HL2 and 56k: Who's done it?

so_cal_forever

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm gonna be buying HL2 this weekend, but one thing's got me worried. For those who've got 56k and bought retail: how long did it take to set up via steam? I understand theres some files and the new patch, so I'm curious how long I'll have to twiddle my thumbs before I can actually play the game.

the installation is normal when it comes to the installation of any game, its when you have to authenticate via steam is when it takes awhile. I have cable and it took around 30 minutes

It worked fine for me. As soon as if gets authenticated or w/e you can play in "offline" mode.

its going to take oyu a while to update once its installed and authenticated

but maybe its possible not to update? :confused:

Don't worry, I have HL2 and 56k. I won't get into the problems I had with Steam because it was the day of the release... It took all freakin day to finally play it. But otherwise, it'll only take like 5-10 minutes of downloading, and like 10-20 more minutes to unlock all your files.

The thing that sucks is Steam always tries to connect to the net, and if you're downloading on 56k, it tries to use the internet even though it's going far too slow. I recommend a firewall that will pop up asking if you want to allow Steam to use the internet. It comes in handy.

It took me an hour and a half the first time. My modem only connects at 28.8. After the game is installed, you can back it up using steam's backup feature. Much faster when you reinstall.

kurt454 said:
It took me an hour and a half the first time. My modem only connects at 28.8. After the game is installed, you can back it up using steam's backup feature. Much faster when you reinstall.

Ouch 28.8? is that your phone line or modem causing that? if it's your modem, you should buy a cheap modem online. I bought an external 56k v92 modem for like $5 that connects MUCH better then my old modem. ALWAYS 50kbp where before it'd be flaky and sometimes connect at 30kbp

Also, I downloaded full games like opposing force of steam... yea I have patiences ;) but I just wanted to know, with the backup feature, do you still have to connect during the install of a backup?

i bought the HL2 silver package through steam and i have 56k... good thing my dad let me take my computer to his office and use his T1 line, or else i'd been downloading for weeks :p ...

i havent seen any problems yet with having dial up though....

Matrox462 said:
but I just wanted to know, with the backup feature, do you still have to connect during the install of a backup?

Yes, you have to connect to update steam itself, but you do not have to wait to unlock the game files again.

On 28.8, with steam already installed it took about two hours from when I inserted the first CD. My poor cable modem was sitting idle in the city home... The wait was worth it. HL2 is great.

I just got it yesterday. It took me about 2.5 hours from when I put the first CD in to actually play. My phone lines are old, and I only connect at 21.6 usually. What a horrible 2.5 hours it was too. It did the update to Steam, and then I thought I would be able to play. Then came the update to HL2 itself. That took way longer.

Thanks for everyones input. Tommorow begins employee appreciation weekend, so I'm snagging my copy tommorow. :)

Back