Hit a WCG (World Community Grid) milestone? Post it here:

Today's top 10 contributors. MGMCCALLEY, you are doing well (y) Are you running all your three E5-2620 v1?
View attachment 5224

pututu,

Yup, two in one rig, one in another. Retired a couple of servers of a client of mine, but need to keep them running for at least 6 months for reference, so until they can be repurposed they'll be dedicated BOINC rigs. I just run them 24/7, CPU only, in a server rack along with my F@H rigs. I had another 8 core AMD running it for a while but it cut into my video card function on that rig, still not sure what caused that, maybe just heat, but I A/C that room to 75 F or below, so who knows. I just ordered another 2620 to round out the systems. In 6 months or so all 4 will be pulled to upgrade other systems and I'll buy 4 more of a v2 model (the max that the SM motherboards can handle) and see if I can push the production up a bit. The hex-cores are so cheap, but eventually the 8 and 10 cores will come down in price as well, and I'll be sure to grab some when the market floods with them. Any ideas on what procs to put in them next? Motherboard is SM X9DAi Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DAi in a full SM server, barebones: SUPERMICRO SYS-7047A-T 4U Rackmountable / Tower Server Barebone Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602 DDR3 1600/1333/1066/800-Newegg.com And I'll probably put a couple of 1080 Ti FE cards in each when they come out, assuming I can get enough airflow in that case so that the top (right) card doesn't overheat. Anybody have any 1080 FE cards in SLI? Did the new style solve the heat issue when stacking them together?

And brilong/plext0r, good lord man, I see where you moved all your hardware to after pulling them out of F@H. Congrats on dominating PPD yet again in another category. What does a 980 Ti do for WCG anyway? I might move some of them over when I get some 1080 Ti cards running on F@H.

Oh, and since this is the forum for this, got my first two badges! A bronze and a silver, nothing to write home about, but it's something I suppose.

MC
pututu,

Yup, two in one rig, one in another. Retired a couple of servers of a client of mine, but need to keep them running for at least 6 months for reference, so until they can be repurposed they'll be dedicated BOINC rigs. I just run them 24/7, CPU only, in a server rack along with my F@H rigs. I had another 8 core AMD running it for a while but it cut into my video card function on that rig, still not sure what caused that, maybe just heat, but I A/C that room to 75 F or below, so who knows. I just ordered another 2620 to round out the systems. In 6 months or so all 4 will be pulled to upgrade other systems and I'll buy 4 more of a v2 model (the max that the SM motherboards can handle) and see if I can push the production up a bit. The hex-cores are so cheap, but eventually the 8 and 10 cores will come down in price as well, and I'll be sure to grab some when the market floods with them. Any ideas on what procs to put in them next? Motherboard is SM X9DAi Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DAi in a full SM server, barebones: SUPERMICRO SYS-7047A-T 4U Rackmountable / Tower Server Barebone Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602 DDR3 1600/1333/1066/800-Newegg.com And I'll probably put a couple of 1080 Ti FE cards in each when they come out, assuming I can get enough airflow in that case so that the top (right) card doesn't overheat. Anybody have any 1080 FE cards in SLI? Did the new style solve the heat issue when stacking them together?

And brilong/plext0r, good lord man, I see where you moved all your hardware to after pulling them out of F@H. Congrats on dominating PPD yet again in another category. What does a 980 Ti do for WCG anyway? I might move some of them over when I get some 1080 Ti cards running on F@H.

Oh, and since this is the forum for this, got my first two badges! A bronze and a silver, nothing to write home about, but it's something I suppose.
Congrats on your first two badges on WCG. No matter how big or small the contribution, it is most welcome here!

Actually the E5-2670 is going for around $70 each in Ebay (US seller), cheaper than E5-2620. You can get less from China (you have to be selective though). This will give you 16C/32T on your 2p SM board. If you really want to add more rigs, you can get 2p 2670 + 64GB RAM + motherboard for less than $500 here. I was tempted to get one in May but instead I upgraded the E5-2670 to E5-2695v2 on my Asus board. Use to fold occasionally in the past but during summer times, CPU crunching generates less heat than GPU folding. Another good reason to start crunching over the summer days... The team could use your GPU power during the last pentathlon.

Ok, enough of hijacking this forum on hardware discussion. After about 10 days of 24/7 WCG crunching (mix of MCM, UGM and OZ projects), I'm averaging around 13K- 14K BOINC ppd for the E5-2695. I'll keep posting the average ppd, if this would help you to choose the CPU. My E5-2670 produces about 9K BOINC ppd in the past. If there is an interest in crunching hardware discussion, maybe we can post a new thread?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
MGMCCALLEY

pututu,

GPU's don't currently help WCG as they do not currently have any apps that utilize them. They have only had one app which was Help Conquer Cancer and it was completed 1.5 years early because of it. Since WCG does not code any of the applications, it is up to the scientists to adopt the technology. They also don't put their code out to open source, so there is little to no help from the donor base. The upside to that is that you don't have to worry as much about cheating and science tainting.

Pututu,

I just bought the other 2620 to round out the systems. I'm unsure of my future in the 2P arena. It's much easier for me to resell video cards to my gamer friends than it is to repurpose 2P servers. I only have about 5 businesses I support, and they have widely varying server requirements, but no two are alike. I'll probably stick with the 2620s until they're pulled to upgrade the other 2P systems that only have one proc. Then I'll definitely look into the 2670s, or whatever happens to be the best value at that time. Who knows, maybe you'll upgrade again and I can snag those 2695s from you, assuming they're V2. I don't think my SM boards support V3 or V4 procs, at least not officially.

And yeah, we should totally start a BOINC/WCG hardware thread if there isn't one currently active. I'm a hardware nut by nature, M$ guy by necessity, and gamer at heart, but I love these discussions.

Gilthanis,

So at least I say something on-topic here, thanks for the heads-up on WCG video card status. There are so many more BOINC projects floating around that it makes F@H seem like child's play to make hardware purchasing decisions. My other 2620 should arrive soon, so maybe I'll be in the top 10 daily producers for a while, even if it is only 1% of the team effort.

Pututu, want to take point on a hardware thread? I'd love to see what everyone else is running for BOINC and WCG. I get a real kick out of PPD/Watt/$ discussions and love to drool over the 4P systems that some of you guys are running.

zika_6.jpg
oet1_8.jpg

Hey quick question everyone. Does enabling hyper-threading do anything for WCG performance or stats? I currently have it turned off on all the Xeons, but I can turn it back on when I add the new proc to the mix.

I think you better turn ON the hyper-threading on the Xeons for the WCG projects. I did not run a detail study but I notice that if I run 50% of the threads, I get shorter run time per WU but the total Xeon output in points is much less than running 100% of the threads. IIRC you don't get twice the output but slightly less than 2X but still a lot more output. Sorry, I don't have any statistics to share at this moment, just pure observation that I did some time ago when I first started crunching WCG. For the PrimeGrid LLR type of project, there is an advantage of turning OFF the hyperthreading or running 50% of the threads.

I think there is a thread about it on this forum. Just to give you my numbers : I have 16 Xeon cores running 24/7, but, with HT on, I generate on wcg stats between 19 and 21 days of computing per calendar day, depending on project diet. So I would estimate the HT boost to 15-30% depending on projects. All this on Linux.

It is probably discussed in the WCG thread. But yes, HT IIRC is ~50% more than with it turned off in general. No hard statistics on this from me though.

Just passed 600,000 B-points milestone and I'm in the BOINCstats' first page (top 100 contributors in the team).:)

Got Ruby
upload_2016-7-20_21-20-36.png
for UGM.

Brilong's pie is getting bigger.

BTW, I'm still in the top 10 producers...:D

upload_2016-7-20_21-20-0.png

Added the other 2620 and running a side-by-side comparison between HT on and HT off. Also fired up a quad-core Xeon for a server soak test. I do feel a little sad that making the top 5 PPD almost doesn't show on the pie chart, lol. Congrats on another DCer of the month brilong/plext0r! Better update your sig again. (y)

HT will produce better. Linux tends to also bring better results too. (expected) Especially on any of the VINA related applications. Some people see up to 50% better results under Linux running VINA applications. I have not broken it down myself though.

OpenZika 400,014 975 0:104:05:58:45
zika_2.jpg

Help Stop TB 36,287 21 0:009:11:40:24
FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2 815,089 316 0:230:05:03:46
fahb_3.jpg

Outsmart Ebola Together 276,437 918 0:088:04:24:08
oet1_1.jpg

Uncovering Genome Mysteries 76,887 125 0:020:08:28:37
ugm1_0.jpg

Mapping Cancer Markers 2,207,620 2,798 1:234:10:18:23
mcm1_4.jpg

FightAIDS@Home 33,443 87 0:005:22:02:04
The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 1,934 4 0:000:08:11:51

Is this decent for my first month(ish)? Been thinking about swapping out my 4 2620s for 2670s and stepping it up a notch like pututu suggested. Added another 6 cores from a 1P AMD rig, snuck into the top 5 producer for the team a couple of times, so I feel pretty good about that. It seems WCG favors Mapping Cancer Markers, at least for my rigs, which is fine, that's why I got into F@H in the first place. On a related note, hoping to hit top 10 on the team in F@H by my birthday. Never thought I'd see that day either. Happy to be contributing.

You will find that there is a difference in scoring between the sub projects. IIRC HSTB has really long run times and scores lower than projects like OpenZika that has very short run times. If you look at the first post in the WCG thread here: World Community Grid there is a chart with a break down of a lot of stats. I believe the average points per hour of run time is at the bottom.

Well done MGMCCALLEY, AgrFan!

Watch out fellows. Fastgeek is coming up really fast. No pun intended. Eating into brilong's big pie today:whistle:

upload_2016-8-9_20-40-46.png

After a bit of a hiatus, OpenZika has reached Diamond 20.
zika_8.jpg

Now I'm not sure what kind of digital army brilong is commanding... but *burp*. Was at ~30.5% earlier over all and ~50% of his output. There is still a 4P-Ivy and 2P-Haswell boxes still doing PG TRP-SV that I haven't tracked down yet; however even with those online I'm not sure I can do much better than that!

WCG-11AUG2016.jpg

After a bit of a hiatus, OpenZika has reached Diamond 20.
zika_8.jpg

Now I'm not sure what kind of digital army brilong is commanding... but *burp*. Was at ~30.5% earlier over all and ~50% of his output. There is still a 4P-Ivy and 2P-Haswell boxes still doing PG TRP-SV that I haven't tracked down yet; however even with those online I'm not sure I can do much better than that!

WCG-11AUG2016.jpg
Here is brilong's active army of hardware. It is very very impressive.

Ye Gods! That's just an insane list of systems! Only thing I can say is.... ummm... I don't see any E7's in his list? :p

Here is brilong's active army of hardware. It is very very impressive.

That is a massive server farm for being privately owned. It reminds me of the server count that FLECOM had back in the day. If only they had a GPU client I'd move some hardware that direction. People are dropping off the F@H list left and right. I don't know if I should be happy or sad that I'm at the top of the PPD list for F@H now. I thought about getting one of those servers that holds 8 2-slot video cards, but it's cheaper to build 4 dual-card boxes and easier to resell. And none of it would really help WCG right now anyway. Anyone know why they haven't invested more in GPU clients for WCG? It seems like it would be more efficient.

WCG does not code any of the science applications and is fully ready to support GPU's as they have once before in the past. It is up to the scientists to develop for GPU's as they are the ones that modify all of the code. They do not release the source code to the public either for several good reasons, so unless a project decides to do it or a new sub project comes along with a GPU application, we are stuck with what we have.

Don't tell me I'm the only one silly enough to buy all his own hardware.

Don't tell me I'm the only one silly enough to buy all his own hardware.

Of course not! Know quite a few, if not most, people here have their own systems that are 100% paid for by them. :) Some of us just have access to a lot of idle hardware. In my case that hardware can come/go at anytime, but can safely say that I'm not borging :borg: anything. Well, ok, one system; but it's directly under my control and sits idle 95% of the time (if not more)... did set BOIC to relinquish resources fairly aggressively to be safe. Now some people out there clearly work in IT (I don't) and have borged hundreds of desktops/laptops with BOINC running as a silent service. That's not cool, IMHO, but to each their own. ;)

Oh, BTW, I did spin up a 4P E5-4640 Broadwell system Tuesday night; should be able to run it through the weekend. (y)

Of course not! Know quite a few, if not most, people here have their own systems that are 100% paid for by them. :) Some of us just have access to a lot of idle hardware. In my case that hardware can come/go at anytime, but can safely say that I'm not borging :borg: anything. Well, ok, one system; but it's directly under my control and sits idle 95% of the time (if not more)... did set BOIC to relinquish resources fairly aggressively to be safe. Now some people out there clearly work in IT (I don't) and have borged hundreds of desktops/laptops with BOINC running as a silent service. That's not cool, IMHO, but to each their own. ;)

Oh, BTW, I did spin up a 4P E5-4640 Broadwell system Tuesday night; should be able to run it through the weekend. (y)

I'm interested to see the results as well. I believe plext0r may have a similar system to compare it to. I myself have been trying to part together a 4P 4650 V1 rig that I found a cheap new Intel mobo for at $250 and considered some ES chips on Ebay to populate it at under $200 each. Would the 4640 be a cheaper PPD/$ alternative right now? I didn't see any good deals on those on EBay at the moment, at least not from a U.S. seller.

Oh, and just to stay true to the thread, I cleared the top 100 in the team a few days ago so I'm on page 1 finally in the WCG stats. Happy to be in the running for top 10 PPD for WCG.

Back