Hitachi Announces 1TB Drives

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only has Hitachi announced that it will launch massive 1TB hard drives this year, but they are also saying the price will be less than four hundred dollars.

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies is first to the mat with an announcement of a 1-terabyte hard disk drive. Industry analysts widely expected a 1TB drive to ship sometime in 2007; Hitachi grabbed a head start on the competition by announcing its drive today, just before the largest U.S. consumer electronics show starts next week.

I just got rid of my last Hitachi drive because I couldn't stand the meowing and the click when the head parks. Seagate 7200.10's for me for here on out, thanks!

Mrmm, interesting. Seagate announced on the very same day (more or less) their 1 TB drives... So who REALLY got to the mat first?

Seagate Confirms 1TB Hard Disk Drive

January 4, 2007 3:36 PM

We should expect to see 1TB hard disk drive products within 6 months

Seagate Technology has just released information to DailyTech with regard to the company's upcoming highest capacity hard disk drive to date. At 1TB, if no other hard disk drive manufacturer can catch up, Seagate will have the highest capacity hard drive product to market first.

The 1TB hard disk drive will be based on perpendicular recording technology which packs bits tighter onto the magnetic platter by positioning them perpendicular to the platter as opposed to linear recording which positions bits horizontally. The perpendicular recording technology, which has been in use by Seagate and its platter supplier for over a year now, will be put to the test as Seagate states the 1TB product will implement fewer platters and heads to improve the performance of the drive.

In a statement to DailyTech earlier today, the company claimed:

Seagate’s 1TB hard drive will be our second generation 3.5-inch hard drive to feature capacity-boosting perpendicular recording technology, and it will use fewer heads and discs than similar-capacity products we expect to see from our competitors. It is clear that fewer heads and discs, along with our proven perpendicular technology, can increase drive reliability, and also reduce operating temperatures, power consumption, noise, and weight.

It is confirmed now that we should expect a 1TB Barracuda from Seagate Technology to hit the market in full force sometime in the first half of this calendar year. Seagate was also the first company to announce a 750GB hard drive last year. No company has since announced a drive with 750GB or greater capacity.

Mrmm, interesting. Seagate announced on the very same day (more or less) their 1 TB drives... So who REALLY got to the mat first?

I read that article.

I don't care about announcements, I care about product on shelf.

I hereby announce that my company will be releasing a 1 Petabyte harddrive.
We are first to the mat.

See how silly that sounds?

I am sure both seagate and hitachi (as well as wd, for that matter) have 1 TB drives in their labs. Technically, they should be able to have 940gb drives ON the shelf, as, aren't the platters of the seagate 188Gb each? 188x5 = 940.
Doesn't the current HDD size spec support fitment of up to -6- platters, or is 5 the most you can fit in a 1" drive?

Doesn't WD have a single platter, 250GB drive?

I don't care over announcements either, but if one company toots their horn about being first "to the mat," they need to make sure they indeed are first...

But no biggie, it's nice to see the hard drive companies working to break the TB barrier. I really wished they would make drives quieter, cooler and faster. Let those concepts catch up with the capacity. I'd much rather have a 500 GB cooler-faster-quieter drive than a 1 TB screamer that cooks you lunch... :D

I don't care over announcements either, but if one company toots their horn about being first "to the mat," they need to make sure they indeed are first...

But no biggie, it's nice to see the hard drive companies working to break the TB barrier. I really wished they would make drives quieter, cooler and faster. Let those concepts catch up with the capacity. I'd much rather have a 500 GB cooler-faster-quieter drive than a 1 TB screamer that cooks you lunch... :D

The real bitch about this is, technically, it won't be a TB drive.
It'll be a 930GB drive.

Just built a 1.2 TB array out of cheap 320GB Seagate drives... I was pleased how quiet they are..

Hmm if the 1TB drives hit, it should drive the cost of the smaller drives down even more so I can max out the channels on my controller for around 2TB of space on the cheap. Need to get a bigger power supply first though.. It is sort of maxed out in the current configuration.

$/GB seems to be sweatest on the 320GB drives, although I have seen equal $/GB on some 500GB drives now.

Damn, no editing in the News section. :( :mad:

Sad that there hasn't been an advance in almost a year... Time to switch to trinary, IMO. It became viable the moment they pushed perpendicular recording.

Back