Hitachi 2TB 7K2000 - $154 FS

there is nothing wrong with hitachi drives, I would buy them over seagates any day, and again it boils down to personal experience, and I have had so many seagates fail on me with clicks of death that its not even a joke, though I haven't tried a seagate in over a year, they might have fixed their issues, but I still hear about them, not as hot as 129 that frys has it for all the time, online and in store, and it goes on sale like every month for 129.

Even if they are less reliable... if you're putting these in a large RAID array so what if they're less reliable. Plan for a failure, buy an extra drive or two, win, profit.

Thanks OP.

What do you mean hmmm?
I had 2 hitachi drives and one died because i dropped it but the warranty was very easy.
They were 20% faster than a pair of black WD drives i had.

I guess some people still associate Hitachi with "Deathstars." That was years ago, move on folks. Some just can't seem to let go...

Fry's has it for $149.

Btw, anyone saying Hitachi drives are unreliable either has bad luck or doesn't know what they're talking about. I've been running Hitachi SATA drives since the Pentium 4 days, and haven't had a single one fail on me. Right now I have four of the 1.5TB drives running in one machine to store Blu-ray rips, they're fantastic drives.

(Not threadcrapping)

How quiet & cool are these compared to some of the 5400RPM 2TB drives, namely the WD Greens?

(Not threadcrapping)

How quiet & cool are these compared to some of the 5400RPM 2TB drives, namely the WD Greens?

Well, due to the fact that these are faster 7200rpm drives, I would presume they are also louder, hotter, and more power hungry.

(Not threadcrapping)

These are 7200rpm drives so they run hotter, louder, and use more power. That being said I noticed these drives have a noticeable whine and the seek clicks are more noticeable than the GP drives.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Thanks for the info, I assumed that they were indeed, louder and hotter, I was just curious as to the magnitude to which they were, given that my next drive(s) purchase is going into a 4-5 bay enclosure, with limited cooling. So... yeh. Thanks :)

My recently failed hitachi's (from drives incl the notorious seagate 1.5tb which has yet to fail) left a bad taste. Would rather get a WD and also have the option for advanced rma.

Most people dont get the seagate firmware updates... I love my Gators...

I absolutely love my hitachi drives. I still have a drive thats about 4 years old still runnin like a champ. I personally prefer them over seagate or western digital, although seagates, been good to me so far. Western digital's, I had die right out the box.

Back