Hitachi or Seagate TB drive?

Okay I've been in need of more storage for quite a while. Originally I was going to build another array, but due to indecision I think I am just going to pick up a TB drive to hold me over.

Which drive would you recommend?

- Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 ($278.99 CAD @ NCIX)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ($259.98 CAD @ NCIX)
- Other?

Typically I like Seagate drives...they've been good to be so far. WD has pissed me off in the no-to-distant past. And Hitachi, I don't have much experience with.

What are your thoughts?

The Seagate. But... if you have the space in your case you can probably pick up a pair of 500GB drives (or even a pair of 750GB drives) for less than the single 1TB.

The Seagate. But... if you have the space in your case you can probably pick up a pair of 500GB drives (or even a pair of 750GB drives) for less than the single 1TB.

I know, I know.....but I think the plan will be to migrate to a RAID array of a few drives later, so I don't wanna start at 500s

StorageReview.com prefer the Deskstar 7K1000 to the Barracuda ES.2, which is the enterprise version of the 7200.11, for single-user loads:
http://www.storagereview.com/1000.sr?page=0,8

However, it's not really fair to criticise a server drive for not working well for single-user loads. Pity they haven't reviewed the 7200.11 itself.

reviews i've seen of the 7200.11 elsewhere are the same old seagate story, fast STR and average real world results.

OP - i don't know why you dislike WD their RE2 1TB GP drives are great for media servers and alot cheaper than comparable 1TB drives, if it's really for storage speed shouldn't be your priority.

My dislike for WD aside (I wont get into the reason, but it's related to their support policies), the RE2 does not seem to be available from any of my typical Canadian sources... So I suppose it's not an option.

My dislike for WD aside (I wont get into the reason, but it's related to their support policies), the RE2 does not seem to be available from any of my typical Canadian sources... So I suppose it's not an option.

I don't like them because every HDD I've ever had fail has been a WD... and I'm up to like, 6 now. All Seagates for me from here on out.

I don't like them because every HDD I've ever had fail has been a WD... and I'm up to like, 6 now. All Seagates for me from here on out.

A good friend of mine had five 500GB drives all die at once because by plugging them into a RAID card (I don't remember what brand it was, but it was one of the big two (not some POS card)) the firmware was automatically modified in some way that made the drives useless. So the drive was fine, all it would need is new firmware flashed, but do you think WD would do anything? No. These drives were less than a week old, and WD basically just said "sorry, your SOL". Being new drives, my friend simply returned them to NCIX (free shipping (!)) and replaced them with the slightly more expensive Seagate drives.

I've never had a problem with Seagate, so they are currently my favorite.

I have 4 hitachi terabyte, with a 5th on the way. I haven't had any problems with them. Very fast drives.

I have 4 Seagate ES.2's which as said a bit ago, are the enterprise version of the 7200.11. They've been great so far.

I love Seagate, but I have to say, that I have really liked both of the Hitachi 1TB drives that I have had, I would not be scared of using them in a large raid array in the future... To the OP, have you considered the Samsung offerings?? The F1 is a great drive, good price and very low on power......

The Samsung looks like a good drive, but it's about $280 in Canada and doesn't come with a 5 year warranty like the Seagate. I think for me, the Seagate looks like the best option.

Thanks for all the input.

Back