Hitachi Deskstar 250gig $50 AR at bestbuy

jpmkm

That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...
I was up at best buy today to get the 160 gig WD for $40AR and I found the Hitachi Deskstar 250gig(8mb cache, 3 year warranty) for $50 after two $40 MIRs. Total came to about $140 with tax. 90 more gigs for $10 more isn't that bad of a deal if you ask me. I didn't see it in the ad and I couldn't find the drive on their website, so I don't know if this is a closeout deal or anything.

I didn't look at the shelf tag closely so I can't confirm or deny if this is a clearance deal or not. It did ring up $129.99 at the register, and it printed two rebate forms. The model number for the drive is H3250B72P(at least that's what the BB receipt says) and the upc on the box is 2968600017. Has anyone been to the store yet to confirm this?

I hope that Hitachi has resolved its deathstar issues from the past when IBM was producing them. A huge batch of drives failed, and then even after Hitachi took over they produced another two models im told which also had severe physical failures. This was a year or maybe two ago now, but they have a terrible track record as best i know..

Ratha

Ratha said:
I hope that Hitachi has resolved its deathstar issues from the past when IBM was producing them...

Wow.

I hate the fact that every time some one mentions a Hitachi drive they bring up something that happened 5 years ago to a totally different company. Wake up people. Hitachi drives have been rock solid. And so were the old IBM harddrives except for two product lines.
Unless this Hitachi drive has an IBM sticker on it and says 75GXP on it some where give it a rest.

:rolleyes:

Allright- the deal is confirmed for now. I went and picked up a couple at the local BB and they are currently ringing at 129.99 with 2 separate valid rebates. One is from hitachi, the other is from BB. (both $40) The drive is a 250gb pata 8mb cache, 3yr retail box. The regular price is 179.99 and the drive is on clearance . The sale price before rebates is below cost, and that is irregular for BB - even for a clearance item, and especially for an advertised item.

Moose

foofighter06 said:
QFT

For such a technical forum, it's pretty sad that people can't tell the difference between the several years old bad 60GXP and 75GXP designs sold only under the IBM name, and a new 7k250 design with no reported reliability problems in almost 2 years since it's been out.

Had someone pick up the last 2 from the BestBuy in Philly. 129 with (2) 40 dollar rebates.

There was also a 200 gig that came to $40 after the 2 rebates.

There *might* be 4 left in northern new jersey. I watched the guy as he stock checked. Paramus and Manalapan stores *might* have 2 each.

I'm waking up early and hitting all of the local BB's here. Too focking cool if I can get to 1TB and then sell off all 5 of my 120GB WD's

pxc said:
QFT

For such a technical forum, it's pretty sad that people can't tell the difference between the several years old bad 60GXP and 75GXP designs sold only under the IBM name, and a new 7k250 design with no reported reliability problems in almost 2 years since it's been out.

QFT²

I had one GXP start doing the click-o-death on me, and was able to get all of my data off of it before it shit the bed. IMHO, the only reason it died was I tried using it as the master to my buddy's HD...
He just wanted me to pull data off of it - that pushed the drive over the edge and it went suicidal.

Where's the pic of a hand moving the cursor off of the "New Post" button when I need it?

There were about 10 left.

Can you get more than one rebate?

Thanks for the heads up.

Your welcome for the heads up, Kev... er... blu.c.3

Did you pick up more than one? What does it say on your receipts about multiples or one per household. I may reverse my thinking and grab a couple myself.

Anyone have a SKU on this item? I want to plan my AM out accordingly, and hit one or two BB's tomorrow. Strike while the iron is hot!

I read it here before you called, but you pushed me over the edge into the buy zone :D

Oh, and both rebates say one per household/product/family/address/poor white boy...

Anyone know if this will still be good tomorrow, assuming they still have some left?

Offer is still good today, but it's slim pickings in my area. 3 drives out in Waldorf MD. Craptastic.

Ratha said:
I hope that Hitachi has resolved its deathstar issues from the past when IBM was producing them. A huge batch of drives failed, and then even after Hitachi took over they produced another two models im told which also had severe physical failures. This was a year or maybe two ago now, but they have a terrible track record as best i know..

Ratha

Man, I don't know how anyone can drive a Ford considering they made the Pinto, which exploded in rear collisions.

And for the record I am STILL using one of those "Deathstars." How you can claim one botched model can lead to a "terrible track record" is beyond me.

I bought 2 of these for the same rebate 6 months ago, one started clicking & video started skipping after 2 months, i RMA'd it on monday got a brand new replacement drive on friday. Im pretty satisfied with what i bought, its one of the best performers out there and is very quiet. What happened to me was probably just a normal drive defect and unlike those deathstars which was bad when it left the factory.

Its a damn good deal, imo.

in for 2.. the packages at my store were a bit beat up but the drives on the inside are in great shape.

Back