, it's not very good AI to just keep going forward at a character, if you're firing an SMG at the Combines, they usually look for cover and intelligently advance upon you going from cover-point to cover-point, awesome. D3's AI blew ass.

Dallows said:
doesn't specify how they sense, or what they do when they swarm, it's not very good AI to just keep going forward at a character, if you're firing an SMG at the Combines, they usually look for cover and intelligently advance upon you going from cover-point to cover-point, awesome. D3's AI blew ass.
no offence or anything, but monsters/zombies from hell without brains arnt supposed to be a tactical ops team or anything ;)

Those who think HL 2:s AI is goof haven´t played Far Cry:s. There you have enemies that is hard to trick. HL 2:s AI is much more scripted and easier to fool. Not too intelligent if you ask me though still better than the average fps shooter for sure.

The ending was worse than the intro. I think they concentrated more on physics and gameplay than story. Atleast Doom III had a somewhat decent story from begining to end.

Dallows said:
I have a 6800GT, default settings, I don't get any of the HDR, I don't think.
It's not that noticable like it is in Farcry. Little things from windows and such.

mr tanooki said:
if the half-life series becomes like the matrix series im going to kill myself.

there should've been some kind of big fight before the end though, instead of just having to blast at some guy trying to escape to another dimension

all in all i think the game was worth the money spent. i just hope half-life 3 ties it all together properly
Yeah I was very dissapointed with the "end boss" It wasn't even a challenge. I got it on my first run too. I was expecting some huge boss like Half-Life I :p

oqvist said:
Those who think HL 2:s AI is goof haven´t played Far Cry:s. There you have enemies that is hard to trick. HL 2:s AI is much more scripted and easier to fool. Not too intelligent if you ask me though still better than the average fps shooter for sure.
Yeah no kidding :p Farcrys AI actually try to take cover instead of charging you like Half-Life II :p

Mr Mean said:
. Atleast Doom III had a somewhat decent story from begining to end.

What story in Doom3? IMHO Hl2 had a better story then D3 did. Lets remember what happened with HL..there was 2 (maybe more?) different expansion packs that delt with the OPFOR and Barny in the game that helped flesh out the story a bit more. Only thing I didn't care for was that Combine wasn't really explained that well and how the former monsters in HL where allies at times. That left me scratching my head and saying WTF.

I really enjoyed the game and finished it up this morning. I felt that it was too short, but then again I did spend like 6-8 hours yesterday night playing it and another 2 this moring finishing it. So I guess I got about 15-20 hours worth of playing time out of it.

Overall its a worthy successor to HL and I'm looking forward to the expasion packs that will be forthcoming for it and other games based on the Source Engine.

Comment about the Source Engine Vs the D3 engine. The Source Engine will run well on older hardware, where as the D3 engine makes any thing under a $600 high end video card cry at 1024x768 with all the options on, which is my baseline for running games.

There is a story in Doom III if you were paying attention to the scripted movie events :p Half-Life II didn't have much of a story. Didn't explain anything what happened after the 10 years after Half-Life I. Atleast in Half-Life I expanshion packs filled in the gaps very well. Half-Life II didn't even explain anything about the past. But I did hear alittle about Xen and that's it.

If you know the story to Half-Life II please explain it to me because I wrote a thread about it and this is what I got:

at the end of HL (assuming you played it) you chose to work for the GMan, you are then put in a suspended state for about 10 years, then at the beginning of HL2, you are taken out of the state and you work for the GMan now.

what do you need to know? its not that complicated to understand.

So I work for the G-Man and thats that :)

Back