HL:2 on Windows 10

Blackstone

2[H]4U
I have the Steam version. Any trick to getting this game to load on Windows 10? It just won't start.

Run game in compatibility mode? Run Steam in compatibility mode? Run steam as admin?

Odd; probably a conflict somewhere. Can't imagine there's any new .dlls or anything that's causing the game to not load.

Might be better off dropping Valve a line. Can't imagine this hasn't been reported, given how many titles run off that same exact engine.

I have the Steam version. Any trick to getting this game to load on Windows 10? It just won't start.

Did you do you do a clean install or upgrade of windows 10? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? I had to do this on a few titles to get them to work, when I did an upgrade from 7 to 10.

Step 1 is wait until Windows 10 is actually released.

Do you get a dump file? A crash report? Have you tried reinstalling Steam and the game itself? Do you have the problem with other Source engine games? Have you tried different versions of your video drivers?

Windows 10 hasn't officially been released yet. Play around with it if you want but don't expect everything to run perfectly. IF you're installing a pre-release version of Windows 10 you should consider dual-booting it beside a more stable OS or running it in a VM if you don't care to run performance-intensive applications like a modern videogame.

W10 has been hit or miss for gaming overall. I have no issue running BF4, but BF3 gives me some quarks when running under it. Steam itself gave me no issues when installing and running, but democracy 3 has issues running under it. it is def not a finished product yet...

Treat it like any other steam game troubleshooting and run the DX setup and all other setups (.net, blah blah) from the game folder itself.

Then check event logs for application errors to see where the hiccup is. Lastly, see if you can run other source games, CS:GO, Portal 1/2, left for dead... since they are the same engine, you'll know if it's a game issue or a engine issue.

OK, I can definitely replicate the error.

Testing on a Bootcamped MacBook Pro, running Windows 10 build 10049, an AMD 6670M with drivers 15.200.1012.2. I've tried running as admin and a couple of compatibility modes, back to Win XP SP3. No dice.

The only game I've had up and running so far has been Rocksmith 2014. I'm grabbing other Source games as we speak to test.

I'll keep testing.

EDIT -> Portal works.

EDIT the 2nd -> CS:S broken.

EDIT #3 -> L4D works.

EDIT FOUR -> DOTA2 works.

EDIT FINAL -> Got it, it seems that older source games are failing out when they take control of the screen. Run in windowed mode. To do this right click on Half-Life 2: Episode Two and select Properties, click Set Launch Options... and type -windowed in the box, the click OK. Do this for all three of the games, Half-Life 2, HL2:Ep1 and HL2:Ep2. Once you have the game running you can reset it to full screen. This is tested with HL2 and HL2:ep1 and HL2:ep2 installed.

Last edited:
Anything in the app log?

Sounds like the engine itself is fine with your computer but it's odd that CS:S and Halflife2 both fail out on you. Something similar there... Hmmm...

Edit: Glad to hear you got it working, thanks for posting the fix!!!

Last edited:
I decided to give the HL2 mod a try on win10 and I managed to get it to work
When it was starting if I touched anything it would crash while loading
If I waiting until all the intro stuff played it was fine and wouldn't crash.

the win10 nvidia drivers are awful. OP if you are using that system there for win10. i can tell you for certain those drivers are the cause of most if not all your problems. their are utter trash, not even sure how they got put out anywhere but their internal testing team.

Anyways...could go on a tangent about but suffice to say install the latest win8.1 driver. it will work just fine and probably save you a lot of headache as it has me.

The issue is with the 8.1 driver. Been using the 8.1 driver from the get go. Actually got a performance boost going from 7 to 10 in Battlefield 4. Windowed mode was the solution for HL2.

Back