Hitachi 7K1000.B Hard Drive - 1TB $90

I don't see why people would be so concerned with the cache on the super-huge drives these days. Nobody with any sense of what they're doing would dare use such a drive as a system/OS one because you can get much higher performance drives to handle that. The super-huge ones are primarily for raw storage, and even in this day and age an 8MB buffer on a 1TB drive is still vastly more than enough to play back things like Blu-ray content direct off the platters without breaking a sweat at the highest bitrates possible.

Not a bad price on the drive, if I could grab two of 'em I probably would but, as I just bought two 80GB Velociraptors about 2 weeks ago my "play money" is now spent for this month... :)

In time the 1TB drives will drop another $20-30 or so... when I see one for $70-75 I'll probably grab a few for media storage and start working on a server.

I'd probably use a super huge drive as my OS drive :(

Well, I have a hard on for eliminating the "unnecesary" so if I can partition off the space needed for my OS and still have adequate storage space, a drive with higher aerial density may prove to be a better performer than having a separate, smaller drive even considering the cache (not talking about raptors, or ssds here).

Nice price though, 3 year warranty is pretty average but I'll hold out for something a bit better.

I saw this Hitachi drive going for $79.99 AR a while back...

.09/gig isn't bad... I think I'll hold out for .085/gig and 1.5tb or larger though. Seeing how fast I filled up 1tb, adding 2 tb (maxing out my sata ports) wouldn't go very far for me. Thanks for the post though...

I don't see why people would be so concerned with the cache on the super-huge drives these days. Nobody with any sense of what they're doing would dare use such a drive as a system/OS one because you can get much higher performance drives to handle that. The super-huge ones are primarily for raw storage, and even in this day and age an 8MB buffer on a 1TB drive is still vastly more than enough to play back things like Blu-ray content direct off the platters without breaking a sweat at the highest bitrates possible.

You're very mistaken here. When you put this many bits in a hard drive they have to be packed very tightly together. And the smaller the bits are, the more pass under the read/write heads every revolution. As a result, these 'super-huge' drives are good for more than just raw storage.

Here's a review of the 7K1000 in real-world benchmarks:
http://www.storagereview.com/HDS721010KLA330.sr?page=0,2
In several tests the 7K1000 is even faster than the old Raptors.

As an owner of not one but two 80GB Velociraptors, all I'm gonna say is benchmarks lie... ;)

And just for the record, that benchmark is against a Raptor, while the latest are Velociraptors...

Good catch on the Raptor vs. Velociraptor, I should have looked more closely.

As an owner of several Velociraptors, an old Raptor, several 15K SCSI disks, a couple 7K1000s, I'd say the benchmarks are pretty accurate. You're right that there is a tiny increase in responsiveness for the specialty disks, but to say that no one would use them as primary drives is taking it a bit too far.

That is to say, this is a pretty decent deal for a hard drive whatever your purposes may be.

As mentioned before, they were on sale for $79.99 AR about a month ago, but I have a feeling I'll be waiting on those rebates for quite some time.

Well yeah, I'm not arguing that having such a drive as a system drive is a bad evil thing, that's not my point: my point is the OS drive should be the fastest one you can get for the best performance, and too many people equate fast read speeds = best performance and that is simply not true.

While the Hitachi drive may - note I'm saying it may - eek out slightly better average sustained read speed (and I do mean slightly) the fact that it takes 2-3x longer to find that data and start the transfer over a Velociraptor which can find it 2-3x faster and transfer it just as if not as fast makes the Velociraptor the better choice for the system/OS drive, that's all.

I got no beef with having one or more of those Hitachis, I already mentioned that. But in terms of quick snappy responsiveness for the system/OS drive, ain't nothing short of an SSD out there that can touch Velociraptors (and I got mine for $75 each...). :D

Nobody with any sense of what they're doing would dare use such a drive as a system/OS one because you can get much higher performance drives to handle that.

Not everyone wants to dish out $150-300 for a 150-300gb HD... Just because they don't doesn't mean they don't have a sense of what they are doing.
(congrats to you for finding them so cheap)

But we appreciate the lesson Captain Arrogance.

If you want the basics, go to some other forum. This place is about being Hard... or didn't you get the memo? :)

Let's not post Hot Deals then. We're [H]! We fucking pay premium son! No discount shit.

RIGHT. LOL.

:p

Raid 0 on a couple of these is the way to go, cheap and TONS of storage, perfect for the OS!
I've always wanted a Velociraptor, but they cost too much for what they do. Raid a couple of these 1TB drives and you won't miss the Raptors at all.

Raid 0 on a couple of these is the way to go, cheap and TONS of storage, perfect for the OS!
I've always wanted a Velociraptor, but they cost too much for what they do. Raid a couple of these 1TB drives and you won't miss the Raptors at all.

I wouldn't use THESE drives that way but hey...to each their own

A large portion of the benefit to the Raptors is in the higher rotational speed and therefore reduced latencies. Once you through multiple drives on a RAID controller you're dealing with even more latencies. RAID arrays are great for throughput though.

I would very, very strongly not recommend than anyone use RAID 0 for anything other than temporary storage space unless you have a VERY good and consistent backup plan. At this price, though, your cheapest backup option is probably just another drive.

Trust me, RAID 1 is absolutely the most awesome invention in the computer world on when one of your hard drives fails. If you're looking for an additional speed boost, look into RAID 0+1. Skip RAID 5, though.

Which is better software or hardware RAID1? I have Acronis BUT if doing it the hardware way is better than that is what I'll do...... Please advise!

Which is better software or hardware RAID1? I have Acronis BUT if doing it the hardware way is better than that is what I'll do...... Please advise!

You'll want to start a thread in the Storage forum for this.

Long story short, you'll probably be fine with your motherboard's RAID.

Hardware RAID is better in some respects IF you have a good RAID card. A good hardware RAID card is going to be pretty expensive though. Note that the RAID built in to your motherboard is most likely NOT genuine hardware RAID.

Back