Hit a Folding (Stanford) milestone? Post it here:

Fair enough! It's an embarrassingly pedestrian decade old 911. I keed I keed, I'm sure it's still an amazing car, but I swear I'm going to 'Wash Me' tag it sometime...

As of right now I will do about a billion a month. Each update brings more points than I did back in 2011ish over the course of 2 months. With better aka newer hardware it's a lot easier to do now.

Yes better hardware BUT where it really started to take off is with adoption of GPU folding. Back when they decided to award points a Pentium 4 was benchmarked and the standard set. (P4 - 2.8 GHz I believe). Even modern CPU's don't get the massive PPD that a mid or low range GPU does nowadays. I'll console myself with my total WU's while my scalp heals ... ;)

Heh, you people talking about your billions and billion per month and I'm sitting here having just finally hit 200 million.

Sure, I haven't done much of anything with F@H in more than a decade for the most part and wouldn't even be doing anything right now if it wasn't for the WCG mess. But I do what I can, especially since the temps have for the most part been dropping and I can use the extra heat.

Also, I have jack for hardware anymore. Just a 1050Ti which puts out less points than my 5800x, the 5800x and a single RX570 since my son's RX570 got sent back to him to do service in his Jellyfin server machine I was finally able to build. Still, it's better than nothing and somehow allows me to flirt with being in the top 20 on the team from time to time.

It had been years since I last loaded F@H. It took me something like 5 years to get to 19M points. I've added the next 50M in just over one month using a 6700XT running @ 100W. It's crazy the difference in computer power available today.

I never imagined getting into the top 100 on HardOCP team any time soon, but I got into crypto mining so I ended up with better GPUs for folding and now, for the time being, occupy the number 6 spot for points contribution to team [H]!

F@H top ten HardOCP 2022-10-23.jpg

Heh, you people talking about your billions and billion per month and I'm sitting here having just finally hit 200 million.

Sure, I haven't done much of anything with F@H in more than a decade for the most part and wouldn't even be doing anything right now if it wasn't for the WCG mess. But I do what I can, especially since the temps have for the most part been dropping and I can use the extra heat.

Also, I have jack for hardware anymore. Just a 1050Ti which puts out less points than my 5800x, the 5800x and a single RX570 since my son's RX570 got sent back to him to do service in his Jellyfin server machine I was finally able to build. Still, it's better than nothing and somehow allows me to flirt with being in the top 20 on the team from time to time.
It's not about the hardware you have or don't have. It's about folding and the contributions you make. Big or small every work unit counts.

Congratulations! What hardware are you rocking?
Two Dell Optiplexes - 990 (i7-2600) and 7020 (i5-4590) - 80K PPD.

All my FAH points are from CPU work. No GPUs. Started way back in 2007 with a few single core boxes. Stopped running FAH a long time ago.

I started running FAH again during the WCG migration. I moved both machines back to WCG tonight.

Last edited:
I don't fold much. I participated in the EOL challenge this year. I also did it last year which was my first crack at folding but up until now, those two events were the only folding I had done. Earlier this month I decided to run F@H on the server and HTPC in my sig and just let them go. As of last night I hit 100 million points.

aaa.png

A hand full of 2080/2080S's
It is my goal to have a multi gpu box set up before the end of the year.
Do you think a few 4060TIs would be good? It looks like the 4070 gets about 6 million ppd each on windows so it would be lower ppd than that each.
Of course, for the price I could just go with a 4090; but I hate to have a 4090 dedicated to just folding.
It would almost be a crime not to game on it.

Do you think a few 4060TIs would be good? It looks like the 4070 gets about 6 million ppd each on windows so it would be lower ppd than that each.
Of course, for the price I could just go with a 4090; but I hate to have a 4090 dedicated to just folding.

I'd say go with 1-2 4070ti. Honestly that is what I would do over my current 4090 setup.

1x 4070ti is almost 2x the ppd of a 4070 for $200 more. 2x 4070ti is going to be 1.5x the ppd of a 4090 for the same price.

Last edited:
If you want to support multiple GPU's in the same box I agree with russnuck with the 4070ti's. The 4090 is nice if you are limited on slots or space in a box. Also, if one of the 4070ti's goes down the other can continue chugging along while the other gets addressed. Probably be easier to offload them later too if you decide to do that. I don't do much gaming and the games my kids sucker me into playing with them all can be played on highest settings while FAH continues to run on the GPU and BOINC using the CPU's...

Just looked at the stats page, and Daym @chemist_slime what are you running!? Overtake @ 45 Million a day!?

He is averaging almost 52 MIL a day in output. That's a hell of a lot of hardware.

Several 4090's can achieve that number. The 4000 series cards are folding beasts.
On average, a single 4090 can do 27M PPD in linux, almost 2.5X 3090 series. Even 4070 Ti seems to be doing well and use much less power than 3090 series.

If someone runs 4090 for a full year, that will be 9.8B points in FAH.

1699721510297.png

Daang Daniel! I guess I'll really need to upgrade when the 5xxx series comes out!

I want to get a 4070 Ti for F@H, but I cannot afford that right now. Saving for Xbox Series X purchase around Black Friday since MS is not supporting Xbox One X any more.
On average, a single 4090 can do 27M PPD in linux, almost 2.5X 3090 series. Even 4070 Ti seems to be doing well and use much less power than 3090 series.

If someone runs 4090 for a full year, that will be 9.8B points in FAH.

View attachment 612639

Back