HL2 delay...again?....hmmm...strange timing

Ricko

Weaksauce
Regardless of what you think about Doom 3....it simply is an astonishing game. Period. It has taken computer graphics down the playing field a LONG.... way. Apparently, according to insider sources, HL2 is using an engine that is NOT as "cutting edge" as Doom 3 or even Far Cry. With that being said and the recent brooha over ATI's performance in Doom 3...HL2 is back to polish and shine in an attempt to distance itself from the HUGE shadow that has been cast by Doom 3. There are some other games on the horizon that will give HL2 a run for it's money...F.E.A.R. that took E3....1st. place and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.....HL2 is trying to time the relaease of the game when ....the coast is clear. Trust me. They know what they have...it It ain't gonna blow your mind. Good...yes...but not worth the delays AND the hype. I'm tired of waiting.

Graphics don't make a game. And for that matter HL2 looks spectacular. Who cares?

I find myself wondering why you are pouring gasoline out all over the forums. I think I'll stay far away from this one from here on out. Serious flamebait goin on here...

I agree, HL2 really isnt that impressive graphicly, but doom 3 got really boring after a while....i hope HL2 is FUN... :rolleyes:

What I stated above is...the truth. I never said that HL2 isn't going to look good. The same guys that say graphics aren't everything ...turn around and say...HL2 is gonna have great game play. In reality...it will probably be a great game. That's not the point. The constant delays reveal a constant..backing up....why? They don't want to be anywhere around Doom 3...they don't want the comparisons. How long does it take to get this thing out? As I said...and it is a known industy fact,,,the HL2 engine IS NOT as advanced as what is already out there.

Ricko said:
What I stated above is...the truth. I never said that HL2 isn't going to look good. The same guys that say graphics aren't everything ...turn around and say...HL2 is gonna have great game play. In reality...it will probably be a great game. That's not the point. The constant delays reveal a constant..backing up....why? They don't want to be anywhere around Doom 3...they don't want the comparisons. How long does it take to get this thing out? As I said...and it is a known industy fact,,,the HL2 engine IS NOT as advanced as what is already out there.

I think i speak for everyone when i say : WTF!

I'm one of the hundred thousand plus people that still play CS. The graphics suck but the gameplay is awesome.

I started pre-loading, I don't know if that means anything, perhaps a steam launch in early september?

Does this mean the HL2 lauch is somehow connected with the fact that astronauts never really landed on the moon and our thoughts are being influenced by government coercion sattelites?

im not a big fps fan mainly becuase small hallway linear gameplay indoor fps make me nauseous

of course i think doom3 looks amazing .

i hope hl2 is able to have some great dx9 outside scenes. thugh.

Ricko said:
Regardless of what you think about Doom 3....it simply is an astonishing game. Period. It has taken computer graphics down the playing field a LONG.... way. Apparently, according to insider sources, HL2 is using an engine that is NOT as "cutting edge" as Doom 3 or even Far Cry. With that being said and the recent brooha over ATI's performance in Doom 3...HL2 is back to polish and shine in an attempt to distance itself from the HUGE shadow that has been cast by Doom 3. There are some other games on the horizon that will give HL2 a run for it's money...F.E.A.R. that took E3....1st. place and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.....HL2 is trying to time the relaease of the game when ....the coast is clear. Trust me. They know what they have...it It ain't gonna blow your mind. Good...yes...but not worth the delays AND the hype. I'm tired of waiting.

Remember Half-Life 1?

The graphics were shit. And it was still an amazing game. I'm not waiting for HL2 for amazing graphics...I think it will flat-out be an amazing game to play. As far as the delay goes, Valve is in deep enough shit already, I don't feel the need to bash them further...

Ricko said:
I quoted your post that doesn't have anything to do with a delay....

you can have breakthrough tech demos like the original aquanox with no content whatsoever, and then you can have real games that dont spend their entire budget maxing out their visuals, and instead focus a little more on content and enjoyability. id much rather be playing the latter

HL2 won't be as beautiflul as DOOM3 But that's not what Valve is trying to do. IMO at least.

All these Beautiful games out right now are crap multiplayer and Valve has had a grip on Multiplayer for years now. I'lll be happy with a couple of steps forward in Graphics over some Gorgeous Game that is a Choppy POS in Multiplayer.

granted doom3 looks amazing but how many servers are there hosting doom3 multi. not that much at all. the thing is hl2 might be graphically not as impressive but i bet a whole lot more people are going to be able to run it. that means a whole lot more sales for hl2 and a lot of servers running the new engine. that for me is a great business strategy. screw bragging rights what it comes down to for the game developers is selling units and i think hl2 is going to sell way more units than doom 3 will.

Ricko said:
How come only noobs ever talk like this?

no one knows if its worth the wait yet. and i like the visual style of hl2 better than doom3. doom3 has more features on the engine, looks nice no doubt, but hl2 looks more aesthetically pleasing to me, with their nice textures and cool environments

Just going by all the video clips and teasers of HL2, it looks as if there is a bit more "open area" in HL2. Doom3 is supposed to be about dark, confined spaces I know... but I like the environmental effects of FarCry so I imagine that I'll end up liking that about HL2 as well.

I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly or not, but I seem to remember one of the reviews on Doom3 talking about the limited environments being a hardware issue, not an engine issue. The story was that in order to make the game as playable as possible for older generation cards they had to keep the effects in check. The best way to do that was to limit the visible distance. If they wanted to jack up the minimum card specs, they could have had the open spaces that FarCry has... Again, this is all memory from one of the many reviews.

Makes sense to me, it's not like Carmack couldn't program outdoor enviroments if he wanted too.

I agree that HL2 is probably not going to break any new ground as far as graphics....but I'll take immersive gameplay over bling bling for the eyes any day of the week. I hope they're using the extra time to exterminate bugs so it will be playable straight out of the box..

joecartoon22 said:
granted doom3 looks amazing but how many servers are there hosting doom3 multi. not that much at all. the thing is hl2 might be graphically not as impressive but i bet a whole lot more people are going to be able to run it. that means a whole lot more sales for hl2 and a lot of servers running the new engine. that for me is a great business strategy. screw bragging rights what it comes down to for the game developers is selling units and i think hl2 is going to sell way more units than doom 3 will.

Fall off the turnip truck yesterday? Doom3 focus has always been the single player game.

Not that I agree with the original post completely, but he does have a bit of a point to his argument. There is a lot of over-hyping in the industry. Not by the companies, but by the fans. You can find it right here on this thread.

Take Doom 3 for example, a lot of people got disappointed and mad that id didn’t "deliver" an astonishing gameplay. Well, guess what -- id said two years ago that the gameplay and AI will be watered down in order to show off their technology (read PC Gamer, December 2002 for reference). So basically, they delivered EXACTLY what they promised. The people that were disappointed by Doom3 can only blame themselves for expecting more than what was promised. Doom3 has the best FPS presentation and immersion ever. Period. It rocked the world of gaming and moved it a notch forward, like promised.

That being said, I am very anxious to play HL2 already but I am trying to be very careful not to expect too much of it so I don’t end up being disappointed. Reading through some of the posts here, I have a feeling that people are expecting a gameplay that is way above and beyond of what Valve may actually deliver. Seems to me that a lot of people are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

I must be going nuts.

Am I the only one who thinks HL2 looks just as freakin amazing!? I mean have any of you seen the Bink demo footages of this game in action? I mean the world HL2 has looks like a freak real war has broken out on earth! I mean Doom3 engine is good looking but right now...mostly looking at pipes and wires and more pipes.

The only weakness I think I see with HL2 are the people aren't very "fleshed" out (poly people) If ya took the heads of HL2 and mixed it with the bodies of Doom3, you'd get some good looking models :) *doom3 heads are retardedly "vertix headed"*

i find hl2 boring
just like i found hl and cs boring
cs = teh sUcKxOr

i might d/l the game and give it a run
but it's not worth 50+ dollars imho

You know, I thought I read somewhere that Doom3 was supposed to be more than a glorified tech demo. Guess I was wrong.

Reasons why I think HL2 will be good:

My Computer won't take a shit in a fully lit room or, god forbid, an open field.

Longer, more involved gameplay beyond: "Boo'!" "AHHhh!" <Bang!>

AI. Zombies Limping towards you is fine. Demons limping toward you is sad.

Multiplayer. Good in the past, should be good now. Not a big CS fan, but the DM has to be better than the awfulness of D3.

While being a nameless marine might appeal to some, I actually enjoy a little story with my game.

These are just some of the reasons I am waiting for HL2. Has it been delayed? Yes, quite a bit. Am I buying into a whole conspiracy behind the delays? Not really. Do I think that D3 or any other game has anything to do with the wait? No. I thnk it is more likely that they are still quashing bugs and smoothing out gameplay to have a better experience out of the box (or the Steam).

Doom 3 is impressive engine that will be used. I thought the game was pretty good myself but that comes down to personal opinion. My father who beat Medal of Honor 4 times said it got to boring for him to bother finishing. ;) There is no right or wrong. Some love it and some don't.

I still play Zelda 1 on a emulator... still beat Diablo 2 from time to time... and many other old games

That said... I don't think people pay $500 to play a game that a geforce 4200 could... :eek:

As far as HL2... I don't know what valve's problem is. Between the ATI 6 million, the "hack", and all these delays... I really lost interest in HL2

PadanFain said:
As far as HL2... I don't know what valve's problem is. Between the ATI 6 million, the "hack", and all these delays... I really lost interest in HL2

i would have to agree with you here
i was going to consider buying the game...but now it's just not worth it anymore.
i think i spend that 50 dollars i will save and buy stalker or somthing other than halfass 2. :D

maybe worth a d/l. then again probaly not worth the time. :eek:

^eMpTy^ said:
Remember Half-Life 1?

The graphics were shit. And it was still an amazing game. I'm not waiting for HL2 for amazing graphics...I think it will flat-out be an amazing game to play. As far as the delay goes, Valve is in deep enough shit already, I don't feel the need to bash them further...
HL1 graphics were anything but "shit" back in the day. Consider this: Valve built HL on the Quake engine, heavily modified. It looked as good as (if not better than, in places) id's own Quake 2 engine. Don't try to apply current value judgements to old products ... you have to remember what you were comparing to at the time.

well If everyone has lost interest because of waiting *boohoo* I guess your expectations should be lowered and the game probably more fun *Doom3 what what?*
Most overhyped game. Not saying doom3 isn't fun! but it is far from the cat's meow!

matic said:
HL1 graphics were anything but "shit" back in the day. Consider this: Valve built HL on the Quake engine, heavily modified. It looked as good as (if not better than, in places) id's own Quake 2 engine. Don't try to apply current value judgements to old products ... you have to remember what you were comparing to at the time.

that's what I was thinking. I seemed to remember that game was just as good if not better in graphics of other games back in dem days.

On a slightly off-topic note (but not important enough to deserve yet another thread), I didn't realize the preload would be half of the game. According to halflife2.net, the preload is 1.01GB and when Gabe was talking about Steam's bandwidth, he mentioned that the full game was roughly 2GB. I think we might just be closer to seeing this game than we, if not just myself, thought.

gumplunger said:
On a slightly off-topic note (but not important enough to deserve yet another thread), I didn't realize the preload would be half of the game. According to halflife2.net, the preload is 1.01GB and when Gabe was talking about Steam's bandwidth, he mentioned that the full game was roughly 2GB. I think we might just be closer to seeing this game than we, if not just myself, thought.

I think the current estimate is two weeks. I don't put any faith in estimates, and the Pre-load is all of the content that has no reason to change (models, textures, art) so they could still really far out, or close by. I think it's a good marketing tool to drum up more hype and coverage on the game while at the same time relieving some of the stress on Steam on HL2 arrival.

IMO....i think that hl2 will have a great storyline as well as an excellent physics model which should translate into excellent gameplay (and multiplayer gameplay); not to mention that the graphics are getting an upgrade...has anyone even seen any of the screenshots of the characters in hl2 - those eyes look god damn creepy!!!! doom3, far cry, and hl2 (when it finally comes out) will each be awesome in their own respects (which i wont even begin to go into)

See the thing is guys, is that HL2 has better graphics and will have better gameplay than doom3.

Jeez.

Just because id is an amazing developer doesn't mean people aren't willing to go head-to-head with them in the retail market. Remember Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament?

Doom 3 was unbelievable. They took the Doom formula and damn near perfected it.

HL2 will probably also be incredible. While Valve didn't invent the story-driven FPS (that title goes to Looking Glass & Bungie) they did develop the game that's still the gold standard.

I've never quite understood this argument - if you're a fan of these kinds of games, you should be thankful that Far Cry, D3, HL2, and Halo 2 are all coming this year. Be glad we get so many good games that we've been waiting for.

Just be happy we're not waiting for something like Corridor 7 or Operation: Body Count. ;)

Back