HITACHI TOURO DESK DX3 USB 3.0 enclosure

Thank you for input. Still don't know how reliable this drive is, i'm talking about the USB 3.0 model.

I use Hitachi drives exclusively and they are running 24/7 without failure for well over 1.5 years. You will also find that the drives are 5900 RPM.

Well, i bought one, when it arrives i will see if its any good. Need the storage space and this was the only sane option with these hdd prices.

The drive arrived today, a quick test with crystal disk mark 3,
8AWTL.png

Now to burn the drive in, and then start using it ;]

after a while ...

.... now for some odd part ...

0GM9A.png

Couldn't end the test because it was to many write errors.

Great, even better

KeW4P.png

Last edited:
Fluke perhaps? Hitachi was no slouch when they were still making drives before WD snatched them up.

Drive has definitely bad sectors out of the box, Crystal Mark Reports it's a 7200RPM unit ... damn ... sucks.

WARNING: this is a AFHD (512e) disk !!!

The specifications on this disk NEGLECT to tell you it is an "Advanced Format Hard Disk" (AFHD), also known as a "512e" disk (512 byte emulation), with a PHYSICAL SECTOR size of 4096 ... which means it is incompatible with 95% of the Windows backup utilities, since they all depend on doing a sector-by-sector backup using 512 byte sectors <legacy>.

This disk causes crashes on all versions of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) using Windows Backup, Windows Server 2008 backup (and derivatives like Small Business Server, etc.), Acronis Backup, and other reputable system backup utilities, all of which attempt to access the 512 byte sector ... just to find out the sector is suddenly 8 times bigger on this unique disk drive.

For some reason Hitachi seems to be hiding the fact that this drive uses a sector size that is incompatible with Windows backup utilities; none of the Hitachi spec sheets mention this disk is a "512e" disk that unsuccessfully tries to emulate an industry standard 512-byte-sector disk. Why Hitachi is hiding this CRUCIAL specification from their customers is not clear.

WARNING: this is a AFHD (512e) disk !!!

The specifications on this disk NEGLECT to tell you it is an "Advanced Format Hard Disk" (AFHD), also known as a "512e" disk (512 byte emulation), with a PHYSICAL SECTOR size of 4096 ... which means it is incompatible with 95% of the Windows backup utilities, since they all depend on doing a sector-by-sector backup using 512 byte sectors <legacy>.

This disk causes crashes on all versions of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) using Windows Backup, Windows Server 2008 backup (and derivatives like Small Business Server, etc.), Acronis Backup, and other reputable system backup utilities, all of which attempt to access the 512 byte sector ... just to find out the sector is suddenly 8 times bigger on this unique disk drive.

For some reason Hitachi seems to be hiding the fact that this drive uses a sector size that is incompatible with Windows backup utilities; none of the Hitachi spec sheets mention this disk is a "512e" disk that unsuccessfully tries to emulate an industry standard 512-byte-sector disk. Why Hitachi is hiding this CRUCIAL specification from their customers is not clear.

It is a known problem with Windows backup utilities that use block mode and the VHD format for backup. VHDx coming in win8 will fully support native 4k drives, but until then reference this for more info.

Interesting.

The actual drive (inside the enclosure) is a 2TB 7K3000, which really is a 512-byte sector drive. My guess is that these problems are being caused by the usb3<=>sata bridge in the enclosure, in conjunction with a tool unprepared for that circumstance. You could call Hitachi support; they've probably dealt with this before (especially if that DLGDIAG was included with the Touro external drive).

But, if you like to tinker ... Two suggestions:

Get a correctly-done SMART report (I hesitate to trust this diagnostic to do it); I'd use smartmontools (with -a option and whatever is the right -d option for this enclosure [try "-d usb" as a likely winner]); that will put OP's mind at ease that there are not any actual bad sectors (ie, Realloc_Sectors=0 & Pending_Sectors=0).

Then find a better burn-in tool.

Or, you just might have a totally f'd 7K3000 drive :( In which case, the Realloc_Sector count will be much greater than 0; and I'd be very interested to know what that is (since it likely indicates the number of spare sectors which are initially set aside).

Last edited:
Interesting.

The actual drive (inside the enclosure) is a 2TB 7K3000, which really is a 512-byte sector drive. .

I bought one of those 2 TB 5900 rpm drives last year, BEFORE the floods in Thailand. I have a "middling" system right now with, trust me, 512 B sectors in all my drives. Runs no problem.

Maybe you could put the drive into your system and format it that way. Or else get a different external drive case. I've had good luck with the Rosewill cases (eSATA + USB) that you find on The Egg.

Can someone tell me what should be normal temp of this HDD while in idle state?In last month his temp after 2 hours, without any work is higher then 55 Celsius degrees and rising.If there is some work +65 Celsius and higher..

Can someone tell me what should be normal temp of this HDD while in idle state?In last month his temp after 2 hours, without any work is higher then 55 Celsius degrees and rising.If there is some work +65 Celsius and higher..

That (65c) seems quite hot. Put a fan on it while its running tests I guess.

What does crystaldiskinfo say? Have you done a full format on it?

Sorry but i dont have any fan for testing.Even during summer heat temp of this hdd was lower then temp of internal hard drive,but not anymore.Now internal rive is 20 degree coolder

About full format-its hard to do it when i have 2 tb of files on it.HD tune didnt found any bad sectors at least..

This model is similar to the Seagate Free Agent Goflex 3TB drive. No internal fan and it idles near 60C and normally goes up to 66C in heavy use. Even though both companies see this as beyond their specs, they do nothing about it and won't RMA it for that reason.

But how come for first 4 months of use I didn't experienced this kind of temp?Why was drive so much colder?If this temp was from start then i would expect this is normal.But not after 4 months..

I don't know the answer to your question, but without fan this is to be expected. I just bought a cheap USB3 enclosure and experienced the same problem, I gained 10° by cutting holes into it (don't care for the warranty since it's worth 20&#8364;).

Back