Hitachi 2TB Harddrive Owner's Thread

You could create the RAID-6 with 7 drives but don't put any important data on it, then when you get the additional drives, create (NOT expand) a 9 drive RAID-6. That also has a side benefit of exercising your 7 drives to weed out any early failures.

Thanks for the info everybody. I have 10 of these on the way from Newegg ($130 currently); I'll report back with some numbers of my own in a couple days.

Received the 10 drives today. Currently initializing in RAID6 at about 8%/hr (before I started doing other I/O). No drives DOA but I'll give it a few days burn-in before proclaiming flawless victory.

These drives are running pretty cool (29-31C) under the sustained initialization load, cooler than the existing 1TB drives at idle. The existing drives average idle temp has gone up by 1-2 degrees each after the addition of more drives between them (no big deal of course). All those newegg people talking about burning hot Hitachi 2TB drives must not have fans in their cases. :)

rurifan what do you use for your burn-in test?
Nothing fancy. Usually I copy a large amount of data to the new unit that remains available elsewhere until I feel comfortable that everything is healthy. I run crc checks, filesystems checks and the weekly verify operations to hit the whole disk.

This new unit is the first that I have enabled 3ware's Rapid RAID Recovery feature on though, so I'm not sure how reliable an indicator the verify operation will be now. It's supposed to be smart and only verify written data. Enabling this feature also makes me want to avoid large extraneous writes like a drive stress tool would induce. So a little bit of uncharted territory here.

I can't really speak for the 2TB version but I have 3 1TB Hitachi's in my server in raid 5 (MD raid) and so far so good! I use that array for VMs among other stuff so it's quite busy, and keeps up. I will most likely buy Hitachi again next time. I have 4 extra slots so I will probably do either a raid 5 or a raid 10 with 2TB drives. They keep coming down in price which is good.

After the Toyota... I mean Seagate incident, I pretty much avoid Seagates now.

Just ordered two of the 2tb drives. On newegg for 130$. They should be here Monday. I downloaded all the stress tests for them so I can check them out before they find a home in my server. I'll let you guys know if they have any issues.

The limit at Newegg was 5 when I ordered them. They claim you must wait 48 hours, but I placed a second order 12 hours later and they happily sent out 10 drives in the same shipment. Maybe they only enforce the limit when stock is low.

This new unit is the first that I have enabled 3ware's Rapid RAID Recovery feature on though, so I'm not sure how reliable an indicator the verify operation will be now. It's supposed to be smart and only verify written data. Enabling this feature also makes me want to avoid large extraneous writes like a drive stress tool would induce. So a little bit of uncharted territory here.
If anybody cares, here's a little more information. Manual verify of this 10x2TB RAID6 array took 12 hours. Since the unit is nowhere near capacity yet, I infer that a manual verify hits the entire unit (that's good, imo). So RRR must only kick in for critical situations like rebuilds and unclean shutdowns.

Newegg will occasionally have these open box for $105 +$4 shipping. Same mfgr warranty, although I normally put them through a rigorous testing for obvious reason2

These are on sale now for $109 at Fry's right now. Available online too (though it will only let you order 2 at a time).

Thanks for the heads-up Blue_Fox, that is a really nice price, almost makes me wonder if it's a mistake.

Is it in today's Fry's newspaper ad (still ~3 more hours till my paper is delivered)?

I had already ordered two for in-store pick-up when I made my previous post, so all in all it won't really matter if it was a mistake or not, since I'll be able to get them for that price. Still a bit surprising to see Fry's being the first ones to drop the sale price to a new all-time low on the brand-new 7K2000 retail box.

They are also on sale at NewEgg today if you are on their mailing list. $119.99 + free shipping + most likely no tax. (limit 5)

You might be able to add 1-2% from Bing cash back too, though I haven't checked to see exactly what is available. (all in all, it's about the same price as the Fry's deal, though if you need more than 2, it might be easier to get them through NewEgg)

guess this is good time to get some drives, I'm almost out of space.

Is it in today's Fry's newspaper ad (still ~3 more hours till my paper is delivered)?

Yep, the $109.25 price is in today's Fry's newspaper ad. The lower than normal price must have to do with this being Fry's 25th anniversary sale.

anyobody knows how fry's detects "household" ? i'm trying to order more then 2 drives but it keeps removing them even if I use different accounts. Is it IP based?

can't be, i tried shipping 1 order to my house and 2nd to my work, it didn't work

Can you go there? The ad says 2 per household. You can usually just pick four drives, ask to put them on seperate receipts (pay for one with cash), and they are cool.

Just a thought.

If you are in a state with Fry's and want more, you could just buy them off newegg for the same price (after you take tax into consideration). Limit of 5 on there.

no fry's where I live, and I refuse to buy hdds from newegg their packaging sux :p I'll try ordering 2 more when i get home (at work atm) if it doesn't work I'll get my friend to order 2 for me.

Newegg has the retail box drives on sale, so they should survive shipping (as opposed to OEM drives).

Newegg has the retail box drives on sale, so they should survive shipping (as opposed to OEM drives).

good point, retail hdds are already suspended inside the box so they should handle newegg's shipping :D

thanx blue fox, I thought only the bare drives were on sale, newegg's morning email only had the oem drives listed.

Ordered two of these from newegg about a week ago, and just pre ordered two more from frys to pickup tonight! :)

damn just can't win, newegg's $20 off retail hitachi's is just that $20 off, not $20 per drive :( and u can only redeem it once

Try doing orders really quickly. I did 2x orders with 2 Hitachis and 2 WD Greens (each had single drive discounts so I bought one of each on each order. Bought them within a few seconds of each other and it worked. Tried getting another set a few minutes later to no avail discount wise.

I'm really trying hard not to buy these.

did u buy retail or oem drives? when i had multiple retail drives with the hitachi2tb promo code added it was showing just -$20 discount, not $20 per drive. I just had my friend buy some for me, so I'm good for now. Extra 12tb should last me ~6 months.

ya buying large amount is fine u usually get the mfg box (styrofoam block with slots) but if u buying 3-4 its a gamble u might get bubble wrapped drives slamming into each other all the way to ur door.

not true the bare drives have same 3 year warranty
try RMA'ing one.

Bought a 7K1000 bare drive off Ebay on 7/2007. Did an Advance Replacment RMA on 5/2010 (2.8 years later). No issues.

Are you suggesting that the warranty terms have changed on the newer drives? The only hard drives I know of that wouldn't have the manufacturer warranty, are bare drives sold directly by companies like Dell or HP where the warranty ends up being covered by them instead, but only if you own a PC made by the OEM you bought the drive from.

These are one sale again at Fry's as well as online with Newegg, for those that might have missed it. It's time to load up the 'ol server some more. :D

...edit... just saw that others already posed. Oh well, bumped...

I searched the thread and the forum, and didn't see anything on the Hitachi HD32000, how does it compare with the 7K2000?

Back