HL(ep)3 voice acting allegedly done

Ryan711

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.oxm.co.uk/36708/valve-voice-actor-working-on-half-life-episode-3/

To be quite honest, if this is on the same old source engine that we've been seeing since 2003, it will be extremely disappointing. I hope that they've decided to wait until the next generation of consoles since they're apparently doing the multiplat thing now, or perhaps do what they did with HL2 and release it on PC and then on next-gen consoles when they release.

To be quite honest, if this is on the same old source engine that we've been seeing since 2003, it will be extremely disappointing. I hope that they've decided to wait until the next generation of consoles since they're apparently doing the multiplat thing now, or perhaps do what they did with HL2 and release it on PC and then on next-gen consoles when they release.

It had better be a vast graphical improvement! Just like I wished Bethesda would have waited with Skyrim.

Isn't the next xbox supposedly coming out late 2012 and some game makers already have the specs? If thats true then maybe they could already be making it for the next xbox and since it hasn't been announced yet it probably won't be out for at least a year.

I'm sure we'll be seeing another 8 years of the source engine.

The Ep2 version of source is "good enough" for me that I wont' totally lose immersion from terrible graphics. At this point, I would be ecstatic just to have them release it, although obviously I would prefer a heavy dose of new and improved graphics.

It's not like an engine is a static thing, it can be and has been updated quite a bit, or do you just need them to call it source 2 to make you feel better?

Honestly I play Valve games for the action and the story. They will do whatever they deem necessary to draw you into the story. A lot of it has to do with making the environment lifelike. All textures looked great in Portal 2. I was constantly stopping to investigate a poster or portrait. I honestly never got to a point in portal 2 where I was like "Man that needs more..". About shit my pants in the moon scene. SPAAAAACE. The soundtrack is so good I listen to it when I go to the gym. Why Valve isn't making movies is beyond me. They have a better feel for cinematics than most of hollywood.

FYI I didnt erven play HL2 and the episodes until maybe late last year and I was locked in the entire time. Same engine is fine by me.

It's not like an engine is a static thing, it can be and has been updated quite a bit, or do you just need them to call it source 2 to make you feel better?

"quite a bit" is subjective. At some point, working on the same code base as 8-9 years ago starts to become counter-productive and would be easier to take the best parts of source and integrate them into a new engine. It still has the same wonky ass physics, they've been using a lot of the same textures since HL2, the guns still feel like crap for the most part, etc.

They've stated they made the engine modular, but even so, they did not have the foresight (and nobody could) to build the engine to handle techniques and effects almost 10 years later.

Watching that first video at E303 blew me away. The physics, the graphics, the facial animations, the environmental interactivity were all amazing, and if they debut the next half life, after over 4 years, with the same old tired crap, it won't go over too well.

Neither of these has much if anything to do with the engine.

True, what I should have said was "they better not be using the same textures, engine, sound effects, etc". We'll be lucky if it comes out in 2012, and that's five years after the last episode, not even whole game. Using the same assets, hell even the same engine after that long, is pathetic.

In the end though, it would still be a HL game so I would still play it, and love it, but in the back of my mind U will always know how much more it could have been if it hadn't targeted a machine with 2005 tech, and then we'll have to wait another decade for the next one.

Really, after re-playing the first 2 chapters of HL2, the only thing I would want updated would be higher-rez textures. You'd be surprised how good a game can look when it has properly made high-rez textures, even if geometric detail is a bit on the low side (though there's no excuse for them not to bump things up in that area either).

I mean, just look at what 343 did with that new Halo:CE Anniversary edition. It's running on the exact same code base as the original Halo (same animation rigs and everything as well). All they did was increase polycount/texture resolution on all of the art assets(though the latter not nearly as much as the former, given the memory limitations of the 360), and the game looks pretty decent.

Back