HL: Source.... what a joke

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Has anyone played this yet, coz I am thourly pissed. I hope DOD isnt like this. I honestly, cannot notice a single difference from the normal HL1. Textrues, models, sounds, its all the same. As far as physcis go, I have found one single thing to take advantage of them if they are there. Dead bodies are still animations. There is no debree of any kind to watch go flying. Its all the same damn thing. I woudlnt have paid for it if I knew this is waht I was getting, boo Valve.

That's all it's supposed to be.

DoD:S will have be completely new (except for basic gameplay), similar to CS:S.

go compare water

and its been stated many times that hl:s is the same tetechures

Obviously you didn't check around enough, we've known this for about a month now. And no, DoD:Source will not be like that. If you happen to find some water, though, you'll notice a difference.

Yeah, II noticed the water, but I was still expecting more. Hopefully someone can to a total converstion and do it right.

Viper87227 said:
Yeah, II noticed the water, but I was still expecting more. Hopefully someone can to a total converstion and do it right.
I'm willing to bet the chances of this already being worked on is 99.99%

Vanskater said:
go compare water

and its been stated many times that hl:s is the same tetechures

It would have been nice for the whole game to be revamped ala CS:S, but I know how unreasonable an expectation that would have been. Can you imagine how much longer we'd have had to wait for HL2?

Not for nothing but WHO CARES about HL1. There are a ton of other games to play including.. get this.. HL2! :rolleyes:

I want HL2. I couldn't give a crap abotu CS:S or HL1. I've already played both those games when they were new.

Viper87227 said:
Has anyone played this yet, coz I am thourly pissed. I hope DOD isnt like this. I honestly, cannot notice a single difference from the normal HL1. Textrues, models, sounds, its all the same. As far as physcis go, I have found one single thing to take advantage of them if they are there. Dead bodies are still animations. There is no debree of any kind to watch go flying. Its all the same damn thing. I woudlnt have paid for it if I knew this is waht I was getting, boo Valve.

I was debating whether to spend the extra $25 and get the Collector's Edition DVD for Half Life:Source...but thanks for making my decision easier for me...I'm definitely going to get the Regular version of Hl2 now :p

why did they even bother releasing Half Life using the Source engine if barely anything changed??....greedy Valve

lets see some pics :D

and anyone know where I can find some benchmarks for hl2, i've been hiding under a rock for quite a while

The only reason there was a HL:Source port at all was as an example to the mod community that it took very little effort to port an HL based game over to Source. IIRC there is already an effort underway by some independent developers to make a real conversion, I would provide links but Google is coming up empty and most of the HL Fan sites are overloaded...

after firing up hl: source for the first time it does strike me that the character models are a little better than they were, the water is much better and the textures are not as blurry at high res as they were(i was playing through the first one to get ready for the big daddy so i noticed these things right off playing @1600x1200). other than that it seems the same, but i didn't expect more since that was what i read it was going to be to begin with... :)

i would actually like to play the original half life if i could... probably the graphics are a joke on the modern capabilities, so i could play it all right on my comp.

that and my shooting skills are so bad it's not even funny. i mean, if i'm pointing a gun at you, you're already in the best possible spot to be... there is no way in a million years that i'm gonna hit you.

Obviously some of you forgot how bad the original half life looked :p. Its not near hl2 quality, but hl1 source is a noticeable improvement over the original. They could have worked on the textures a bit (especially for characters), but its still nicelooking. Just run it at like 1280x960 with 6xAA and max AF :p.

For the love of...

VALVe releases half-life2, quite possibly the pinnacle of the genre so far, and all you can do is bitch because because the basically FREE HL:S is exactly what VALVe said it would be from the very beginning?

Valve have always been clear on what HL:S existed for, that is, it's basically a tech demo/experiment in porting HL resources over to Source, they just pitched it in as a bonus for those who were interested (and I assure you, many are).

I happen to think that the price of any of the HL2 packages represents massive value for money, not just because of what we're getting, but because of what we will get once the mod community gets up a full head of steam (pardon the pun).

Churlish I brand thee.

CHURLISH!

Back