History behind Windows and the man who should have been Bill Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, now you're just being ludicrous and posting just to be fucking posting, seriously. If what you just said had any truth to it, then 2.5 billion people wouldn't own smartphones or use them daily multiple times - can't get much more average than that.

And this thread just continues rolling towards the inevitable lock. I am amazed it has survived this far, truly. ;)

In B00nie's defense, and I think the point he's making is: You wouldn't use your smart phone to type up a document. In that scenario a desktop machine is by far the more suitable option in that scenario and when it comes to desktop machines we aren't as limited in out choice of OS as we were back in the late 90s or early 2000s.

Having said that, my Samsung Tab S2 9.7" works really well with the keyboard folio when it comes to large documents, but I wouldn't ever use my smart phone for such a task. :)

Having said that, my Samsung Tab S2 9.7" works really well with the keyboard folio when it comes to large documents, but I wouldn't ever use my smart phone for such a task. :)

I wouldn't say never. Dex keeps getting better and better. Since Samsung launched it, they have updated it to allow you to use the phone as a track pad when connected... for the phone to work as a second screen... and they have added Linux software support via a Dex desktop VM.

Using your phone in the same way you would use a chrome book type device seems pretty easy to do these days. Phones and networks are only going to get better. At some point it will all be completely wireless and fairly painless to walk up to a "workstation" hit a button on your keyboard and log into your phones DE without ever taking it out of your pocket.

Anyway never say never... that seems to be where its going. For a lot of people that is all the need. My father for instance.... uses a little mini laptop looking thing that runs android, Not even sure where my sister got it for him. Works fine for him though.. a few web pages, he can say "hey google" to it, and check the one email he gets a month. At some point the average person is going to have zero need of a desktop or a laptop and I really don't think its that far off.

OK, now you're just being ludicrous and posting just to be fucking posting, seriously. If what you just said had any truth to it, then 2.5 billion people wouldn't own smartphones or use them daily multiple times - can't get much more average than that.

And this thread just continues rolling towards the inevitable lock. I am amazed it has survived this far, truly. ;)

Use them daily as desktop computer replacements? You must be fucking kidding me. Calling and random check on internet does not replace a desktop computer. The touch keyboard by itself is so bad to use that even typing a single web address becomes uninviting.

Most people who own smartphones never do anything 'smart' with them. Check the weather, check latest headlines from a site you cumbersombly managed to type and save to bookmarks. Check your e-mail as long as it doesn't have any larger attachments or documents... That's it.

Personally I don't even check my e-mail on the phone because it's just not worth it unless I'm traveling somewhere and I don't have access to a real computer.

I wear trifocals and I can read the text in my iPhone 6. You seem to grasping at straws.
I call that bullshit. You will have to zoom any web page that's designed to work at desktop resolutions, trifocals or not. Those look like fly shits on screen (and I have an iPhone 6s+).

Zooming means the whole UX of the page is broken and it's no longer very usable.

Of course teenagers will do all softs of things using their phones which no sane person would. Just because they've never learned an easier way.

In B00nie's defense, and I think the point he's making is: You wouldn't use your smart phone to type up a document. In that scenario a desktop machine is by far the more suitable option in that scenario and when it comes to desktop machines we aren't as limited in out choice of OS as we were back in the late 90s or early 2000s.

The Samsung is based on linux kernel so it's really just another reason not to have to use Windows. Although I strongly disagree anyone in their right mind would want to be limited to a 9.7" screen for daily tasks. If people would like tiny screens there wouldn't be a strong and growing market for larger and larger desktop monitors.

The Samsung is based on linux kernel so it's really just another reason not to have to use Windows. Although I strongly disagree anyone in their right mind would want to be limited to a 9.7" screen for daily tasks. If people would like tiny screens there wouldn't be a strong and growing market for larger and larger desktop monitors.

Don't forget the original Apple Macintosh with it's trendy, tiny screen. People lapped them up, many authors used them to write novels!

However, I tend to agree. I don't use my Samsung for any form of content creation, but the fact is that if I need to I can do so fairly comfortably. I can even resize applications into fully floating windows and multitask like a desktop. BTW, it's running Android, which literally is mobile Linux.

Don't forget the original Apple Macintosh with it's trendy, tiny screen. People lapped them up, many authors used them to write novels!

However, I tend to agree. I don't use my Samsung for any form of content creation, but the fact is that if I need to I can do so fairly comfortably. I can even resize applications into fully floating windows and multitask like a desktop. BTW, it's running Android, which literally is mobile Linux.

When the original Macintosh came out, those were very large screens for their time. If people could have opted for current 30" screens for a cost that is not a new house, they would have. No doubt about it.

When the original Macintosh came out, those were very large screens for their time. If people could have opted for current 30" screens for a cost that is not a new house, they would have. No doubt about it.

I still love the portrait display of the Macintosh IIx range, they were a beautiful display at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back