Hitman Online Saves Issue May Be Here To Stay

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
So, the new Hitman requires you to be online, or any saves made during your session will cease to work. Do you think IO’s explanation for this is adequate?

"When we announced Hitman, we explained to fans and to gamers everywhere how we are creating a live game," an IO Interactive spokesperson has now told Eurogamer. "This is a constantly evolving, living world of assassination, that will grow alongside the community with frequent content updates in between the launch of each location. This live content includes new contracts, escalation contracts, elusive targets, and even additional challenges. "It is possible to enjoy the locations offline, but in order to ensure player-progress of the live content is correct and up to date, the save states for online and offline are kept separate."

Does the game have MP?
It has these weekly escalation challenges (and some elusive contracts thingy coming) they've been adding; I assume they don't want to pay consoles for weekly updates, so they're doing the online only thing.

In the quoted part of the post, they said that they will be keeping online and offline seperate. As long as I can have offline play and saves, I care not. What worries me is that they said large portions of the game are only available online, and that would bother me. I'm not concerned with MP or online specific stuff, like the escalations, but if I want to play the main part of the game (which is what I would purchase it for) offline then I want to be able to play it offline.

Fuck to the no. Of course, after Shitman: Abomination, I've skipped this one altogether. This is just another justified reason to do so.

I want to play the main part of the game (which is what I would purchase it for) offline then I want to be able to play it offline.
You can play the main missions offline, just block it in your firewall or whatnot.
Fuck to the no. Of course, after Shitman: Abomination, I've skipped this one altogether.
This one is open-world, and you can turn off all that crap from absolution (mini-map, instinct, guided help).

That all said it's still pretty buggy, and while I haven't had any problems: server disconnects seem to be happening pretty badly for other people

Can't be as bad as server discos in DayZ standalone, I swear every game I have played in DayZ has ended in server disconnect.

My favorite part of this wonderful DRM system isn't just the not being able to sync the saves but the fact that if you get a hiccup mid game you lose your progress. For example, I was about to pull off the double snipe challenge and right when I'm about to kill Diala, bame disconnected message pops up infront of me.

Unplug the ethernet cable or disconnect the wifi. It's not that complicated.

Yeah, okay...that is an unnecessary hassle. If they have a specific offline "mode" then I should be able to access it without disconnecting my computer from internet entirely.

I dunno. It could be BS and some sort of DRM. Or it could be a legit way for them to make a nice game experience.

It is a lot harder for programmers to make offline experiences that meet people's expectations - since people are expecting online experiences now.

I dunno. It could be BS and some sort of DRM. Or it could be a legit way for them to make a nice game experience.

It is a lot harder for programmers to make offline experiences that meet people's expectations - since people are expecting online experiences now.

Bullshit, complete bullshit.

Yeah, okay...that is an unnecessary hassle. If they have a specific offline "mode" then I should be able to access it without disconnecting my computer from internet entirely.

I use my firewall to stop Internet connection, not a hassle.

I actually love this game. I was very disappointed with Absolution, and this game seems to fix a lot of that game's mistakes. However, there should be a way to cache your game and have it update what you did with their servers once you do get back online. I can understand needing to be online for their time sensitive Contracts, but other than that there is no good reason for the always online requirement. Mostly online should be more than enough.

If it is an online persistent world then I got no problem with keeping saves on the servers just like WoW. It's the selfish unreasonable gamers who insist on treating a multiplayer part of the game just like a single player that is the problem. The devs should put their foot down and not just ignore these idiots but tell them to go away.

It's definitely a single player game, possibly this elusive contracts mode that's upcoming may need online access.
The rest would work fine with caching like Shmee said. With the amount of maxed out scores on the leaderboards cheating obviously doesn't matter :)

Back