Hitachi Pulls Out of Home PCs

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Reuters, Hitachi has announced plans to stop making personal computers. The company cites poor sales and high development costs as the reason for the move but plans to continue making server-based computers for businesses.

The conglomerate, whose products range from nuclear reactors to washing machines, is pulling out of underperforming businesses to pool resources to fight price falls and mounting development costs. Hitachi ranked eighth in Japan's PC market with only 4.5 percent share, shipping 580,000 units in the year ended March.

"Have I ever seen a Hitachi computer?", mdameron asks himself while sipping a hot cup of coffee.

I never knew Hitachi made computers. Must be an Asian market.

They make great harddrives though.

Sony should follow suit and admit that their Viao sucks lol

This is the first time I heard about them making full computer systems as well. When I was in Hong Kong I did see some nice Benq notebooks though, which was a little surprising.

Their reasons for moving out of the personal computer realm sounds a lot like IBM's reasons for selling their consumer PC division as well to focus on their enterprise solutions.

Enterprise systems makes a ton more than any desktop system. Desktop system is constantly plauged by ID10T and PICNIC errors and support is expensive... not to mention profit margins are little.

Last time I worked on a Hitachi computer was about 4 years ago. Proprietary piece of junk IMO.

I think articles like this are funny. When a company says they are going to get out of some market that nobody ever knew they were in. That there could be their problem, poor marketing.

Where can I buy a nuclear reactor and how much will it cost me?

Remember those IBM Deathstars (Deskstar). I had a load of them that failed
Then hitachi bought them ?
Now this

It is also looking to sell a stake in its loss-making hard disk drive arm to a strategic investor, sources have told Reuters.

I would never trust that line of HDD's ever again!

Twice we had a deathstar at work have the heads crash and scrap every platter down to nothing more than a clear disk with the metalic covering being a pile of powder at the bottom of the drive.

The sound of a dieing deskstar is a sound that most IT people can probably recognize from accross a room.

Which then begs the observation "Hitachi made desktop computers???" lol.

and seriously, there hard drive arm is losing money?

I mean, everyone got right back on their nuts after they bought IBM, suddenly acting like the "Hitachi" HD's were not IBM HD's, even here they seem to get a wholehearted reccomencdation as the fastest mainstream HD's.

I still wasnt falling for it though, since i got burned once and that was enough, even if it was before Hitachi boguht them, it's notl ike i had a 75.... but apparently even having a 60series was enough eventually.

I bought 4 and lost em all (one at a LAN, no games for me then). My mate's is still going on his old rig but he had a big assed fan on it since he bought it. I agree, I doubt very much if Hitachi changed much of the spec of the Deathstars beside the original fault, but the damage was done (quite literally)

Which then begs the observation "Hitachi made desktop computers???" lol.

and seriously, there hard drive arm is losing money?

I mean, everyone got right back on their nuts after they bought IBM, suddenly acting like the "Hitachi" HD's were not IBM HD's, even here they seem to get a wholehearted reccomencdation as the fastest mainstream HD's.

I still wasnt falling for it though, since i got burned once and that was enough, even if it was before Hitachi boguht them, it's notl ike i had a 75.... but apparently even having a 60series was enough eventually.

I bought 4 and lost em all (one at a LAN, no games for me then). My mate's is still going on his old rig but he had a big assed fan on it since he bought it. I agree, I doubt very much if Hitachi changed much of the spec of the Deathstars beside the original fault, but the damage was done (quite literally)

Yeah well they seemed to a do a pretty good job of covering it up because even this site seemed to act like dethstars were a thing of the past and hitachi drives were the performance kings, i insisted on not caring of course...

Back